Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-18-2018, 09:54 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Cleaning Cushion Covers

I have a Micro Minnie 2108DS and I spilled orange juice on the dinette seat. I took the cover off immediately and I need to clean the cover. Does anyone know if these covers need to be dry cleaned or can I put it in the washer? Thank you.
waglover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 10:37 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Is there any mention of how to care for the seat covers in your RV manual? I believe I would contact Winnebago Customer Service and ask them. If the covers are washable, you'd probably need to use cold water and gentle cycle. Also don't put them in the dryer...you definitely don't want them to shrink!! Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 01:35 PM   #3

I'd suggest a dry cleaner well known in the area for quality work.
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 01:34 PM   #4
Itasca Owners

Treat this like you would any other upholstery. Zippers on cushions are there for the maker, not so you can remove them for cleaning.

1. Scrape off excess orange.
2. Mix one tablespoon of liquid hand dishwashing detergent with two cups of cool water.
3. Using a clean white cloth, sponge the stain with the detergent solution.
4. Blot until the liquid is absorbed.
5. Repeat Steps 3 and 4 until the stain disappears.
6. Sponge with cold water and blot dry.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 06:28 PM   #5

If the maker can stuff the cushioning in, I can take it out, have it dry cleaned and stuff it back in. I have done so.
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 04:57 AM   #6
Itasca Owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryW View Post
If the maker can stuff the cushioning in, I can take it out, have it dry cleaned and stuff it back in. I have done so.
Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should. Some upholstery does not have removable foam. Some fabrics require buttons sewn into the cushion to keep the fabric in place. Some cushions are mounted to plywood or fastened over springs. You can clean almost all of them with the right approach.

When we make cushions or re-upholster cushions, we cover the foam insert with a light plastic material. This makes it easier to insert the foam and also keeps the foam from getting wet when someone spills something on it.

In most cases, the fabric can be cleaned and dried without removing the foam insert. If you can do that, you are much better off than running to the dry cleaner every time you have a minor spill.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 04:36 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

I just bought a 2004 Winnie and didn't know if it had ever been cleaned. I took the covers off the dinette cushions, washed them on the gentle cycle in cold water with a little detergent. As soon as the cycle was done, I put them back on the cushions and stood them up to dry. Came out perfect!
Wanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 05:11 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Cleaning Cushion Covers

Thank you all for your suggestions. I did take it to the dry cleaners and it will be ready next week. Rather be safe than sorry. Thanks again.
waglover is offline   Reply With Quote