Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2018, 11:19 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Cancelling an Extended Warranty

Has anyone bought the extended RV coverage through the dealer? We did via AGWS (American Guardian) called Compass RV coverage. We think we want to cancel. It's seems overpriced, and I'm not seeing good reviews online.

My questions are, if you cancelled it within a couple months of purchase, what kind of refund did you get? Are you using any other extended warranty and happy with it?
Dlady47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 11:44 AM   #2
aa1ssradio

When we traded our unit in I cancelled beforehand. We got a refund based on cost of the warranty, length of warranty, and months it was in effect.

So basically if we had a 12 month extended for $1200 and had it 2 months that cost us $200 and we got $1000 back.
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 05:39 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I cancelled our Good Sam extended warranty through Camping World, and they sent a check to the bank and it came off the principle.
Old 09-10-2018, 10:29 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

We cancelled our Cornerstone policy which we purchased with our Journey (long story). The process was difficult, with the dealer, the bank and Cornerstone whipsawing us, but ultimately a prorated check, less processing fees, other fees, etc., was sent to the bank, applied against the principle.

Apparently being slow learners, we then took on a Good Sam contract, which we paid in six month premiums. After six months simply did not renew.

We are now self insured, earmarking an amount equal to our old premiums into our budget and lockbox.

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 09:12 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I was going to cancel a few months ago, then the 25' slide got stuck. Glad we had it. But now, if I cancel, they will deduct what I have used plus a bunch of fees for all sorts of things.
747Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 04:45 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

No they will take what the real cost of the warranty, not what you paid for it. Say you paid $2500.00 for it and the dealer cost was $1500.00, they take the $1500.00 and then prorate it by the time expired and the miles you drove.
mazda2924x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 06:43 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlady47 View Post
Has anyone bought the extended RV coverage through the dealer? We did via AGWS (American Guardian) called Compass RV coverage. We think we want to cancel. It's seems overpriced, and I'm not seeing good reviews online.

My questions are, if you cancelled it within a couple months of purchase, what kind of refund did you get? Are you using any other extended warranty and happy with it?
I think it depends upon whose warranty it is. My understanding of the Good Sam Extended Service Plan (which we have) is that you get a return pro-rated by the time in effect against the time of the policy without any penalty for usage of the warranty. Other plans refund policies may differ.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 03:41 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

You have to find your extended warranty contract and follow the procedure in the contract to cancel EXACTLY. The contract will also specify exactly how much you will receive for cancelling the contract at your specific date within the contract.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote