Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2021, 06:42 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Best Bike Rack

I'm looking to purchase a bike rack for my Winnebago 24d and was wondering if you can give me some recommendations from your experience? I want to take two bikes. Thanks for helping!
flattrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 08:00 AM   #2
Site Team

Bikes can be heavy so it would help to know if the bikes you’ve got are heavy electric bikes or lighter non-electric road bikes.

Racks can be had for $150 to $850. eTrailer has a good selection so does Amazon.

Behind an RV you want a platform bike rack not the hanging kind.

Here’s one I’m looking at on Amazon for heavier bikes. I don’t own it but have seen good reviews:

https://www.amazon.com/BUZZRACK-Appr...dp/B06XG5V1TQ/

This is the one I have and it’s worked fine but I’ve learned our bikes are too heavy for it.

https://www.amazon.com/Swagman-Cross...dp/B0001VO1YY/

Two of the best brands are Thule and Kuat. But they can get very expensive the ones I looked at at a bike store yesterday ranged fro $550 to $850.

Also be aware that bikes, especially electric bikes, have been huge sellers during the pandemic. Supplies are shorter, wait times longer and prices higher. This has been true of bike racks, as well.
Old 03-27-2021, 08:24 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I you are looking for a hitch receiver mounted rack, Oneup makes the best by far but they are $$$. I have a Kuat 2 bike and a Saris 4 bike. The Kuat is the easiest to load/unload but after 3 seasons in New England it is showing lots of corrosion and paint bubbling off the cast and extruded aluminum. The Saris is made in the USA and lifetime warranty. Lots of stamped steel with powdercoat, I worry about rust long term. If I could do it all over I should have paid the money for the Oneup. https://www.1up-usa.com/product-category/bike-racks/
FlyingBiskit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 10:26 AM   #4
Site Team

Here is what I use for our 2 regular (non electric) bicycles. We like this one because it is super sturdy, and also because I wanted to lock the bicycles to the rack and not rely on cables to secure the bikes. Because we lock the rack to the car and bicycles to the rack, it is harder to steal (a problem in most CA beach campsites). In a belt and suspenders approach, I also use a cable to lock the bikes together. The down side, which is minor for us, is that you have to screw the top down and it can take 30 seconds to get it tightened. Also, a hitch tightener may be needed to eliminate any wobble. Sometimes I use one and sometimes I don’t. The last issue (again, minor for us) is that is does not lower the bikes down, but that is partly why it’s sturdy. No moving parts, and everything is welded together. We used it about a year on both the RV and the CRV.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00029KBDA...ing=UTF8&psc=1
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 05:18 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I too agree that you do not want to "hang" bikes on a rack. I recommend Saris. They have a good selection of receiver hitch bike racks and good customer service. I have the THELMA, but they no longer make it, but parts are still available. Good Luck with your search!
DGundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 07:13 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Best bike rack

The 1up bike rack is awesome if you are looking for a hitch mount. I’ve traveled coast to coast 4 times with it as well as all the way to southern Baja. I have expensive bikes and never a scratch. The best thing is that you can cover bikes completely with a bike cover and they stay dry and clean!
mitchpadl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 11:28 PM   #7

This is a great $50 solution and it hangs on your rear ladder.

Camping World: Ladder Bike Rack

https://www.campingworld.com/ladder-...a&gclsrc=3p.ds

Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Ladder-...8205281&sr=8-3
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 06:45 AM   #8
2016 Winnebago View 24J

I bought this for my View 24J carring 2 fat tire e-bikes, 60 lbs each:
KAC Overdrive Sports K2 2” Hitch Mounted Rack 2-Bike Platform Style Carrier
https://www.amazon.com/Overdrive-Spo...omotive&sr=1-3
They specify "not for RV use" but I believe that applies to TT that would have the weight shifted too much to the rear. It works great for us - really heavy duty, fits the bikes nicely. Best features - it tilts down to load/unload, and fold up out of the way when not in use. A little spendy, but well worth it.
RayJorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 12:44 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

We haul 2 electric bikes with a Yakima bike rack, about $450. It is very heavy duty and very easy to mount the bikes. We can use it on the back of the View or back of the toad.
AZ Okies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 02:15 PM   #10
rvjimbo

Since people are adding comments on non-"D" models I thought I'd share my experience with the "G" model. I had one similar to macnut above, but it had the ability to articulate down to open the rear slide. In theory it was good, but to articulate, you really needed to remove the bikes completely to angle it down. Time consuming, and a problem if raining, and it added need to lock the bikes to something else for the night - not so easy in a Walmart parking lot! Also time consuming to put them back on.

The best rack for this model I feel is the Aero bikewing rack:

https://letsgoaero.com/bikewing-2-ne...two-bike-rack/

The bikes attach directly to the rack on either side, then with the release of a cotter pin the entire unit articulates down without removing the bikes. It takes a few seconds instead of many minutes. Same goes for the reverse when leaving. I made a cover out of a 6' grill cover that I added grommets along the bottom to cinch closed.

rvjimbo
2016 ViewG
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01725.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	423.9 KB
ID:	178295   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01727.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	423.2 KB
ID:	178296  

rvjimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 12:35 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I looked a long time before I could find a bike rack that was motorhome rated. The only ones I found were made by Swagman. I bought the Swagman Escapee. https://www.swagman.net/product.htm?...8205&cat=40497
It is rated to carry 2 E-bikes. We have used it several times with one E-bike and one hybrid bike. The rack is rock solid and the bikes mount very securely.
The only disadvantage is that the rack is heavy. But that seems a small price to pay.
Old 04-13-2021, 07:30 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Watched a RV You Tube Video this week where they came up to another RV where they lost the bumper and bikes when it broke off. Couldn't find it again but you definitely want a rack that mounts on your hitch. We have a K2 hitch and hauled 2 Electric bikes on our Outlook 31N Class C. We drove over 6,700 miles over some pretty rough roads with no problem. One was a step through and K2 gave us a second lock for it when I emailed them my concerns. Make sure if you have a step through that they rack can handle both a normal cross bar and step through if needed. Good Luck.
GJOoutlook31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 11:21 PM   #13
Winnebago Vita 24P

I have the Hollywood Rack for E bikes. Absolutely outstanding. Both bike are locked to the rack and I added Kryptonite lock and cable lock. The rack is very heavy, but also tilts to ease access. Unfortunately the Rack has been on backorder for months. I just traveled 6k miles through all kinds of roads and the rack is rock solid. It uses the 2 inch hitch, and has a built in stabilizer to lock the hitch solid.
Old 04-15-2021, 08:43 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

We have the swagman rack for two bikes and it works out well for us. I have a more expensive hanging rack from Yakima and it is a pain. The swagman is much easier. I do need to have the hitch extender on it to clear the rear bumper though.
Mashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 10:51 AM   #15
Winnebago Watcher

I have been very happy with my KUAT 2.0 rack. Has pivot capability (with foot assist) and can handle up to 2 bikes 60 lbs each. With an add-on it can handle 1-2 additional bikes. Integrated bike locks. Construction is excellent and is holding up well after 3 years of use.

https://www.kuat.com/product/nv-2-0/
MusicMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 07:38 PM   #16
Winnie-Wise

There are very few racks (Thule, Yakima, 1up) that provide a ramp so you can wheel a 65-70 lb e-bike up to the where it will sit. I have no desire to lift a heavy e-bike and insert it into wheel holders that are a foot in from where I can stand and lift it back up again to put it back on the ground.

Most racks top put at 130 lbs which means they can handle two 65 lb bikes with nothing added to the stock bikes. Most are also not rated by their manufacturer for use on an RV or trailer where more stress is put on the rack from road bumps.
Elkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 05:06 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Hi all, hopefully folks are still checking this thread. I have a MM 2100BH and it came with a 2 inch receiver for a bike rack. The thing I'm trying to figure out is where to put the spare tire which is currently attached to the bumper. I don't think I've seen a bike rack that can attach to the receiver and sticks out far enough to clear the spare tire. Is it safe to assume any bike rack option will require me to find another location for my spare?
Old 04-18-2022, 05:22 PM   #18
Site Team

There are extensions that will move your bikes further back. But I think you'll find that bikes on the back of a travel trailer is not very satisfactory. Most bike racks on the market will not support that kind of use so you have to search carefully.

Also, with longer extensions and your bikes further behind the TT you'll be scraping the rack on driveway dips much more often.

The best place for your bikes is above your Propane tanks, or in the bed of your TV. Many put a hitch on the front of the truck and put the bikes there as well.

They do make bike racks that attach to your spare tire mount, too.

Check eTrailer.com for all of these different products.

You'll have to decide what works best for you and if you want to risk the bikes out there on the back of your TT.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-04-18 at 6.21.03 PM.png
Views:	46
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	182547  
Old 06-15-2022, 07:23 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

1-Up Bike Rack

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchpadl View Post
The 1up bike rack is awesome if you are looking for a hitch mount. I’ve traveled coast to coast 4 times with it as well as all the way to southern Baja. I have expensive bikes and never a scratch. The best thing is that you can cover bikes completely with a bike cover and they stay dry and clean!
FWIW I'll second the 1-up bike rack. have owned the 2" dual heavy duty for about 7-8 years now. Looks as good now as when I bought it. I use a double hitch in the Journey Express sliding the bike rack into the top one and my blue ox in the lower for the toad. The bikes are far enough away from the diesel that even with a cover I do not have to worry about impeding any airflow or blocking the back light visibility.

It took awhile for me to learn to put the smaller bike on the rack closest to the vehicle - and once I learned that the cover goes on ever so easily.

Two things I found with this rack...
the Allen wrench locking mechanism and tools is unique - don't lose the Allen wrench
secondly the rack itself is pricey, almost indestructible, and a bit heav, but once secured,it is secured and the arms that lock the bikes in really hold the bike solidly - thousands of miles and never a worry.

Good luck
Brian