Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-14-2016, 09:39 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Buying Winnebago 40U

Looking at a low mileage 2014 Winnebago 40U with extended warranty to upgrade from our 2007 Winn. 34H which has been almost trouble free. We like the 40H layout. Would everyone please share their thoughts on the 40U and discuss problems with slides or other issues. All thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Also does the 40' coach present any significant RV'g challenge with the extra 5' over the current coach we own. Please address any thoughts on these extended warranties and if they are meaningful. Thanks
Piddlerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 12:04 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

We have a 2013 Winnebago Journey 40U. We purchased this unit several months ago and really have enjoyed it. We full-time in ours and have not had any significant problems with it. We like the floor plan of the 40U over others in the Winnebago lineup. The living area and the kitchen are very spacious. The bathroom with the toilet is small and cramped, but I understand there is a trade-off between the living room space and the kitchen area, and we prefer the current size of these areas.

The 380hp Cummins is a great engine and has plenty of power to push the rig and a toad up interstate mountain grades. The 6 speed Alison transmission is a great performer. The passenger side front cargo bay doors are very large so you need to open them carefully so you do not break off the shock absorbers. You will want to check the house batteries, generator. In fact I would recommend you have a checklist in hand when looking at the unit. I had them service the generator and engine fluids and lubricate the slides. The Schwintec DC electric motors can be a problem if they have not been properly cared for by the previous owners. Proper lubricating of the rails and motors are required on a regular basis if they are exposed to dirt and other elements. There was problems previously with some Schwintec motors and their casing. I've had this system on a previous 5th wheel and did experience a motor casing failure in 2012. I was told at the time that their was improvements made in the motors after that period of time.

There also has been issue with the Matrix switch in these units, so you we will to check and see if it is working properly. Perform a good PDI and you should be alright. I personally do not purchase extended warranties. Ours did come with a 90 day warranty that could have been extended for $2700. Purchasing an extended warranty really becomes a personal choice. Some people swear by them and others do not. As with all RV's there will be some expenses down the road. The problem I have found with many extended warranties are the coverage restrictions/limitations.

I would not worry to much about length, as it only becomes an issue in RV parks that do not have the necessary length in their park for your unit. Other than that the turning radius is very good and pulling through or backing into a site is not difficult especially with the backup camera and large mirrors. Good luck.
sinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 08:57 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I spent quite a bit of time reviewing the 40U. It was a very well rounded design in most aspects.

The Freightliner chassis speaks for itself, in test drives it had plenty of power, average turning and ride for 40 ft. I had a 2004 40ft Tiffin at the time and did not find much difference in the ride or drive. I did notice a big difference in brakes, Drums vs discs and power, 380 Cummins vs 330 CAT.

It living space was amazing for a 40ft, lots of space to sit, lots of space to store stuff. I have had to replace the power supply in the Samsung TV and the power supply in the Matrix HDMI 4x4. Other than the power supply I have had no issues with the HDMI switch. I think most issues are due to a faulty power supply. The AV system is expandable as I have added a Roku and ChromeCast. Also installed DISH Network. Not sure who installs the speakers for the surround, but center channel was 10 ft to the right of the TV so I installed one and re-wired the speakers as well as new speakers for the dash receiver. One words about that, the amp in the dash receiver is poor, lots of distortion especially in mid range frequencies. I do enjoy the RM GPS and large screen for navigating. I wanted propane for HW and heat, this is debatable by some. No issues with either, run out of HW only after DW 20+ minute shower. We sleep on air mattress at home so enjoy the mattress system. The AC unit fans are LOUD, there are replacements that took me 10 minutes to install, night and day difference.

The basement is huge! I can store everything needed plus more. I also liked the house batteries being place below the basement floor between the rails, good for balance and kudos to Winnebago for using AGM batteries. I wish there was more engine access, but not sure I would give up the extra usable space.

In the end we decided on the 42E, the issue was the bathroom/bedroom space. The bedroom is bigger by virtue of the deeper slides in the 42E. You get 2 large closets, 4 large drawers and space for 2 to get dressed. In the bathroom again more space and storage. I enjoy sitting on the commode looking out the window. It also places the WD further away, close the door and you barely hear it. I could have made due with the 40U, but DW chose the 42E.

After 2 years of ownership, half that time in use, and 15000 miles we are extremely happy and have had no issues that were not present at purchase. I am very vigilant about proper slide use and maintenance given the history of the Schwintek units and have had no issues.

I have added some exterior LED light strips and unplugged the safety switches so I can extend the bed slide without needing to extend the PS slide. When traveling, we tend to stop quick for over night and don't need to puff out. Other than those things, I wish for a power outlet near the drivers seat.

Good luck
XBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 09:06 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

We've had a 35' gas, a 38' DSDP a 40' DSDP (all non-tag) and now have a 45' with tag. I had more trouble going from the 35' to the 38' DSDP than any of the other rigs. Had to get used to going further into the turn and turning the wheel sharper. Other than that there was no real adjustments to be made.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 02:11 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Itasca 40U

We purchased a 2011 40U, to avoid the Schwintek problems. Have been very happy with the power gear slide mechanisms. (Except the first day home from purchasing, all 4 of the slide support wheels on the driver side slide broke in 2 pieces) As we were leaving on a 6 week trip in 2 days and none of the 3 dealers we called could get them inside of 2 to 3 weeks, I called a local machine shop and had them made for the next day and installed them. The new rollers were made from aluminum. The rollers that broke were made of "Plastic" They have worked perfectly for the last 15 months ans 15000 miles.
The only other problem is the slide locks and they are on all mocels from 2010 thru 2017. They have a habit of sticking in the unlock position. A lube with a combination of lithium grease and anti-seize compound on the contacting surfaces and the threads that move it in and out. Other than these 2 problems, a great floor plan coach and engine.
I am not completely sure but I think even the new "Power Gear type" slide mechanisms made by Schwintek still use the plastic rollers
lwasouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 04:55 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

If memory serves me the 2014 still uses the Power Gear slide mechanisms which are all but bullet proof. We've had our 40U for 4 summers now and love it, in fact it's our full timing unit starting next fall.
We love the split bath layout allowing the DW to do her hair etc on 1 side and I can use the toilet/shave on the other side, it's the convince of a bath and 1/2 but not the loss of space.
A couple of things we've done to make the unit more to our style is 1) remove the dining table we felt it was too narrow for our taste) and replaces it with a free standing 36" double drop leaf round table. 2) removed the desk table from the cabinet by the Euro recliner and the table leaf (not needed anymore), and I used the table leaf to make 2 shelves inside the cabinet, 3) used left over wood from desk to put a shelf alone the wall in the shower room between the shower and the sink, and the sink and the door casing.
We haven't seen another unit or floor plan that we'd trade out unit in for.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 10:16 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Hello - do you have any information on the replacement fans? Your right the originals are loud. Thanks
Old 11-16-2016, 05:08 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Sinder; What fans are you talking about the A/C fans? Ours are not even heard outside when standing next to the coach, and inside I run the rear A/C when watching TV at night and if I need A/C at night I run the front A/C, and use the circuit breakers to control which A/C is on.
Old 11-16-2016, 02:31 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinder View Post
Hello - do you have any information on the replacement fans? Your right the originals are loud. Thanks
I purchased from CW. Catalog number # 78544

Replacement Fans

They were about $30 a kit, which included the fan, a brackett to support the shroud over the fan and a few spacers to raise the fan if needed.

It was surprising the difference in my fans, they originally sounded like jet engines. They replace the original 6 blade fans with 3 blade fans
Old 11-16-2016, 11:02 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

DLindy - Yes the AC fans. Ours are loud inside and outside. I do switch between the bedroom and living room AC similar to what you are doing. I just either shut off two of the units or turn up the temp on two of the units on the thermostat.
Old 11-17-2016, 06:34 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

When replacing the fans, I also removed the cover over the heat exchanger and found it had a lot of styrofoam insulation in the fins. I cleaned that as well as snaked a vacuum through the duct work removing a large amount of sawdust and styrofoam. No more beads blowing from the duct work now.

The other item to check is the gear rack attached to the kitchen and bedroom slide. Look for abnormal wear and bent or broken teeth. Also check the tile for wear that can be caused by when the slide almost all the way in, generally from the coach frame dragging. These would be signs of future or recent problems.

When extending or retracting the kitchen slide also listen to the motors, they should be be consistent throughout the stroke and the box should move smoothly. Listen for gear chatter and watch for binding, shifting or lurching of the box.
Old 11-17-2016, 04:12 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I goofed up on the make of slide out system. In 2013 they went with the Schwinteck system friends of ours has this and had issues with them. It wan't until 2015 that they went back to the new power gear system. The main thing with the Schwinteck system is the once you start moving the slide either in or out DO NOT STOP till the full travel has been completed.

Tags
winnebago