Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2013, 02:38 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Buying Logic Question

I keep struggling with new gas versus used diesel. For about $80-90K you can buy a new or near new gasser versus a 10-12 year old diesel. I totally understand all the reasoning about diesel versus gas having owned both on the ranch for many years. Unfortunately I never purchased a used tractor or truck. The economics of motorhomes are entirely different. I would very much appreciate hearing from those who have been down this decision road. Thanks, Bill
rancherwilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 03:41 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

For 80-90 thousand you can find some nice 5-7 year old Winnebago diesels in good condition. Add 4 thousand for new tires, and a little more for an oil change. Floor plan has to work to be a good deal.
Paulc47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 03:58 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I don't think you're comparing apples to apples as far as ammenities are concerned. New gas motorhomes run from the low $60,000 for the entry level models to over $180,000.00 for the top of the line units. To get near the same ammenities in a gas coach you get in a diesel pusher you're going to have to spend at least $120,000.00 to $140,000.00.

The last thing you'll probably have problems with in the pusher is the drive train if it's maintained properly. Unfortunately both gas and diesel models use similar appliances and heating and cooling systems. How much longer is the 12 year old microwave, refrigerator, furnace, air conditioner(s) going to last without either expensive service or replacement? How much life is left in the 12 year old carpet and furniture.

It won't be long before the 12 year old television(s) will be destined for the recycle bin. It's already hard to watch many shows on the older sets. With the new format much of the picture isn't displayed, It's tough to read any text filmed in the new format and displayed on older format televisions. You could easily spend $30,000.00 to 40,000.00 fixing or replacing all the things that are either worn or obsolete in a 12 year old motorhome. Another thing to consider where you're going to find hardware type things that wear out over time. Not many dealers or retailers carry parts for motorhomes that old.

We took all these things into consideration before trading in our 12 year old motorhome for a new one. We dearly loved the old coach, but it just seemed it could easily turn into a 12 year old money pit.
Old 06-04-2013, 04:18 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

What is your usage? Monthly weekend trips nearby, or longer term stays and distance travels? Usage can be a big part of deciding which is better for you.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:03 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancherwilli View Post
I keep struggling with new gas versus used diesel. For about $80-90K you can buy a new or near new gasser versus a 10-12 year old diesel. I totally understand all the reasoning about diesel versus gas having owned both on the ranch for many years. Unfortunately I never purchased a used tractor or truck. The economics of motorhomes are entirely different. I would very much appreciate hearing from those who have been down this decision road. Thanks, Bill
Bill,
Good advice on this forum:
"Buy your last motorhome first"

For me, if I was going to dump $80-$90k into an RV, I'm buying used. Depreciation off the lot on a new gasser (or diesel) is huge and they're not like buying cars. New ones will have issues.

Beyond that, having owned 2 gassers, there is a big difference in driving an overloaded truck frame (gas) compared to driving a semi-truck frame made to haul the load... In all honesty, I haven't driven a new gasser, but the motors and transmissions haven't changed much.

If I look at 5-7 year old diesels, I can find some in that price range that are well known for quality - Monico, American, a few others - these were $250k rigs that depreciated.. And you can find one in great shape, maintained, that's already had the bugs worked out.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 03:21 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post
Bill,
Good advice on this forum:
"Buy your last motorhome first"

For me, if I was going to dump $80-$90k into an RV, I'm buying used. Depreciation off the lot on a new gasser (or diesel) is huge and they're not like buying cars. New ones will have issues.

Beyond that, having owned 2 gassers, there is a big difference in driving an overloaded truck frame (gas) compared to driving a semi-truck frame made to haul the load... In all honesty, I haven't driven a new gasser, but the motors and transmissions haven't changed much.

If I look at 5-7 year old diesels, I can find some in that price range that are well known for quality - Monico, American, a few others - these were $250k rigs that depreciated.. And you can find one in great shape, maintained, that's already had the bugs worked out.
There have been major improvements in the gas powered motorhome arena over the last dozen or so years. When Ford first introduced the 6.8 liter V10 to the motorhome market it put out 275 hp with 410 ft lbs of torque. The latest version puts out 362 hp and 450 ft lbs of torque.

The first transmission attached to the V 10 was a 3 speed transmission (EO4D) with overdrive. The latest version has 5 speeds and a tow/haul mode that makes going up and down the mountains a dream compared to the earlier models.

The chassis are now up to a GVWR of 26,000 lbs and a GCWR of 30,000 lbs, In 2001 the best Ford could offer was a GVWR of 20,500 lbs and a GCWR of 26,000 lbs.

We recently traded in our 2001 Winnebago on the F53 chassis for a similar sized 2013 Adventurer on the same chassis. There's a night and day difference between the way they handle and the amount they can carry and tow.
Old 06-08-2013, 03:50 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Just my opinion. We bought a 13 year old diesel last year. About $40,000. We opted for a very spendy pre-owned, ground up, bumper to bumper 1-year insurance policy, because it was older. The dealer put tires on it, topped off the tank etc and off we went. We decided to "run the wheels off of it" last summer to uncover anything that could go wrong and be fixed by insurance. We put 5,000 miles on it (presently 51,000+) It has given us absolutely dependable service. I would say it has been nicely broken in. At the price to fuel either gas or diesel, I sure wouldn't be interested in near 6 figures or over, even if we were full timing.

JoAnn
1999 National Tradewinds 7371
Spokane Valley, WA
ka7suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 04:41 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I'll throw my 2 cents in. First, I would never by a new RV. There are a million stories in the naked city

Depreciation, many problems, many trips back to the dealer, ect, ect. With a 1-3 year old RV the bugs are worked out.

Gas vs Diesel to me boils down to how I will use it. We do about 4,000 to 7,000 mi per year going to Fl for the winter and local camping in the summer. So our gasser is perfect for us. If we were going full time and traversing North America (racking up the miles) I would go diesel.

So for us, a newer gasser would serve our purpose, the appliances and interior would be newer, maintanance would be be cheaper and our money would be better spent.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote