Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2019, 02:12 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Question Check rear outside tire air pressure

Winnebago Sunstar 29VE class A. The valve stem on the rear outside tire is located on the inside. We can not reach it with an air hose and can not find a extension that will fit. How do you check air pressure or add air to the tire?
Thank You
PR47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 04:35 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

One of these should work. They're also available with a built in pressure gauge:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Primefit...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

You're not going to find these attached to a typical gas station air pump which is one of the reasons many of us carry our own compressors. There are several threads about compressor choices on both Winnieowners.com and IRV2.com. Some go for compact 12v units while others, like myself go for 120v units that can do double duty at home, like this:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/CRAFTSMAN-6...sor/1000595167

In any case, you need one that has a high enough air pressure. In general, the 120v models will do a quicker job.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 04:36 PM   #3
Wandering Two

You need to have that checked. I'm not very knowledgeable about mechanics, but that would be such a poor design that someone HAD to have installed something incorrectly. An engineer that designed a wheel like that would have been fired!

Call Winnebago. I've found their customer service to be very helpful.
Old 03-02-2019, 04:43 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayc2640 View Post
You need to have that checked. I'm not very knowledgeable about mechanics, but that would be such a poor design that someone HAD to have installed something incorrectly. An engineer that designed a wheel like that would have been fired!

Call Winnebago. I've found their customer service to be very helpful.
My understanding is this is not an unusual practice and is common, if not the standard, for over-the-road trucks (semis). Here's a thread on just this topic. It is, however, inconvenient and I'd go to a truck tire shop and find out how much they'd charge to re-position the valve stems:

Tire valve stem position - iRV2 Forums
Old 03-02-2019, 05:11 PM   #5
Wandering Two

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
My understanding is this is not an unusual practice and is common, if not the standard, for over-the-road trucks (semis). Here's a thread on just this topic. It is, however, inconvenient and I'd go to a truck tire shop and find out how much they'd charge to re-position the valve stems:

Tire valve stem position - iRV2 Forums
Thanks for the info. It's something to look for when I get my tires changed.
Old 03-02-2019, 05:25 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayc2640 View Post
Thanks for the info. It's something to look for when I get my tires changed.
It might not be that expensive. I've seen postings where others have had new, extended valve stems mounted for $50/tire and re-positioning is simpler.
Old 03-02-2019, 10:42 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

If you switch the inside tire to the outside that stem will still be on the inside.

Give Dually Valves and when the ask, give them your information and they will sell you a set of stems that will be on the outside.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 04:56 PM   #8
2004 Minnie 29B

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR47 View Post
Winnebago Sunstar 29VE class A. The valve stem on the rear outside tire is located on the inside. We can not reach it with an air hose and can not find a extension that will fit. How do you check air pressure or add air to the tire?
Thank You
The chuck that linked to will solve the problem but as noted you usually need to have your own compressor. I have tried the add on valve stem extenders but after almost destroying 4 new tires when the valve extenders broke loose and wore holes into the sides of the new tires, I will not use the add on extenders anymore. … Has anyone seen any the air chucks with the ends being at 180 instead of 30 deg (like the one shown in the home depot link)?
RV Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 05:12 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Check a good tire shop. I had the tire removed from the rim and the stem turned around. Think it was only about 60 bucks for both sides. Not bad and it solved the problem Winnebago seems to do that on their coached y. Not sure why because they can order them the proper way
onholdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 05:31 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Try This...

I just had these installed on my Navion and they solve the problem... pricey, but solid!
http://yourtireshopsupply.com/category/796_832/sprinter-trucks
abqmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 06:41 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by onholdguy View Post
Check a good tire shop. I had the tire removed from the rim and the stem turned around. Think it was only about 60 bucks for both sides. Not bad and it solved the problem Winnebago seems to do that on their coached y. Not sure why because they can order them the proper way
I'd like to see a picture of that.

I've owned duallies for years now. My brothers are both OTR truckers. All of the dually rims we've ever dealt with had the holes all on the side where it is "dished-out". That places the valve stem to the inside on the rear outer tires. Unless they drill a new hole, how are they getting the valve stems to be on the outside?

As for the normal mounting method, a dual-foot air chuck is the tool you need. And yes, you can get tire valve extensions, but they could leak. Always buy the braided stainless steel ones. If you do buy the solid extended valve stems, they are expensive, but really, really nice. Last I checked they were out of stock for the for F-53 10 hole wheels.
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 07:51 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

I had Discount Tire mount the replacement valve stems for $68 labor. The outer dually has a replacement valve stem that curves from the inside to the outside The inner dually has a replacement (not screw on) extended chrome valve stem that extends through the slot on the outer dually and has a rubber grommet that fills the slot to hold the valve stem solidly in place. The inner tire will require a 6oz bag of balancing beads, as with the long valve stem, it can't be spin balanced. I'm traveling til Thursday, but when I get home, I'd be happy to send you pics.
Old 03-10-2019, 07:54 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Use one of these to check/add air pressure to that tire:https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...7CL4*-49997034
For most dual tire setups you may squeeze your hand between them to screw the adapter onto the stem when you position the stem on the bottom.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 08:07 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

That's the same idea, but I bought the kit and replaced all the rear valve stems. I use a TireMinder TPMS and on my last trip, the inner dually braided screw on valve extender broke loose and was lost, along with my $49 sensors. With this new setup, that could never happen... I'm much more confident with this setup... just my opinion, of course