Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2014, 09:31 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Brake problems on 2005 Diesel Pusher.

Experiencing brake problems on my motorhome. Have had my fronts re-done twice. They don't leak anymore but still squeak after a little use and are very quick to smell like they are burning. They just don't seem to be working well. Has anyone been experiencing something similar and what did you do to try and find an anawer? Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

2005 Winnebago Journey 39F
2008 Saturn Vue
boltdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 10:50 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Do you have pure air brakes or air over hydraulic? Perhaps you are too light on the brake pedal? I used to work with a fleet of school buses, the brakes would squeal terribly from all the gentle braking in picking and dropping off kids. By taking the bus around the block, (no kids on board) and doing a couple of hard stops, the brakes would quiet right down. Slow application of the brakes or 'riding' them to slow down or doing slow stops will glaze the linings and cause noise. A firm foot will get rid of the glaze and be more effective stopping when you need them.

If you are smelling hot linings, it's an indication of the slow or riding action I described above OR in the case of air brakes, they could be adjusted too tight and aren't fully releasing. If air over hydraulic it could be swollen brake lines not allowing fluid to release pressure, thus allowing pads to continue to rub on the rotor, creating heat and glaze. In addition, there have been some issues with some caliper pistons binding in cylinders and keeping the pressure on. Disk brakes (air over hydraulic) don't normally retract, but when foot is off the treadle the turning rotor will 'kick' the pads back enough they reduce friction and don't heat up.

You might try driving a few blocks without using the brakes at all, just put it in neutral and coast to a stop. Feel the brake drums or rotors and see if heat has built up. If it has, they are not releasing all the way and need to be looked at.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 11:41 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Drawing from Bob's reply; Have you greased the automatic slack adjuster zerk fittings(2 per wheel) per maintenance schedule? They will not work properly if not greased.(use correct grease identified in manual)
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 10:16 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

According to the Built On Freightliner info for the OP's coach they should have full air brakes with drums all around.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 01:14 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltdave View Post
Experiencing brake problems on my motorhome. Have had my fronts re-done twice. They don't leak anymore but still squeak after a little use and are very quick to smell like they are burning. They just don't seem to be working well. Has anyone been experiencing something similar and what did you do to try and find an anawer? Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

2005 Winnebago Journey 39F
2008 Saturn Vue
boltdave,
First off, may I ask, what EXACTLY do you mean when you say your fronts have been "REDONE, TWICE"? Did they put new shoes, turn the drums, just look at them, what?
Second, I'm pretty sure that Winne and Itasca never had any air over hydraulic systems but, who knows?
Third, the air brake systems, shoes and drums on these coaches, generally last for years and years, miles and miles. You should not have to touch them for most likely around 100,000 miles. At least that was the general conscensus that most replies were when questions about air brake longevity has been brought up in the past.
Fourth, yes, your slack adjusters do need to be lubed, on an every-so-often basis, it's listed in the maintenance sections of the manuals.

I suspect, that you have drums instead of discs but, without you stating different, I don't have proof. Drums/shoes can squeal at varying intervals, depending on condition of the surface of the shoes and, the drum contact surface. On our rig, an '04 Itasca Horizon, 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT, they don't squeal unless I'm using them a lot, around town or, some grades before entering town. Then they'll squeal even with slight pedal pressure. Yep, I too will get the burnt smell, usually after a long decent down a winding grade upon which, in conjunction with the use of the exhaust brake, I have had multiple applications of the service brakes to assist the e-brake.

It is what it is. You can't use them without them getting to some degree, warm. Some rigs, will go longer without feeling the effects of a grade and therefore not present any squealing and some, do it way earlier in the application process.

Unless I missed it, what is your mileage on your rig now?
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 02:39 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Mine gets a squeal after it sits for some time. When I hit the brakes hard I get the smell also. Been doing it since new. 8 years 50,000 miles.

Don
Old 11-08-2014, 09:36 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

If drum brakes are unused for months, they often squeal when used until all the corrosion is "sanded" off the braking surface by the shoes/pads.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, brake