Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2014, 09:25 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Clearcoat and paint problem

I have the clearcoat peeling off the front of my 2007 Suncruiser over the windshield and slightly along the roof curve along the sides . There is also some paint damage along the front curve as well. Does anyone have any idea how much did it would cost to have this repaired? Also, can anyone recommend a paint shop in the Phoenix to Apache Junction area?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1090842.JPG
Views:	231
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	60709  
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:51 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Maybe some locals can recommend a specific shop.
If I didn't know the area (which I do not) then I would call the RV dealers and ask them who does their paint work. There are probly several. Roll in, get an estimate.

(I could also call my sis that live over there, but they don't have a RV.)

That kinda sucks. :(

If it's just the front cap, my guess would be a few hundred to a grand. All depends on how much time they think they'll put in on it. Nice thing is paint is easy to match, winnie paint codes are readily available.

You could always go to mexico too.
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:57 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I'm having the upper front, the upper sides and upper rear cap redone on mine and estimate is about $1400 in Grants Pass, Oregon. Lot of prep work, sanding & taping to get it looking right.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 11:32 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I had my front cap done at maaco for 350.00 I brought it in at 8 am and it was done at noon. This was 2 years ago..
KA7UYZ NRA Endowment Member Retired Fire Service
dnystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 12:36 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sage View Post
I have the clearcoat peeling off the front of my 2007 Suncruiser over the windshield and slightly along the roof curve along the sides . There is also some paint damage along the front curve as well. Does anyone have any idea how much did it would cost to have this repaired? Also, can anyone recommend a paint shop in the Phoenix to Apache Junction area?

Doug,
Quality paint work is MONEY! What you're seeing is pretty common, on a many, many motorhomes, a zillion cars and trucks, all over America. Go into any parking lot, anywhere and you'll see at least one, if not more, peeling clear coat on any type vehicle, foreign or domestic. Now, with that being said, just how good of a repair on your coach will be determined by:

1. Just how much prep work the painters intend on doing.
2. The quality of the materials used. (There's a good half dozen clear coat applications out there)
3. Just how much money you want to spend.

You can get your job done for way cheap. But, how long will it last? And, what will it look like when it's done?

I did a boo-boo on ours back a while ago. Somebody moved our house while I was backing up and I hit the corner of our eaves with the upper rear corner of the back cap of our '04 Itasca Horizon, 36GD with full body paint.

Well, I don't know if you saw the pictures or not but, there was some serious damage back there. That impact, which by the way was done at about 1/4 of a mile an hour, caused stress cracks all over that rear cap. Even in places that are quite a distance away from the impact area. So, long story short, the place that did the repair here in the San Diego area, did a phenomenal job in repair.

All in all, by the time it was all said and done, the complete removal of the rear cap, repair from the "INSIDE" of the cap, re-install of the cap and beauty work done, it came out at $8500.00. But, the work was/is absolutely flawless. And, they didn't even call the company that Winne and Itasca use for painting their coaches. They mixed the paints right there and came up with flawlessly perfect matches.

So my point, if you want good quality work, expect to pay for it. I too have the starting of some clear coat peeling on some of the radius's on ours. I expect to pay around $1500 or more for real good work. We'll see.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 03:13 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I had clear coat flaking on the front and rear bumper and on one basement door (all painted surfaces). In Spokane we have a paint shop that does a lot of work for the RV shops in the area and has a good reputation for quality work. So that is where I went.
The cost for those 3 spots was $2500. While it was in the shop I asked how much it would be to add another basement door and was quoted $800. So good work isn't cheap. I also asked what it would run to paint all the grey paint in the lower section of the coach and was quoted a total of $5000 (another $2500). I should have gone ahead with it since I now have some more clear coat peeling.... but geez I wasn't prepared to spend $5000 for some paint work. Of course now I have been acclaimated to the price of things now days so $5k doesn't sound like much when an all coach paint job runs $15-20k.
Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 07:18 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Those numbers sound like about double what they should be. An overall runs $6-$8K here.

And yes, if you have some flaking clearcoat in certain areas you can bet the rest of it isn't far behind.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:13 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romeo View Post
Of course now I have been acclaimated to the price of things now days so $5k doesn't sound like much when an all coach paint job runs $15-20k.
When I mentioned $15-$20, I was thinking of a Precision Painting jobhttp://www.precisionpaintingrv.com/. This is the range I have heard of.

Here in Spokane I think it would run in the range of $10-15K from what I was told (not a real estimate).

Of course one could go to Algodones Mexico and have the Navarros Bros. do it for around $5000, but it doesn't look like they remove much of the exterior fittings before painting. .
Old 07-20-2014, 08:42 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Looks great. I wonder what kind of paint they're using.

Is that a random youtube vid or someone you know?

They charge $5K in Mexico? $6K in Huntington Beach. Again, I do not know what kind of paint.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:57 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Paint Job

Hi Guys,

The top of our coach back and front with sides started to peel, we went back
winnebago and got them to repaint these areas, our cost at their paint facility was around $700 and they did it in one day.

2003 Winnebago Journey DL 39, Cat 330 2 slideouts
Luv2journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 10:06 PM   #11

It all comes back to; What kind of warrantee and for how long.
You get what you pay for.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 10:23 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romeo View Post
Of course one could go to Algodones Mexico and have the Navarros Bros. do it for around $5000...,
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJBROWN View Post
Looks great. I wonder what kind of paint they're using.
Is that a random youtube vid or someone you know?
They charge $5K in Mexico? $6K in Huntington Beach. Again, I do not know what kind of paint.
The video is from Navarros Bros. in Algodones, Mx. They do have a web site but the links to photos isn't working. If you do a
google search on Navarros Bros. you should find several posts on the web regarding people that have used them. I haven't talked to Navarros Bros. so don't know what brand and type of paint they use,
Old 07-21-2014, 07:29 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

I had this same issue about three years ago with the upper cap pealing and the orange staining behind the 3M front mask on my 04 Journey. Cost was too high to re-paint so I did something very different that I get a bunch of great comments when I'm out camping. I went and had them apply black Line-X on the upper cap and had the same thing done on the front but had them match it with main body color of the coach. It was about $700.00 for everything. I don't need to worry about rock chips and the bugs come off with ease. For some people who don't know what line-X is, it's that spray on bed liner for trucks. Very durable.
Ed O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:48 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggy Daddy View Post
It all comes back to; What kind of warrantee and for how long.
You get what you pay for.
Sometimes people will just rip you off if you don't know better.
Plus I hate trying to collect on a warranty, paint, mechanical, or otherwise.

I also know you can pay $65 a gallon for clearcoat, or $450. And there is a difference!

And finally, when talking about paint finish, does the final finish include wet sand and polish? It's the difference between a so-so finish and like-glass finish. For an old coach it may not matter, but will on one with a high finish.

Tags
paint