Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-01-2006, 06:06 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I've just picked up my 2002 Adventurer, but the bedroom slide will not operate unless the engine is cranked. Is this normal? It would seem that the slide should operate without the engine. The living room slide operates fine, but not the bedroom. I have tried with the generator running, and with the ignition set to accessory, but the only success has been with the engine running.
Old 04-01-2006, 06:06 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I've just picked up my 2002 Adventurer, but the bedroom slide will not operate unless the engine is cranked. Is this normal? It would seem that the slide should operate without the engine. The living room slide operates fine, but not the bedroom. I have tried with the generator running, and with the ignition set to accessory, but the only success has been with the engine running.
Old 04-02-2006, 03:17 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

On my 03 the slides will not operate unless the emergency brake is set. Many of our coaches has safety factors built in. I really don't have a clue as to why one slide would work and the other doesn't. Good Luck
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 04:22 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

To operate my slides, the transmission must ne in "N" and the air brake must be set and then it will operate with or without the key in the ignition and with or without the engine running.

Aventa II Tow Bar/Apollo Braking
El Jeffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 05:05 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

If the kitchen slide works with the engine off then I would think the bedroom slide would also.
Since the bedroom slide is so far from the batteries, maybe there is a low voltage problem due to insufficient battery charge or a poor connection.
Starting the engine will bump the voltage up and that might be enough to operate the slide.
If the generator does not charge the engine battery (I don't think it does, but am not certain) that would explain why the generator would make no difference
Old 04-02-2006, 11:38 AM   #6
Administrator Emeritus

I read somewhere on these forums that the engine alternator provides power to the slide motors....Key should be on.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 05:37 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

In our 2002 35U, it is required that the E-brake be on and with or without the engine running, the slide(s) will operate. We normally do it with the engine running, simply to ease the impact to the engine battery.

When reading your post it referenced "when you picked it up". Was this due to someone servicing your unit? If so was the service related to your slide operation?

If you choose to chase down the problem, I'll be glad to assist anyway that I can.

Mike & Lisa
TheRVGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 06:11 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
I read somewhere on these forums that the engine alternator provides power to the slide motors....Key should be on. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
rebelsbeach is correct, the key has to be on, however mine will operate with engine not running.
Old 04-03-2006, 10:44 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Did you check to see if the house batteries are switched on? Check the switch by the door. I do not need to run the engine to move the slides.
Old 05-07-2006, 05:26 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Thought I'd provide an update: It seems that the screw at the parking brake sensor was stripped and would cause the slide to only work intermittently. Also the chassis battery was low and needed to be replaces. Both slides now work fine without the engine running or the key on.
Old 05-07-2006, 05:59 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the update and glad it's working properly for you.

Mike
TheRVGuy is offline   Reply With Quote