Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2008, 01:08 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Hi. I'm new to motorhome world. Just sold our fifth wheel and ready to buy a Winnebago Sunova or Sightseer 35J. Does anyone have any thoughts about buying a new unit off a dealer's lot vs. ordering it thru the dealer? At this point I would either buy a 2008 off the lot or order a new 2009 off the line. Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

Cats, bunnies and chickens.
Love2travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 01:08 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

Hi. I'm new to motorhome world. Just sold our fifth wheel and ready to buy a Winnebago Sunova or Sightseer 35J. Does anyone have any thoughts about buying a new unit off a dealer's lot vs. ordering it thru the dealer? At this point I would either buy a 2008 off the lot or order a new 2009 off the line. Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

Old 05-03-2008, 01:22 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

We ordered the two MHs we have owned. I think many dealers load their units up with a lot of stuff you don't need.....but you still have to pay for them.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 01:33 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

It all depends how hungry the dealer is. You might get an off the lot unit with more on it for less money than on a ordered one if the dealer is hurting for a sale. On the other hand you might get a better price ordering and just getting the things on the unit you want if the dealer won't deal on an off the lot model. You just have to be able to read the dealers thoughts.

2000 Itasca 35U
N8XV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 01:43 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

I think that besides price, it would depend on if the lot model has/doesn't have things that are important to you and if they are avail as options off the line. For instance, our 08 35J (an outstanding MH, by the way) was off the lot.

The only things we changed on our own was installed a bigger TV (32"LCD vs the 18" it came with) installed a crank up sat antenna and ran dual coax for a DVR; and we'll get rid of the barrel chair and install a recliner. I wish it had an inverter and side cockpit shades (but I can add them...not a big deal). Some would insist on dual pane windows (given the fogging problem, I don't want them); some would prefer 50 amp service vs 30 (we do fine with 30 but 50 would be nice); etc.

I'd make up a list of things that I would like and things I must have and see how the lot model checks out.

Good luck! Again, you'll love the 35J. Ours has had zero items for the dealer to fix after about 6 months and 5,000 miles.
Old 05-03-2008, 02:11 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Order.

Get exactly the options you want.

Get a coach with fresh batteries and tires.

Get a coach that 100's haven't tramp through.

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 03:25 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

If you find a model with the equipment you want.....I think your far ahead $$$$ wise. In addition, if its been in inventory for any length of time...say 6 months or more, be sure to negotiate a fresh oil and filter change for both the motor and the gen-set. Good luck!
smike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 03:36 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

With all the MFG's cutting back right now. Could take a lot longer for delivery of a new MH.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 04:15 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Add to Smike's suggestion. NEW BATTERIES.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 04:42 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by smike:
If you find a model with the equipment you want.....I think your far ahead $$$$ wise. In addition, if its been in inventory for any length of time...say 6 months or more, be sure to negotiate a fresh oil and filter change for both the motor and the gen-set. Good luck! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

add: negotiate brand new house and main batts too...eliminate 99% electrical problems up front.
Old 05-03-2008, 05:26 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

My experience is that I could get better pricing by doing a factory order. The coach comes in, you pick it up and pay for it as soon as it's serviced. The dealer has the coach in his possession maybe 3 days.

The dealer has nothing invested and he actually is making money on your deposit for 3 months.

The amount of money a dealer has invested in an in-stock coach increases everyday.

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 05:57 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

I can see both sides of this, and both sides have merit, but in the times we find ourselves in, I think buying one in stock IF you can find what you want will bring the better deal. I support this opinion by the following. If you order one, you will get whatever rebates are being offered, and the normal discount offered by the dealer, BUT if one is in stock and not moving the factories are pushing big time cash into the dealer to get them moved. I mean big time. So if you can find what you want on the lot, I would hammer them on it and get them down. If you order it is a predictable discount situation, with nothing adding, afterall if you are ordering you are a buyer, so they got you, if you are shopping they don't have you yet, and believe me they are sweeting the pot these days. In no way to I mean do demean the opinons of others, like I said they have merit.......Just my opinion. Good luck in whatever you do, just get on the road you will love it.
Old 05-04-2008, 03:03 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Another consideration is the initial cost and the depreciation. Is the base price on the 2009 higher than the base price on the in-stock 2008? How long do you plan on keeping it? In 2 or 3 years the 2008 will be older and worth less than the "newer" 2009. This isn't as much of a consideration if you intend on keeping it for 10 years or so.

Doug
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 05:23 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

One other option and what I feel is the all around best choice. Buy a two to three year old used coach and keep it a long time. The big depriation hit has already been taken and the bugs have been worked out. Then take some of the money you saved and put it aside for maint costs down the road. Then go out and enjoy it.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 07:56 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

With the economy like it is and fewer people spending money the cost of inventory has to be killing the dealers. I'd think you might find a brand new 2008 or even a 2007 unit sitting on the lot would be the best value as long as it was equipped the way you want it.

My preference (as Becks said) is to buy a gently used unit that's a year or 2 old. Most of the time people just don't use them all that much and with the price of gas now there's probably a lot of people thinking of selling a perfectly good RV.
RVJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 03:20 PM   #16
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom N:
My experience is that I could get better pricing by doing a factory order. The coach comes in, you pick it up and pay for it as soon as it's serviced. The dealer has the coach in his possession maybe 3 days.

The dealer has nothing invested and he actually is making money on your deposit for 3 months.

The amount of money a dealer has invested in an in-stock coach increases everyday.

-Tom </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree...and do it the same way..at least I know what I'm starting with..

Approaching a "gently used MH" is still a big gamble...unless you personally know the person(s) who owned it...If you know they took responsible care of it..and drove it without towing a large boat-or other vehicle up and down mtns..in heat of summer at 90 mph...I would consider this gently used vehicle. However, walking on a dealer lot and taking the bait from salesman "it's a gently used vehicle"..right..could have been gently used through a flood..Katrina..driven and cared for by a "gentle" idiot..I would not gamble on that one. Personally..I wont touch any MH that shows any signs it has towed.....no matter how "gentle" it was used..
Old 05-04-2008, 04:54 PM   #17
Winnebago Watcher

I really appreciate all of your perspectives on this issue. We have a bit of a unique situation with having 4 kids and wanting a bunk Class A. This model has only been offered for a few years. I have racked my brain for 6 months to find a used model in CA or anywhere that they didn't want as much as the price of a new coach.

Today our local dealer found us a 2009 unit on the Winnebago line with our "essentials" and then some. They offered a price equal to a 2008 unit I found on a lot down in LA.

If we take this deal, we will have a 2009 Itasca Sunova 35J in two weeks. We are ready to get on the road, so this might be "the one."

Thank you for taking the time to post your opinions. They have been very helpful for me in this process.

Old 05-04-2008, 06:11 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

If you're getting an 09 for the price of an 08, that shows you how willing the dealer is to make the sale. Check out their service department as that's just as important (if not more) than a good deal on a unit.

Congratulations! I wish you all the best.

L-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote