Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2008, 10:41 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Son just went into armforces joined the Navy and looks like he will be doing some training at Lackland AirForce Base over Xmas anyone know of any good campgrounds around the base? we have a 35' Adventuer looking to see if we can spend xmas with him or at least see him for some of that time.

Thanks
Mark
Old 08-04-2008, 10:41 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Son just went into armforces joined the Navy and looks like he will be doing some training at Lackland AirForce Base over Xmas anyone know of any good campgrounds around the base? we have a 35' Adventuer looking to see if we can spend xmas with him or at least see him for some of that time.

Thanks
Mark
Old 08-04-2008, 10:50 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

He might be able to "sponsor" you to use the Family Camp (FAMCAMP in military jargon) that is on Base at Lackland. There is a description of it HERE Maybe call the number there and ask them if he can sponsor you? A lot of FAMCAMPS will do this.

And thank him for serving!
Old 08-04-2008, 12:40 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

He can sign you up for the base campground and bring you in to it with no problems.
Old 08-05-2008, 03:20 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I just spent a week at the Lackland FAMCAMP and have nothing but good things to say. It may be full in the winter with snowbirds flocking south. Most military parks are first come first serve so plan to arrive prior to noon to secure a spot. They have a 30 day max stay limit so folks do rotate in and out even in the winter. If this fails there are numerous civilian campgrounds in the San Antonio area. The Riverwalk is great at XMASS time, do the boat tour your son will get a discount since he is active duty.

2008 Honda Pilot/Racked out with Old Town Kayaks
Slapshottr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 10:38 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Thanks all for your help After he can start to call back home on a reg bases I hope to see if he can find out about this. He is in Navy going through basic trainning right now and just left on monday 8/4/08 for that I am still having a hard time getting over the fact that he is not in our home anymore but I will have to come to terms with it.

The hardest part is that you can't talk with him for about a mounth while he is in basic.

The Lackland trip is when he will be doing his spicalise traning for his Master at Arms job.

He told us beford he left that he would be there for a min of 6 Mo or maybe even 1 yr for the type of traing the Navy wants him to get.

So we sre hoping that when he is there at Lackland we will be able to see him will not know until he gets there and can ask his CO if that would be OK for us to do.

If not it will be one lonely Xmas for me I can tell you all that.

Again Thanks for the notes here and maybe I'll get lucky just one more time in my life.

Mark
Old 08-05-2008, 04:08 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Mark, the info given you about Lackland FamCamp is correct. Should you not be able to get in there, you will find there are several CG's in and around San Antonio. If you have a camp ground book, look through it for CG's in San Antonio. You may wish to make plans well in advance, because like someone stated, Snow Birds flock in here starting after Thanksgiving. Pass to your son my thanks for serving.

Toad: 2006 Honda CR-V
BRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 03:06 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Try Traveler's World off of Roosevelt. We always stay there when in San Antonio. Close to downtown, lots of trees, clean and well kept.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:41 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Mark, your son should be able to reserve a spot at the FAMCAMP and he should have priority since he is active duty. I took my family to Key West for Christmas and had no problem getting in once I mentioned that I was active duty. He should also have some time off over Christmas. Not so much because they are doing the students any favors but more because the instructors want time off to spend with their families. Remember, if the students are there the instructors have to be there :-) Plenty of other military bases in that area also and the Navy has a great facility about 3 hours south in Corpus Christi so if your son does get a couple of days off that is a great destination.

2005 Honda Element
bjbkkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 11:30 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for all the replys here I wish that when I wrote this my eyes were not leaking. I am sorry for the spelling errors in the post name and post.

Have any of you here also had to get a grip on a test like this? How did you get over the punch in the gut that you get in the frist few days/weeks I think I am the one that is having the most trouble with it but I just feel like my best bud is gone and I can't get to him.

Sorry for the wet post but feel that the extended family here has the way to help me work this out.

Again thanks for the reply's I am really looking to this motorhome trip dod care how bad the weathr might be here in New England it can only get better as I get closer to TX.

Mark
Old 08-06-2008, 04:25 PM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

Mark, time will, I assure you, help you. I have been on both ends of what you are feeling. I went into service, here at Lackland in 1957, then watched a son enter the service here in 1977. The void will fill up as time passes.

Toad: 2006 Honda CR-V
BRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 04:30 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Mark, Congratulations to your son. He picked an outstanding service to join. I can guarantee you that time will fly for him, so occupy your time and it should for you also. The 27 years I've been in the Navy have flown by and I can't believe I've been in this long. Best of luck to you all!
emmmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 05:45 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Thanks again for all the post and for the kind words. I just sent a snail mail to James (my Son) telling him about the famcamp program and ask him after he gets out of basic if he could look into it for us.
Did not tell him that we were looking to do Xmas as we want this to be a gift to him and us so to speak. will let him in on it after he is done with what he need to get done right now.

do not want to put any more on him than what he has to deal with right now.

Again thanks for the help and I'll let him know that you all wish him luck in the next letter that gets sent off to him.

Mark