Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-05-2006, 06:11 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

After coming home from our long journey, our coach, needless to say, was dirty and the front end was full of bugs. Having ordered the 3M film mask, I thought the bug removal job would be a cinch. It was, for the most part, but everywhere the mask DIDN'T exist was more difficult. After working on the front end for more than an hour, including the glass, I've got to believe there are better methods of bug removal other than washing, scrubbing and re-washing and re-scrubbing etc. I don't want to use anything harsh on the paint or chrome mirrors, but scrubbing and power washing doesn't seem to get ALL of the bugs out. I still have little bits here and there.

Today, I coated the windows with rain-x and the front end with a wax. That's when I noticed how much overspray I had. From afar, the coach looks great, until you rub your hand across it. Feels like a fine sandpaper. I used some clay to get some of it out, but if I clayed the WHOLE coach, it would take me a few weekends for sure. Has anyone else noticed if they have alot of overspray? So ar, I'm very impressed ith the workings of the coach, but the paint job could use some work.

Comments are appreciated!! Thanks

2006 Itasca Horizon 40FD
BigTrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 06:11 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

After coming home from our long journey, our coach, needless to say, was dirty and the front end was full of bugs. Having ordered the 3M film mask, I thought the bug removal job would be a cinch. It was, for the most part, but everywhere the mask DIDN'T exist was more difficult. After working on the front end for more than an hour, including the glass, I've got to believe there are better methods of bug removal other than washing, scrubbing and re-washing and re-scrubbing etc. I don't want to use anything harsh on the paint or chrome mirrors, but scrubbing and power washing doesn't seem to get ALL of the bugs out. I still have little bits here and there.

Today, I coated the windows with rain-x and the front end with a wax. That's when I noticed how much overspray I had. From afar, the coach looks great, until you rub your hand across it. Feels like a fine sandpaper. I used some clay to get some of it out, but if I clayed the WHOLE coach, it would take me a few weekends for sure. Has anyone else noticed if they have alot of overspray? So ar, I'm very impressed ith the workings of the coach, but the paint job could use some work.

Comments are appreciated!! Thanks

2006 Itasca Horizon 40FD
Old 03-05-2006, 06:18 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I noted overspray (and some paint runs) on several areas when we initially took delivery of our '04 Meridian in October, 2003. Would have thought they had corrected that by now?!

For my dollar, the $7K spent on full-body paint was NOT a good deal.
RedT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 01:49 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Sorry you have all that overspray. When you find things wrong with your coach, call to make note of the problem and document everything. Who, When and Where. Follow through when necessary.

I use Starbrite Marine products on my coach and the original blue polish really removes most anything. Follow the directions and after the second application you will find that most road debris and bugs come right off. Much easier with a good coat of wax before they get on there..Good Luck
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 04:02 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Big Trace,

Try using the windshield washer fluid that has bug remover stuff in it. I put some in an old windex bottle, spray it on, let it sit for a minute and the bugs come off quite easily.

As for the overspray, mine had some too. The dealer,(not the one where I bought it in CA, but where I store it in VA) took it all off with no arguements. He even buffed out a bunch of tree scratches for free. But, the full body paint is worth every cent in my opinion. My previous m/h had gelcoat sides and I spent hour after hour trying to keep it nice looking, which was a battle I was slowly loosing.

Happy debugging!!!!!!!

DOUG

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 04:27 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

I found some stuff at CW (I've also seen it at a local Coach Care center) for bug removal and it works fine. Can't remember the exact name but it is a thick, green liguid citrus-based bug remover. It really works well...spray it on, let it sit for a minute, bugs come off. I also use Rain-X on the glass...seems to help some.

Now I remember...It is Camco Bug and Tar Cutter.

I keep the front polished and that also helps.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 04:32 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

The best thing that I have found to remove bugs from our motorhome is Downy dryer sheets.. Works wonders on the little critters......
omnc954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 01:49 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

BigTrace

Coming from south Louisiana I consider myself an expert on bug removal. Have you ever been there in the spring when the love bugs are out?

Absolutely the best thing in the world for removing bugs -even from the bug screen - is - Drum roll here please -

Thoes drier sheets your wife puts in the drier when she is drying cloths. Wet them and rub them over the bug splatter- they come right off and do not mar the finish or any wax that has been applied. Happy times -

2006 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
AdrianLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 02:22 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Hi Adrian,

Thanks for the tip. You're the 2nd person that has said this so their must be something to it. How wet do you need it to be, just damp I assume? Strange how common household stuff makes for the best cures..

2006 Itasca Horizon 40FD
Old 03-06-2006, 02:28 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Trace - yes - just damp. You will see a white film where you whipe. I ahve used this for years on cars. Normally a car uses 1 ior at most 2 but my MH uses around 5 sheets when the bugs are bad. Of course not out here in CA. One should do here.

2006 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 03-06-2006, 02:36 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Coming across Texas, I think I needed 50!!. Do you carry them with you so you can use them when you stop to fill up? Also, do you use a long squeegee to "guide" the cloth in the higher areas?

2006 Itasca Horizon 40FD
Old 03-06-2006, 02:37 PM   #12
Administrator Emeritus

I know Adrian....you and my wife are up to something to get me to do laundry right??
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 04:02 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

rebelsbeach - whatever works I guess

Trace - Being full timers we always have a box onboard. I have a squeegy that I can use to rub the drier sheet up high. It is then a matter of getting the white film off which takes water. It gets so bad down there during the love bug season that you have to stop and clean your windshield ever couple ofhours or so.

2006 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 03-06-2006, 04:38 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Hello Big Trace, I have heard the stories about the dryer sheets too...haven't tried it yet tho...mostly cuz we haven't been anywhere since October!

About your paint over spray...we had that problem too on the driver side from about the middle of the couch area to well behind the dining area..almost into the bathroom (we have the 36GD). That's a good 12 plus feet! We told and showed our service agent about it several times and nothing much was said or done about it. It seemed to me they were brushing it off every time we brought it up. Till finally we demanded that it put it on the work order. All it takes is a good paint guy to buff it out. It's smooth and glass now. So I suggest you make sure you get it to a local dealer and tell/show them. They CAN fix it!

Congratulations on your new 'baby'!
Jeanne M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 05:36 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

I just wait until I stop for the night and wipe them off with the dryer sheets. I don't even use the brand name stuff, just the store brand. They work great.
skipsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 03:31 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for all the advice. I definitely will try that the next time I go out especially through El Centro going east towards Arizona. It gets bad through there. If the dryer sheets solve the problem for the glass, what about the mirrors and paint? Also the rubber mouldings around the window?

2006 Itasca Horizon 40FD
Old 03-07-2006, 05:08 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Trace -

Use the drier sheets on all of it. I have never had a problem with the paint or rubber. If it scratches the paint I have never been able to see it. The white film washes right off of the rubber with water.

skipsor is right - you do not need to use the brand name sheets. I happen to use them only because DW has them around for doing laundry. I have used the generic sheets before and they work fine.

2006 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 03-08-2006, 04:21 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Question for all of you dryer sheet users.

Do you have to use new dryer sheets or will they still perform their bug removal task after they have been through a drying cycle. I think I can afford the $1 investment in a few extra dryer sheets, but waste not want not.

Also I haver been using the Mr.Clean Magic Eraser and plain old soap and water which has been working pretty well thus far. I don't think it has been to abrasive on the finish but I'll inspect closely
Matt1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 05:28 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Matt1616,

I have never tried the drier sheets after they have been used. I guess I just have never thought about saving them. Try it out and let us know if they work after they have been used in the drier.

2006 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 03-08-2006, 06:05 AM   #20
Winnebago Master

I thought it was the coarseness of the sheet that did the cleaning. I don't think the fabric softener has anything to do with bug removal.

Use......"used" dryer sheets.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote