Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2020, 10:30 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Boldt Owners

Hi, I have a question for Boldt owners. The claims state this is a true 4 season RV, is this a reliable claim? We want to travel to Denver area in Nov and stay at a home there. We are planning on plugging in. What else do we need to do to keep they Boldt safe during the cold temps? Or is traveling in cold weather not acceptable? Thanks for your input!
DJPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 11:26 AM   #2
Site Team

What does Winnebago "claim?"

The Winnebago website claims:

Quote:
All-Season Ready

Let no season stand in your way: all-weather camping is now possible – and comfortable – thanks to the Boldt’s state-of-the-art insulation, in-coach water lines and Truma Combi® Eco Plus heating.*
I see an asterisk... so, lets see what that refers to:

Quote:
* Disclaimer: Winnebago recommends following the winter use guidelines and winterization procedures outlined in your owner's manual whenever camping in freezing conditions.
So, it looks like it's 4-season IF you winterize it. That's not super handy. But that's what WBGO says is the way it's 4-season.
Old 11-16-2020, 05:52 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Use your tank heaters, keep the heat on, it should be fine unless it gets SUPER cold. Just my 2 pennies.
Al Humboldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 11:30 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

My understanding of the all weather claim has to do with use in cold weather so not sure what was meant about "winterizing". Boils down to running the plumbing through interior spaces to prevent freezups and extensive insulation. Odd thing about the heated tanks is they're not insulated? 4 WD and Dual pane windows are available but we didn't like the fact that they're plastic. Great heater and Heavy duty interior windshield covers complete our perception of the claim.
raytaylr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 05:44 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

We just did a mini-trip where nighttime temps were in the mid 20’s. No issues. Tank heaters work, battery heater does it’s thing and the Truma kept us comfortable.
Old 02-04-2021, 09:26 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

on my View 24d, I also have tank heaters. I don't see any water lines exposed underneath, but the wet bay and the some and the compartment behind have lines, above them. I think if the coach is kept warm, then radiant heat would be enough to prevent freezing to those lines. I also have dual pane acrylic windows. They are plastic and would be more prone to scratching so more care must be taken to clean them, but the fact that they are plastic means they have even less thermal transfer then dual pane glass. Touching them on the inside, they are barely cold at all.
misteracng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 07:06 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Boldt bliss

I have a 2022 Boldt; bought it at Lichtsinn RV. The dealership rep told me that anything below 20 degrees was too cold...and to make sure I took windchill into effect when driving down the highway. This RV is not a true cold weather machine in my opinion...but it's better than average. I wanted to buy a Winnebago Ekko--that appears to be a true cold weather machine with all water lines hiding beneath good R factor (but I wasn't willing to wait a year...quite a waiting list). I picked my Boldt up from Iowa in January and drove it home to Cleveland in some nasty cold weather. I slept overnight at a rest area in Illinois-temp was below zero-I slept comfortably with the electric heat cranked (and used the rest area bathrooms...). The Boldt has quite a bit of battery power and very importantly, it has great propane capacity so even without a generator, you can run the heater for days without hooking up to shore power. Final thought: glad I bought this RV and didn't wait for an Ekko. I have a home in Cleveland and a second home in South Carolina. Neither municipality is keen on RV's...but this vehicle looks like a big van on steroids...and not a traditional RV...so thus far, I've had no issues parking this vehicle in my driveway...
crashonetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 07:32 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

The propane capacity and with how energy efficiency the Truma is on propane, you can spend weeks on the road in the winter and the lithium batteries rarely get depleted. A cold weather machine? IMO, yes!
Old 02-28-2022, 07:47 PM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

I have yet to use propane...I was told it was hugely efficient but I've never needed it for my missions (that will change). I'm a new Boldt owner and nervous about blowing a line so I haven't 'pressurized' with water yet because I'm dealing with temperatures below 20 degrees F. I think that's a December through February issue in my world and will be 'going for it' here shortly as the weather improves.
Old 02-28-2022, 07:53 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Man, don’t worry about the water. This thing works as advertised. We blow the lines when we’re home or if it’s only a short time, we just turn on the heat (plug it in if we need to). But here in NC we’re not in a super deep freeze for any length of time. This rig is a boss and built to hang in four seasons.
Old 02-28-2022, 08:00 PM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

Thank you. I thought I was probably being a little conservative...but I'm quite new to this. I'm going to add water to the rig (I'm in SC now) and drive back to Cleveland...pick up the family and head to Louisville, KY for a JO volleyball tournament. Temps are concerning in CLE but above 20 degrees and get better heading to KY, so I'm sure I'll be good...
Old 03-01-2022, 07:39 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Cold running

I run a 2020 KL and have rv'd for 30 years in various configs. I'm curious why the rep choose 20' as the caution point. Your tanks are the most vulnerable to freezing but unless they are full and freeze hard there's no risk. I've been in every nook and cranny in this rig and can tell you that no line is exposed to freezing unless the interior drops to below freezing for an extended period. If parked in freezing weather a small electric heater in side set at 40' will work perfectly.

I suggest you call the Winnebago help line and ask what they suggest and be confident you are fine when running down the road.
raytaylr is offline   Reply With Quote