Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2022, 05:50 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Charge Mate Pro 40 On 2022 View

Hi All! New here and pleased to meet you!!

I got the 2022 View 24D last year and working on some things that needs improvement especially electrical systems.

My unit came with Charge Mate Pro Battery Isolator and based on manufacturer's manual and definition of "Isolator", it only charges one way (Chassis to House Batt) while engine is running.

Do any of you know when it will stop charging? Does it even monitor the house batt and disconnects when full? I do not see this info on any manual. There is a connect /disconnect mentioned but blurry on what conditions this will apply. As we all know, when engine is running, voltage is always above 14V.

Any info is appreciated.
rapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 10:30 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

It kind of sounds like you are making charging and how it is done more complicated than it really works out to be.

I do not have any experience with the charge mate but it appears to do the same as the older mode solenoid system only using solid state instead of electro-mech.
It avoids the problems of contacts and moving parts that tend to burn/corrode or simply wear out.

I don't know what parts are used but it would look like they use some form of diodes to keep current from the chassis battery being used when the engine is not running. Simple enough but exactly how they do it is probably a trade secret!

I would assume that the charging would stop using the charge mate in much the same way as when using the solenoid would stop or as it stops in the normal car/truck setup. The regulator on alternators normally controls the output to around 14-14.5 if I remember correctly, so when both sets of batteries are at that level, current flow stops except to replace what might be used for things like lights, vent fans, etc in the coach part or radios, lights and such in the auto part. No need to connect/disconnect as the current just reduces/stops as the use varies.

Basic idea is that current flows as a result of a difference in potential between two points. We call that difference "voltage" in lots of cases, so when the batteres reach the point that the alternator regulates like 14 volts, current stops flowing.

No need of monitor on the coach battery as it operates much the same as the chassis battery for this purpose. No need to monitor as it just stops or reduces as natural.

Simple explanation is to compare it to three buckets of water all connected together with some method to keep the first bucket water level at 14 inches. If the level in that bucket goes low more water is added there but if the seond or third buckets get low, water will run from the first to them until their levels are the same and then no more water will flow! If we take water out of bucket 2 or 3, then more will be added to 1 until the levels are all the same again.

Is the connect/disconnect mentioned the coach battery disconnect that is meant for use when the RV is stored?

Sorry, not sure I understand your question?
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 12:04 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Yeah. I think i am overthinking it. I'm just used to seeing these specs on manufacturer's spec sheet. My old Airstream used a battery separator and everything is right there on the spec, when it disconnects, trickles, etc.

Since Charge Mate does not have this info, i will now "assume" which bothers me. BTW, this unit is charging one way, chassis to house only. I will have another solution to charge from house to chassis OR probably simply replace the charge pro with a good battery separator that can do both ways.
Old 01-11-2022, 01:17 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

That may be part of the newer issue as it doesn't need to disconnect as the electronics just slow or stop th eflow. The advantages are than there are fewer moving parts and no switch contacts to go bad! Downside is that we can't see it or test it as well becaus it has become like many things we get the black box and just have to assume it works---until it doesn't!
Many of the older or smaller RV do not come with a coah to chassis charge setup but the common add-on item is either the Trik-L-Start or they also have a somewhat larger that I no longer remember but made by the same company.

The Trik-l is just a setup using three wires,one to each battery positve and one to ground and it does "monitor the start battery as compared to the coach battery voltage and when the coach becomes a certain voltage above the chassi, it " borrows" some from the coach. I've always thought the use of "borrow" pretty odd but I guess it might give it bback someday???

When storing mine and not wanting to use a sperate charger foreach, I found ift fit me to just use a foot long part of #6 and alligator clips to tie positive posts together!
Since I had shore power plugged all the time and a battery compartment lid to flip open, just leaving the clip on one battery and attaching it to the other when we came home worked for me. Being tight with the electricity bill, it was no big thing to do the clip while also shutting down any extra load items that I did not want running full time while we were not using it. I did not want the propane detector running while I had the valve closed at the tank!
This would have the obvious downside of running both batteries down at the same time but since it was home and I watched the batteries, that was not a worry for me.

What works best? Always depends on what we each feel we need !
Old 01-11-2022, 04:44 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

This is actually what I am awaiting delivery, 15A version of AMP-L-START with ignition cut-off. This should handle the House to Chassis charging while Coach is waiting for Spring time. :-)
Old 01-11-2022, 04:46 PM   #6
Site Team

I assume you’ve read the info that the manufacturer of the ChargeMate Pro 40, MasterVolt has on its website. But just in case you haven’t:

https://www.mastervolt.com/products/...e-mate-pro-40/
Old 01-11-2022, 04:54 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

yes i did plus the manual, not much details in there.

Thanks for checking though.
Old 01-11-2022, 05:55 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapper View Post
yes i did plus the manual, not much details in there.
Thanks for checking though.
The specs there tell you when the device starts and stops charging - at the specific voltages. Isn’t that what you were asking about?

Not trying to be dense, just thought that’s what you were looking for.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	64D29CC1-704A-4668-8A35-AC6B563620AB.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	193.1 KB
ID:	181692  
Old 01-11-2022, 06:45 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Interested in gizmos! I noticed an item of interest about 2/3 way down under general there is remote switch function list that mentions "start assist" ?

Does that seem to say to you guys that it has some form of what we normally think of as the "aux" or "boost" switch on our dash which we use to jump start the chassis battery if it is low?
It does eem like this electronic boxwould be a logical place to put the gear but I wonder how it works out to reach the control from the drivers seat when starting the engine? Does this imply one would take a remote control with him or what am I missing?
Or put it in start assist and then go to the front?
Old 01-12-2022, 06:30 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

yes. I did this as a temp solution. If you put momentary +12V to this wire, battery banks are connected for 30s for start assist, if constant +12v, then batts are connected until you disconnect (charging chassis batt from house batt while on shore power).
Old 01-12-2022, 06:41 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

the switch on/off voltages is where I'm blurry. Not sure if this refers to chassis batt or house batt. It cannot be chassis batt as this is always above 14v, so i can only assume this applies to house batt.
Old 01-12-2022, 07:49 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapper View Post
It cannot be chassis batt as this is always above 14v, so i can only assume this applies to house batt.
Your chassis battery voltage may always show ~14v when the engine is running, but that’s just the alternator’s charge voltage. It’s not the battery’s actual resting voltage.

When you are camping on shore power or generator your chassis battery will need voltage monitoring and charging then to.

It says it has 2-battery outputs. You’ve already determined that both chassis and house banks are connected to the Charge Mate in your post above. So, those start and stop voltages would apply to both house and chassis banks.
Old 05-25-2022, 07:57 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

According to the Mastervolt manual, there are four modes. On, Pulse, Automatic, and Off. The different modes are controlled by a single wire connected to the switch terminal.

My 2020 Navion Mastervolt Pro switch terminal has a wire connected to the switch terminal, but I don't know what is wired to. Does anyone have any information on where the switch (yellow) wire is connected to.?

Simply not connecting the switch terminal puts the unit in automatic mode limited to 40 amps. Grounding the terminal turns it off. The pulse and On modes are entered by putting 12 v on the switch terminal.

I would like to know when the unit is turned off by grounding the switch terminal.
eyecando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 08:10 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Kind of a shot in the dark but if it is like much of the Winnebago wiring, there may be an easy way to sort where a specific wire goes as they print a label on the side and give us a "decoder" sheet!
Any chance this wire has a code on it to match this list?
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ical_guide.pdf

Lots of info on the drawings here:

https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...agram/Help.pdf
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	f wire id.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	182955  
Old 05-26-2022, 09:47 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

I'll have to get the numbers off the wires to confirm my measurements. This could be very helpful, but I think I have figured out most of it.

When the Charge Pro SW circuit is open, the Charge Pro goes into automatic mode and provides up to 40 amps of charging current. When the ignition is off, the SW circuit is grounded. This shuts the Charge Pro off.

If 12 volts was applied to the SW circuit, the batteries would be directly tied together for 30 seconds and then limited to 150amps after that. But, I don't think Winnebago proviced that ability.
Old 05-28-2022, 05:54 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
Kind of a shot in the dark but if it is like much of the Winnebago wiring, there may be an easy way to sort where a specific wire goes as they print a label on the side and give us a "decoder" sheet!
Any chance this wire has a code on it to match this list?
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ical_guide.pdf

Lots of info on the drawings here:

https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...agram/Help.pdf
Where can I get the actual electrical schematics from? For instance from the wiring labels I need drawings 329973 and 328420.
Old 05-31-2022, 03:38 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Attached is a schematic of the 12V DC system in my 2020 Navion I created by tracing the wiring out.

I still don't know exactly how the Charge Mate Pro 40 gets shut down, but it appears to be associated with the ignition system switch placing a ground on the SW terminal. The charging is enabled by removing the ground from the SW terminal.

The Tyco relay gets picked up by positive from the 15A battery disconnect switch breaker through a switch at the bottom of the coach door. This supplies 12 volts to most of the coach circuits. The Tyco relay also has a disengage terminal wired up, but I don't know where it is connected to.

I added a 30A Victron DC to DC charger to properly charge the coach 200ah LiFePO4 battery. Since the sum of the two charging circuits was now 70 amps, I was concerned that under some conditions such as idling, while the chassis battery was also being recharged the alternator could be damaged.

I also added a switch with an includedl LED so I could tell when the Charge Mate Pro was charging and could manually turn off the charging when I wanted. The circuit I modified is also attached.

I have a shunt on order that I will install later so I can easily tell how many amps are going into the coach battery.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2020 Navion 12 Volt System.pdf (396.0 KB, 63 views)
File Type: pdf Charging Switch Addition.pdf (383.9 KB, 53 views)

Tags
view