Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2016, 07:44 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Changing gas fuel filter 8.1 ?

I now have 52K on our 06 Adventurer with the 8.1 engine. I will be installing new Iridium plugs and thought while in the area maybe I should also change the fuel filter. I am wondering if that's something i should attempt? First I need to find it, I am fairly sure it's mounted along the frame.
Have you changed yours ? Is there lots of gas spilling ? Where is its location ?

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 10:49 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Mine was on the frame on the drivers side back near the duals. There was a procedure in the service manual to bleed the pressure but there wasn't any. It had been sitting without being started for a couple of months and that might be why there wasn't any pressure.
You can get the service manual from Navistar HERE
Old 08-28-2016, 10:55 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I'd think if you can change spark plugs you can change the fuel filter. On a Workhorse Chassis it's usually tucked up on the frame rail behind left front tire. Check what filter it takes, Workhorse used different styles in different years.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 12:17 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Your looking for something like this

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
Finally put my updated fuel filter on instead of carrying it in a cabinet for the last four + years.

Bought from a iRV2 vendor so as to be able to use a normal GM fuel filter instead of the one of a kind Workhorse filter.

Workhorse uses four tie down clamps for the filter, one can not be seen on the line running out of the right hand side of the filter.

See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 02:00 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
That's where mine was and no pressure when I let it set for a day. Don't get right under it when removing. Wear goggles or safety glasses. If you can find split box wrenches the right size (look like brake line/zerk fitting wrenches) thet will make the job easier up against the frame rail. Open ends may work as well....
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 05:51 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the info ! I'll be getting her out of the barn after labor day to tackle my projects. planning to head south for the winter, so trying do some preventive maintenance.

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 12:32 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Stearn,
There are 2 types of filters. Use the updated one.
Check OMEYS website.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 10:36 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

The bottom filter in the picture is the original style which I under stand is no longer readily available, the top picture is the replacement style from OEMY that you can use the GM style from any parts store even Walmart.
See My RV Upgrades
Old 08-29-2016, 11:46 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

If your motorhome takes the filter that needs the adapter and Oemy doesnt have any left, here is another place to get what you need.

Workhorse RV Fuel Filter w/Adapter
PJStough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 05:46 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Oemy has announced he is retiring (again) soon and will no longer sell parts. Suggest you contact him soon for the adapter you MUST have to use the standard two port filters that are readily available.
Old 08-29-2016, 05:49 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I'd think if you can change spark plugs you can change the fuel filter. On a Workhorse Chassis it's usually tucked up on the frame rail behind left front tire. Check what filter it takes, Workhorse used different styles in different years.

That MAY be true for a P32, I really don't know, but ALL the W series chassis mount the only fuel filter inside the chassis rail on the driver side just above the rear axle.
Old 10-21-2016, 06:26 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Your looking for something like this
JohnRR,

I've read a lot of your great stuff. I also need to change mine on my Ford F53 V-10. What's the procedure for changing this out? It seems to me once you break those lines gas is going everywhere? Would really like your insight and tips on how to do this.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 07:19 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Sorry I'm late (I missed your post) to release the pressure from the system up,on top of the engine there will be a Shrader valve that looks like a valve stem of a tire you push in the center pin and it's like letting air out of a tire have something like a rag to catch the released gas. There will not be a huge amount of gas released.

The picture is for a V8 the V10 is the same just two more fuel injectors, the release valve is in the lower left of the picture with the funny looking valve cap

Ford F150 How to Replace Fuel Filter - Ford-Trucks

Changing your filter should be the same as this link.
See My RV Upgrades
Old 11-07-2016, 08:28 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Sorry I'm late (I missed your post) to release the pressure from the system up,on top of the engine there will be a Shrader valve that looks like a valve stem of a tire you push in the center pin and it's like letting air out of a tire have something like a rag to catch the released gas. There will not be a huge amount of gas released.

The picture is for a V8 the V10 is the same just two more fuel injectors, the release valve is in the lower left of the picture with the funny looking valve cap

Ford F150 How to Replace Fuel Filter - Ford-Trucks

Changing your filter should be the same as this link.
Thanks John, you're the best.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, gas