Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-23-2018, 06:32 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Camp site sharing

So I'm not sure where else to post this. I have been thinking as time gets closer to going full time id like to set up a few base camps. i.e a lot in south Dakota, maybe NM, Az some where back in the mid west maybe make a small co-op of fellow RV'rs to avoid big over stuffed parks but have some place to set up, park for a few weeks with hook ups and share this with others who have a spot of there own who are willing to join the co-op. being respectful of other peoples property while using there spot to set up and explore the areas. I know there are huge camp sights ALL OVER set up to do this but I'm thinking a much smaller scale. I.E. I have a full hook up and hour drive south of rapid city id share with say some one who has a spot somewhere in the blue ridge mts, or Vermont, ect Any ideas and or thoughts on this?
Koja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 03:56 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Shared Sites

We posted a similar question in another forum. It seems like a logical thing to do. Two or more people who share a site at different times of the year.

It would basically be like a small time share. We thought about buying a property in the mountains of Georgia and using it as a home base and sharing it with another user when they wanted it. Some folks thought it might work as long as it is owned by the sharers and they can come to agreements on the use.

I saw a lot of part time folks who had bought their lots up there and only stay there 6 months a year. That was what made us think of it.

chuck and katie
katielee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 07:38 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I'm not sure where in the U.S. else this happens but, at least in Quartzsite AZ, there are a few establishments that, have segregated lots, as in 3-4' high brick walls separating each lot, that you can buy and park whatever you want, for whatever length of time on it. Or, you can put a small building like a Park model and still fit your coach on it. You can erect a cover for your RV to park under when you arrive and stay. If I'm not mistaken, some of those lots in Quartzsite go for around $15K or so.

Now, as far as I know, you can "rent" them out or share them or whatever. Again, not sure if there are similar situations around the U.S. as this is in Quartzsite. Might be worth a looksee.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 07:49 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks. I’m looking at buying a place up here in wa state as well.
Koja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 09:54 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Step one might be to ask who is going to run the operation?? While it sounds like a no-brainer and should be easy, I find it is far to often to find it is some of the people who are the "no-brainers" if somebody doesn't have some real cash incentive to keep their interest enough to do the real work involved. Time shares are a form of rental property except with far more involved due to the constant shuffle of folks in and out. That makes for a real pain to get somebody who is really responsible for doing things like replace or fix the utilities, get them shut off/turned on, etc.
Are up for volunteering for that job? NOT ME!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 03:42 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Sharing lot

Good point. I would probably go with 2 owners. Me and one other. If we had different times we wanted to stay there, it would work as long as we both kept up the lot during our time of the year.

chuck and katie
katielee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 04:14 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by katielee View Post
Good point. I would probably go with 2 owners. Me and one other. If we had different times we wanted to stay there, it would work as long as we both kept up the lot during our time of the year.

chuck and katie
Two owners that know each other well can make it work but then it also has potential for downsides. Getting two folks who are agreeable as to when each will use it may be iffy as many do like to go to warm in the winter and cool in the summer but then that can make both want the spot at the same time. Can work but still a question to work out?
Next step can be how to maintain the place as there are many different levels of thinking on what is required versus "good enough". Not hard to see one group leave the old grill rather than haul it home and the second group comes in to haul off the junk left by the last guy! Pretty quick it can get into more hassle than fun.
I have a couple rules that i go by to avoid the hassle. I rarely/never go into deals without it being written and I never mix my money and my friends as I am almost certain to lose one or the other!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 06:53 PM   #8
Let's kill some bugs!

If you want to share your property, check out Boondockers Welcome. Property owners are free to register their property and list the amenities. They provide a communications portal to let you approve or deny people staying on your property. No property addresses are listed, only general locations shown on a map. When the property owner approves to share the property, the portal sends the location to the Guest. If you are active and get positive reviews for sharing your property and accommodations, owners can continue sharing their property without an annual fee. A GUEST membership is $30 to have access to the list of Boondocking sites. These are pretty nominal fees for either way you go. Property owners can ask for donations if the Guests uses things like electricity, water, sewer (if those are available).
John Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 08:38 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Boondockers Welcome

The Boondockers set up is for overnight only, not for any length of time. Primary purpose is to avoid having to do the Walmart thing for a number of reasons.
bwodom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 10:58 PM   #10
Let's kill some bugs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwodom View Post
The Boondockers set up is for overnight only, not for any length of time. Primary purpose is to avoid having to do the Walmart thing for a number of reasons.
That's not correct. You can request multiple nights, but it's up to the property owners to approve the number of nights. Most hosts expect a 1 to 3 night stay, but it is up to the host. You can read about how it works with this link below.

https://www.boondockerswelcome.com/how-it-works/
John Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 08:29 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Clarification

Understood. The banner on their site says overnight, which was the original intent of the site, but certainly folks can do what the want on their own property. However, I got the impression that the original poster was looking for something more than a few nights...more like a few months. Thanks for clarifying!
bwodom is offline   Reply With Quote