Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2009, 11:50 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Thumbs down C7 Fuel Filters Change

We have a 06 Journey 39K with a Cat C7 and will be getting the fuel filters changed. Does anyone know if you have to pop the Engine Compartment top to change any of the filters? If so I will remove the bed and get it ready before hand.
Old 07-18-2009, 02:58 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

On my 06 Journey 36G the 2 micron fuel filter mounted on the engine itself was easier to get to with the engine cover located under the bed removed. Also, the 30 micron fuel/water separator filter located behind the rear radiator is easier to remove and replace if you take out the 6 or so screws holding in the lower rear engine loover (grate cover) as well.
CWHTRAINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 03:06 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the info, I will take advantage of your experience and remove the
mattress and hopefully make it easier for the tech doing the work. I'm to lazy and to old and to dumb to do it myself..

Thanks again,
Dick
Old 07-18-2009, 03:14 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Your tech will thank you for making his job easier. Also before you take it in to be serviced, now would be a good time to wash off the engine. Use two cans of Gunk engine cleaner and then hose off the dirt. Let the engine dry before starting.

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 03:19 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Point well made, I shall take your advise as no doubt that will be the time
to do it..

Happy travels
DicK
Old 07-18-2009, 03:44 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Here's an earlier thread about relocating the secondary filter to make it more easily accessible: Relocated Fuel Filter & Added Priming Pump .

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 03:52 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Chris, excellent idea, I will copy your idea and have that done. It seems like the aftermarket ideas would best be served in the original construction. Oh well this keeps us all thinking all the time.

Remember, "If you want a job done easy, find a lazy man he will always find a easy way to get the job done".
Old 07-18-2009, 08:20 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

On my 2004 Meridian 36G it only takes raising the foot of the bed up, removing the 4 bolts holding the engine cover plate on, lifting or removing that engine cover, and there is the engine with the fuel filter located on the passenger side of the engine. Kind of takes standing on your head to reach the filter but not that difficult. All this might take 10 minutes unless the tech takes a lot of time finding his wrench. Then another 10 minutes to unscrew the old filter and replace the new one. I've done this myself a couple of times and also replaced the fuel/water filter back by the radiator, which is even easier. I just reach through the rear louvers, unscrew the old filter, change the clear bowl on the bottom to the new filter and replace the filter.

Don't know how much difference there might be between a 36 and 39 but hopefully this info will help some.

Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 05:50 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

What a wealth of information, thanks to all of you for your input.

The Sunde's
Old 07-19-2009, 07:10 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

As wagonmaster has indicated above, no need to remove the bed, just clean out the compartment under the bed so the tech can get to the service panel.

07 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 04:58 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I have a 39K and you DO NOT have to remove the bed!!!

The panel to the rear of the bed and in front of the closet is the location for the access panel to the top of the engine.

To remove, you have to find two sets of two screws just under the lip of rug covered panel, (or top step if you wish to call it that). One set is a couple of inches from the end that abutts the closet, the second set is about 10 inches further around. You may have to poke around a bit because the screws may be buried in the carpet pile.

After you've removed the screws, get two long screwdrivers and work the rug covered panel up from the corner that is on the driver side rear. Using the two screwdrivers, the panel will lift slowly and you work around, lift the panel up from the closet side until it is a couple of inches up and then wiggle/slide it out towards the passenger side. It is a very hard process, the panel it a very tight fit, but with a little patience, it will come out.

Lift off the panel and you'll see it covers an black metal panel held down by about 6-8 bolts. Remove these bolts and this panel will lift off exposing the top of the engine and the filter. While this is off, go ahead and lube the exhaust brake with exhaust brake lube available from Camping World and problably other good RV dealers.

You reverse the process and will have a fight to get the rug covered panel back in place. It is so tight, I left out the hold down screws, can't see it falling out. I have heard that if you take a dremel tool and cut a groove down the underside of the rug panel (from driver's side topassenger's side)you can fold the panel enough to make removal easier. I'm going to look into that.

Please note that all the good folks that replied have the 36G floorplan that does indeed have the access under the bed, but the 39K does not. I don't want to see you remove your bed for no reason.

Best Regards!

2007 Winnebago Journey 39K Freightliner Chassis, Cat C7
Old Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 05:58 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Paul, thanks for the information. It sounds like you may have saved me a or two. I will tackle that one tomorrow. Thanks again, it's much appreciated.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:32 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

That's what we're all here for, to help each other out.

If you have any other questions, give me a shout or a PM, I'll talk you through it.

Best Regards!

Old 07-21-2009, 10:11 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Here are a couple of pictures of my two shutoff valves. They're accessed from underneath from the driver's side below/beside the engine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0004.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	943   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0005.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	944  

Old 07-22-2009, 09:35 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Oops, the above reply was meant for the 'Heater core leak' thread--Sorry.

Old 07-24-2009, 02:56 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

No worries, we still love ya! Now I have to check under my Journey to see if I have those heater line cut-off valves. I'm curious!

Best Regards!

Old 07-27-2009, 08:13 PM   #17
Winnie-Wise

When you changed the 2 micron fuel filter on the engine did you have to prime the filter and how did you do it ?
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:16 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Since I added a manual priming pump (see earlier posting) that part is easy. Install the filter dry and prime with the pump.

Old 07-27-2009, 09:17 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Here is how I did my 2 fuel filters. I first did the 30 micron water separator/filter located at rear of motorhome. Before taking the old filter off, I connected a piece of plastic tubing to the bottom of the clear plastic bowl where the black valve is, opened the black valve to drain off the fuel from the bowl and filter into a clean container. After the flow of fuel stopped, I then took off the old filter and bowl. Put the plastic bowl on the new filter with a new gasket. I then took the fuel that drained and poured it into the new filter through the outside holes only, doing so very slowly to avoid spills. Then I installed the new filter on the filter mount.

Once tightened, I then start the engine and let it idle for a few minutes, until any air has run through the sytem and the engine is idling smoothly. My theory is that if by any chance any dirt got into the fuel when refilling the new filter, it would be caught by the old 2 micron filter on the engine. After letting engine run till it is smooth running, then I turn the engine off, open up the bed, remove the floor under bed, and then replace the 2 micron filter, installing it dry. Once the new 2 micron filter is installed (since I do not have a manual pump) I turn the ignition key to on, but not far enough to turn over the engine and engage the starter, wait about 30 or seconds, turn the key off, then turn the key on again, wait about 30 seconds then turn the key the rest of the way engaging the starter and hold it on till the engine starts, generally about another 10 - 15 seconds or so. I then let the engine idle till smooth running again, checking both filters again for leaks, etc. If all checks out, reinstall the engine cover and put everything back. Clean up everything, usually do a lube job on universal joints and rear axle just for good measure while under there.
CWHTRAINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:37 PM   #20
Winnie-Wise

Thanks Clayton, great information. Do you know if they have a lift pump like other diesels ?
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote