Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2014, 05:38 AM   #1
GG1
Winnie-Wise

Best Time Of Year To Drive To Forest City Iowa

I am not sure if this is the correct forum for this topic.
We may be taking a drive to Forest City sometime between April and September 2015. Was wondering if there is a good or bad time to travel to the mid west from Jersey to avoid some of the wacky weather conditions over the past few years. Also best routing to take.
Old 12-21-2014, 06:22 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Between May and Aug. would be better for me. Weather wise.
I don't like cold.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 06:26 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

When we plan a trip we usually go before school lets out for the summer, so personally I would shoot for the May time frame. Can't really help with routes much since we all like different things. We research things to do along the way, like factory tours, or national parks, national monuments etc. and select a route that catches as much as we can.

Hope you have a great trip. This sure is a beautiful country.

I did some work in Lakehurst, NJ, Long Beach Township, Brick and a few towns around your area after Super-storm Sandy. If you have a volunteer fire department or museum I was probably close by to you!
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 09:35 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

GG1;

If you have never attended Winnebago GNR at Forest City? I would recommend it. The dates are July 21 - 25, 2015. I believe you can sign up for factory tours and repairs also. Good luck with your plans;

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 09:52 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

I agree with with PETRO about trying to do it with the GNR. The service center has limitations on what work they do during those three weeks. If I remember right, no appointments, when you go in at 630AM each day i think you are limited to 7 items for that visit, then you sign up again, but they will work with you.
Last year i went in April for a scheduled appointment for several pages of warranty work and is was worth the trip and then when I was there at the GNR i had them complete some additional new items. Usually during the GNR they work on abpout 600 plus coaches. Great operation. Also, if you are out of warranty, i do not belive they do any extendy warranty during this time, if i am right unless they have changed.
majfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 06:58 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

April, May or June is a great time. Weather is good and the trip should be nice. Whenever you go, make an appointment well in advance. Call early and tell them your list so they can estimate the # of days needed. You turn your coach each day at 7AM and get it back at 3PM each day until done. GNR is fun, but all service is done on a no APT basis and can be a little hectic. If I went to GNR, I would not go for any service, just my thoughts. GNR is a fun experience.
ghutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 04:31 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

April in Iowa is still pretty bare. The leaves are starting to come out, but not much. May has the daffodils blooming and the pastures are beginning to green up, particularly later in the month. June is pretty and green generally. July can be hot, and August is definitely hot. In July the corn and soybean fields are lovely green and full. September is lovely with few tornados or thunderstorms. The corn fields are turning color for harvest. October is actually my favorite month; few things are more gorgeous than an upper Midwest autumn.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 10:28 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

We went to GNR many times when we owned a Winny. It works well to go before GNR and get service, or stay after for service.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 11:05 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

We had a slide brake at Yellowstone June 10 2014. I called Winnie on that day and my apt was 10 weeks out, Sept 17. So, make sure you plan ahead. Avoid going near Chicago.........go thru Dallas (just kidding). The people at the factory are great. We spent a week there for all the smalls we had them do plus the slide issue. You had better to turn the coach over to your Tech at 7am every day and they return it at 3:30 pm. And your tech will give you a daily rundown of what he did. Very nice people. Do not get upset with them, be patient.
Les
goldviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 08:45 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldviper View Post
We had a slide brake at Yellowstone June 10 2014. I called Winnie on that day and my apt was 10 weeks out, Sept 17. So, make sure you plan ahead. Avoid going near Chicago.........go thru Dallas (just kidding). The people at the factory are great. We spent a week there for all the smalls we had them do plus the slide issue. You had better to turn the coach over to your Tech at 7am every day and they return it at 3:30 pm. And your tech will give you a daily rundown of what he did. Very nice people. Do not get upset with them, be patient.
Les
That is a very, very good important point. Midwesterners tend to be helpful and polite and so there is no need to get upset with them in order to get a problem solved. Their whole job in the Service Department is to make you happy and they will. It makes them happy to be able to help you.

Relax, slow down, and enjoy the Midwestern hospitality and the quality of service that comes with purchasing a Winnebago product. I've been to the factory for a stripped slideout arm gear and they replaced the whole arm, motor and all at zero charge.

When making an appointment, plan on staying an extra few days or so. They may need the time to round up extra parts or to troubleshoot a problem and they want to do it right.
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 09:41 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

We stop in there every spring or fall on our way to our southern stay on the gulf coast of Mississippi. Late April is a bit chilly but very doable, early November the same. Iowa summers are hot and humid. Make your appointment at least 8-10 weeks ahead. They will send you a parking pass to stay in one of their sites. As the others have said, they are professionals and will make you happy. We have them do inspections of almost everything, roof, electrical, and mechanical. They can repair anything Winnebago, and will do it right. We completely refurbished our coach 2 years ago, paint, tires, much of the electrical, audio/TV systems, and interior...so they know us quite well......
tbomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 06:29 AM   #12
GG1
Winnie-Wise

Thanks for all the replies! I plan to go to CDI for paint work, will probably stop at the Winnie factory. What would the best route be to avoid the Chicago area and others? Up and down the east coast there are interstate bypasses to avoid the congestion of the metro areas but we are not familiar with other areas. The last time I was out that way was in the early 70's.
Old 12-26-2014, 08:10 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by GG1 View Post
Thanks for all the replies! I plan to go to CDI for paint work, will probably stop at the Winnie factory. What would the best route be to avoid the Chicago area and others? Up and down the east coast there are interstate bypasses to avoid the congestion of the metro areas but we are not familiar with other areas. The last time I was out that way was in the early 70's.
I think that I would go I-76 to I-70 to I-74 to I-80 to I-380 to 218 to 18, etc. The only major cities on that route would be Columbus, OH and Indianapolis and they both have by-passes.
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 09:27 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

here is a great RV park to stay at enroute, nice local area also

The Amana Colonies RV Park & Event Center

and i agree on the route he says to go, that is the way i went to FC twice this year.
Old 12-26-2014, 10:20 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

We have been to FC in June, July, Aug, Sep, and Oct. Never a problem with the weather (unless you are in a tent). Winnebago service is fine, as is service at Lichtsinn, about one mile north. In both instances it is essential to know what you want to accomplish well in advance.
mgtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 10:47 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Best Time Of Year To Drive To Forest City Iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgtr View Post
We have been to FC in June, July, Aug, Sep, and Oct. Never a problem with the weather (unless you are in a tent). Winnebago service is fine, as is service at Lichtsinn, about one mile north. In both instances it is essential to know what you want to accomplish well in advance.
Thanks for your feedback Duncan and happy holidays to you!
Old 01-05-2015, 09:24 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Majfrizz, I note your showing you have a 2015 Canyon. How do you like it so far? I'd guess you've only had it 2 or 3 months? I'm considering it also even though it's a little over my tow rating on my 8.1 liter Vortec Adventurer. Has anyone got the hardware made for flat towing it yet? Your thoughts and comments so far? Thanks in advance.
Lean 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 06:16 AM   #18
Winnie-Wise

So far it rides and handles great. Blue ox has the base plates. I am waiting for my dealer to get them installed this month. They told me not to hard to install but i am going to let them do it along with the lights and the Air Force One brakes. I have the CC LB V6 and been getting about 22MPG so far around town.
Old 01-06-2015, 06:52 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Thanks, sounds good. Let me know how it works out. Trying to get my wife interested in the switch as we have been towing her 2006 Saturn Vue. I'd like to get back to a 4x4 and the pickup truck benefits.
By the way I also used to ride Goldwings too and my last was a pearl yellow 2003. Have owned 3 Wings, plus a Valkyrie. Had a 1978 1000cc GW, a 2004 1200cc GW (least favorite), a 1999 1520cc Valkyrie Interstate then the 2003 1800 GW. Sure miss that last one a lot.
Lean 2 is offline   Reply With Quote