Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2013, 02:23 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

best route chicago to forest city

Taking our MH in for service at the Winnebago factory. Shortest way is 90W from Chicago to Rockford, then 20W into IA. Has anyone taken 20W? Not sure how local of a road it is and if I'm better off taking 90W all the way over and then heading South from Minnesota (even though it's 60 miles longer). Thanks!
deallaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:41 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

I am from Iowa and in Iowa. Hwy 20 is a good road. Look at taking I80 to Quad Cities and north from there. That is a long trip, if you need any stopping points around the quad cities, Davenport, Let me know. I know of atleast 2 that are open all year with full hookups. You can also stay at many Wally and gambling joints on the way. Wait until the snow events have passed. Have a save trip.
kewag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:52 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Highway 90 West to 20 then to 35 North. Get off at Clear Lake and take a left on 18 to Garner. Just past Garner take a right on 69 North and about 13 miles you will be in Forest City. 80 will work too to 35. There is the Largest Truck Stop in the US right outside of the Quad Cities but after that your next nearest Wally World would be Iowa City. After that Ames or Ankeny. They were in the process of rebuilding a large truck stop between Ames and Clear Lake when we went to the State Fair. Clear Lake does have a large truck stop also. After that you will be pretty much to your destination. Or you can take 90 all the way to Albert Lea. 60 miles longer? When I lived in North Dakota/Montana that might be the closest anything was to you.
sadiebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:04 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

thanks for the suggestions. I had another look at the map after reading your comments and now I'm leaning toward I80 then North up 35. doesn't seem to add much time even though it's 40mi longer. Plus more stopping options along the way - including Wally World ! Leaving Sunday so hopefully snow cleared out by then
Old 02-26-2013, 05:24 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

No need to go all the way to I 35. Take I 380 just past Iowa City to 218 to Charles City and across to 35. We travel this way to Sturgis every year, 45' with 24' trailer. Saves a lot of time, good roads!
sparkydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:38 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Leaving Sunday is a save bet, If you decide to stay anywhere along the Quad Cities, let me know and we will visit and say hi. Have a safe trip.
kewag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:22 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

X2 for the 80/ 380/ 218. Did it all the time for GNR when I owned a Winnie.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:42 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

X3 for the 80/380/218. We also did this form NY this summer. All good roads. While at Winnebago and the MH was being worked on we visited Mason city: Frank Lloyd Wright Stockman House is the Prairie School Design (economy model) built in 1895. We also toured the hotel that FLW designed and built in 1910--he built 5 in his lifetime, but this is the only one left in the world. This has been completely restored ($20million) and just reopened in September, 2011. Also Music Man Square. In Clear Lake visit Surf Ballroom (last place Buddy Holly played). Also visit the field the Plane crashed in out side of Clear Lake. See our blog on May 22, 23, &24 for additional pictures. RVGR8escape
RV735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:15 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I was on US 20 eastbound last fall from Cedar Rapids to Dubuque and the road is terible. Its a washboard it will jar your fillings out. I cant say what the westbound lane is like, I wouldn't try it. I went to FC, last fall and the 80/380/218 is a really good road and not alot of traffic.
ghutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:35 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the advice everyone. In the interest of science I tried 88/80/380 westbound and 20 eastbound. Time was same to NW Chicago (storage place near O'Hare). But the first 50 miles into IL was a nightmare on 20. Might be a nice drive during the day in a car through Galena, but not recommended in a motorhome at night. I was trying to beat a snow storm Monday night so figured I'd try the shorter 20 route. Ghutch - you're right a bumpy ride on the IA side too, but fortunately I still have my fillings. Bottom line take 88/80/380 to the "Saints Ave" highway. Thanks to Al and Brian (aka the SlideMeister) for servicing my rig in one day.