Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2005, 04:03 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Until recently my 03 Journey DL 36LD with a 330 cat engine had averaged over 10 mpg for slightly over 10,000 miles. On our recent trip from GA to FL to Ontario and home, the mpg dropped to 8.2 mpg. We used the AC more than we did previously, but I have a hard time believing that the AC would decrease mileage by 2 mpg. We also pulled a toad this time so maybe that had an influence. Before we began this trip we had the RV serviced completely at the dealer's and we checked everything before leaving for Canada. Any ideas?? Would the combination of towing and using AC cause a 20% loss in fuel consumption?

Also, one of the house batteries failed and nearly burned up. We replaced the battery and consider ourselves lucky that the RV did not catch fire.
Annie K. and Sparky the long-haired chihuahua
03 Journey DL 36LD
04 Saturn L300W
Blue Ox and Brake Buddy
Doggievet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 04:03 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Until recently my 03 Journey DL 36LD with a 330 cat engine had averaged over 10 mpg for slightly over 10,000 miles. On our recent trip from GA to FL to Ontario and home, the mpg dropped to 8.2 mpg. We used the AC more than we did previously, but I have a hard time believing that the AC would decrease mileage by 2 mpg. We also pulled a toad this time so maybe that had an influence. Before we began this trip we had the RV serviced completely at the dealer's and we checked everything before leaving for Canada. Any ideas?? Would the combination of towing and using AC cause a 20% loss in fuel consumption?

Also, one of the house batteries failed and nearly burned up. We replaced the battery and consider ourselves lucky that the RV did not catch fire.
03 Journey DL 36LD
04 Saturn L300W
Blue Ox and Brake Buddy
Old 07-29-2005, 08:10 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I have a 03 Journey DL and I usally get about 10.1 MPG when I am not towing. If I tow my 01 Grand Cherokee I drop to about 8.1 - 8.5.
I think the Diesel Gen. will use about 1/2 gal per hr.
Looks we are getting about the same MPG. I have heard starting with the 04 Models with the C7 engine there MPG has dropped to 6.5 - 7.0 MPG.
Maybe somebody will comment with the newer C7.

2003 Journey DL 36GD
Tom Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 09:42 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I have been told that when you run the generator while driving the consumption is about 1 gallon per hour. Wonder if that would account for some of the loss.
jtharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 11:32 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the replies. It appears that running the AC and towing accounts for my lowered mpg.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:50 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

On my 03 39QD I am getting about the same as Tom is when towing. Don't think I have ever checked it not towing. Generator use should be about 1/2 gal per hour at half load which would be running the AC unit on mine.

03 Horizon 39QD
Rick Buddrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 01:00 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

With our '03 Journey DL with the Cat 330 hp we get between 9 and 11, run the generator for more A/C and it drops a little, have not towed anything with any real weight so can't comment on that aspect yet.
gunny is offline   Reply With Quote