Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-15-2018, 10:17 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Can't Find Jacks Down Alarm Sunstar LX 27N

I have hearing issues (Meniere's Disease) and the jacks down alarm on my Sunstar LX 27N almost makes me dizzy when it's going off. I don't want to kill it, just muffle it somewhat. I've looked under the dash with a flashlight while it's going off and the noise seems to be coming from everywhere Does anyone know where it is? Is it screwed down or just tied up in a bundle of harness? It's a Lippert system.
starcrwzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 11:50 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Scott, I don't know where it is, but have you considered contacting Winnebago Customer Service to see if they can help? Hopefully another poster will show up with better info for you.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 02:38 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Well, Winnebago Customer Service doesn't get a gold star today. Spent about 10 minutes with "Steve" and came up empty . He couldn't even find the part number for the alarm, which I found easily in the downloaded parts list. What he couldn't find is where the alarm was mounted in any of the drawings. Sigh, guess I'll just have to wear ear plugs whenever I put the jacks down. I now have a message sent to Lippert asking them if there's a wire I can cut, hoping there's one for the light and one for the alarm, but I'm not holding my breath on this one.
Old 06-21-2018, 03:22 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Ugh, how frustrating.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 04:37 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Lippert got back to me! I have two choices, both disable the alarm and the light unfortunately. I can either unplug the touch pad or pull the connector off of the float switch. Guess I have to wear ear plugs or pay someone to pull the top of the dash off and find the bloody alarm and either mute it or disable it. Ugh.
Old 07-01-2018, 11:41 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Under dash.

That alarm is piercing and way excessive, even for healthy ears. I know what you mean by "coming from everywhere". I was able to locate mine by running my hand over everything under the dash until I heard a change. I felt it too. I had to wear earplugs to tolerate the noise long enough to do it.

On my 2011 Itasca Sunova it is under the dash, up high left of steering as seated. It is blended in with a bunch of other wires. Need to be a gymnast to get under there. Laying on my back, head where your left foot would rest when driving. I wish I could get a picture of it to show you. You might be able to locate it by sight, if you can slither up under the steering column. Follow the wires from the back of the control panel, it will be in that loop. I used adhesive putty to form a ball and cover the siren. This muffles it to a more than acceptable level but still allows you to easily hear the alarm. You can adjust the volume by moving the putty for more or less coverage. Don't disable. HWH told me removing will render the jacks inoperable. I don't know if that is true or a liability scare tactic.
Old 07-01-2018, 12:16 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Rorytug! I'll give it another try with ear plugs on. I hadn't thought about following the wires from the panel, will try that as well.
Old 07-03-2018, 02:21 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Interesting! Our 2015 Itasca SunStar only has a light on the dash - no noise at all! So, if it had an audible alarm from the factory, the po disabled it. Since I didn't know there was supposed to be an audible alarm, I've learned to use the lights.

I also made up a "Jacks Down" 8x10 paper (in a sleeve) and just put it over the instrument cluster - sort of a "remove before flight" except for RV'\er's. So far, so good.
Old 07-04-2018, 01:05 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

It would depend on the leveling system you have. I have the Kwikee Levelors and my Annoying, buzzer is mounted to back of the circuit board of the leveling control. Found that out when I had to resolve a board problem. It was a little black round Piezo device called a sonalert. Doesn't have a name on it, but it's easy to recognize.

I stuck a small piece of eternabond over the hole in it. It was only about 5/8 of an inch in diameter, but is sure is loud.

To get to my module, i just had to remove the 4 screws holding the control panel to the dash. Disconnect all the plug in wires. Then the membrane switch panel will remove from the housing. Mine was just stuck together with some double back tape. Don't pull real hard, you may rip the plastic link cable. I went around mine between the membrane and the housing carefully with a knife stuck in maybe 1/2 inch. Popped it off, taped the buzzer.

BY the way, the 3 amp fuse that blows every once in a while, killing the system is also accessible that way. that was the original problem

It is WAAAAAAAAAAY quieter now.
Old 07-05-2018, 08:54 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by starcrwzr View Post
I have hearing issues (Meniere's Disease) and the jacks down alarm on my Sunstar LX 27N almost makes me dizzy when it's going off. I don't want to kill it, just muffle it somewhat. I've looked under the dash with a flashlight while it's going off and the noise seems to be coming from everywhere Does anyone know where it is? Is it screwed down or just tied up in a bundle of harness? It's a Lippert system.

If the alarm and light are separate of each other you can do as I did. I had the same noise problem from the forklift backup alarm used as a jack down warning. With much work (and no assistance from the Winnebago support call) I removed the dash cover. I found the alarm. My first attempt at quelling the loud screeching was to bury the alarm module in a bag of cotton balls.( pure desperation) No help. After a while I just could not take it any longer. I could not turn on my ignition with the jacks down and find room in my head to think if the engine were not running.

Inspiration or desperation struck me one day. I built a latching relay circuit and used a spare spot on the dash for a momentary contact switch to be mounted. Problem solved.

When the key is in the ignition position I press the switch and the relay operates. This removes power from the alarm module. When the ignition is turned off the relay power is cut and the alarm power is reestablished to function normally. Results: When I am simply wanting access to my instruments and dash controls, when the jacks are down, I operate the alarm control after I turn on the ignition. When the jacks are up and I start the coach the alarm is set to function as designed if the jacks drop for any reason when I am traveling. This has happened a few times. DW simply presses the retract button and we keep on keeping on.

If you can't figure this out on you own let me know. I'll see if I can recall how I designed it and publish the schematic here.
Old 07-08-2018, 12:30 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
If the alarm and light are separate of each other you can do as I did. I had the same noise problem from the forklift backup alarm used as a jack down warning. With much work (and no assistance from the Winnebago support call) I removed the dash cover. I found the alarm. My first attempt at quelling the loud screeching was to bury the alarm module in a bag of cotton balls.( pure desperation) No help. After a while I just could not take it any longer. I could not turn on my ignition with the jacks down and find room in my head to think if the engine were not running.
That's my next course of action, removing the top of the dash. I did spend one more time under the dash, with ear plugs and a flashlight and still couldn't find the damn thing. So as soon as the weather cools a little here, I'm going to pull the top of the dash and see if I can locate it that way. If I can find it, I may consider something similar as to yours, a latching relay, but I have to find it first.

Tags
jacks