Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2013, 01:57 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Basement Compartment gas springs

I am having a problem finding out what replacement gas spring I need for the basement compartment immediately behind the pax side front wheel on my 03 UA. This door has only one gas spring while all the others have two each. The parts book says "21"/45 lb" for all. Last year while in Indiana I took the original/failing spring to a surplus parts place and after some analysis of what I had by the guy there, I took home an 80lb. It is worse than the failing original. There is no way the original is 45lb, but even the factory tells me that's what it is. When I press it against a scale I get 95lb. With the new 80lb spring I get 91lb. NEITHER of these will hold up the door. Does anyone know what strength I actually need for this door? 120lb? 140lb?

Old 04-05-2013, 02:24 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I'll take it, that you have checked that there was never a second gas strut mounted on the door, no tell tale screw holes saying ; somethings missing; and that this has been a problem since you got the coach , not since new.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:43 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I bought it new. One gas spring in the middle of the door. About 2 yr ago it began to have trouble holding the door up.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:53 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

After dealing with gas springs in various places on my MH over the past several years, I have learned to go bigger. It's a lot better to have to push a bit harder to get it closed, than not to have it stay open! Go with the 120.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:50 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I just bought & installed this date two 120# units to hold up the bed when we're rummaging around there. They work! Suggest you bring the old unit to a bona fide new parts store (need not be a Winnie dealer) and get a seriously stronger part. Another consideration - the released length is a factor. Maybe the replacement you got is too short - check the length against the other installed gas springs. (that's what these are - gas springs - as Clyon nicely mentioned. Many folks call them shock absorbers, in error.) Another thing you might try - remove the gas spring from one of the other functioning compartment doors and put it on the non-functioning door. I'd like to hear what you find!
nbounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:01 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I agree with go bigger, but first make sure the mounting points are in good condition. I have been dealing with those gas springs for several years and I find that I am repairing the mounting points about as much as the springs. Shop around on the internet, as prices vary a lot for the same specs. The existing springs should have model numbers on them that you can research.
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:11 PM   #7
Former Winnebago Class A

Just about all of my gas springs needed to be replaced. As a matter of fact I have two in shipment to me as we speak. Usually the item number is printed alongside the housing. Mine were no longer available. I found this place - Associated Spring Raymond - and they have been great at determining the right replacement spring and shipping them to me quickly. 1 800 872-7732 is their customer service line.

My larger doors take the GSNI215090 spring... I believe they were about $17 ea.

Good luck with yours....
Old 04-07-2013, 06:21 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Another place that was helpful and good to deal with is SPD Hardware - Gas Springs, Hinges, Catches, Latches, Handles, Drawer Slides, Rope Rings, Door Holders, Weather-stripping
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:27 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Any reasonably competent RV store should have them in stock. Call around before you go buzzing around town. These are common parts.
nbounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:20 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Not a problem finding many ...my problem was knowing what the original strength was ...no numbers on the original part for reference. There ARE numbers on all others on my coach, which tells me that in spite of what Winnebago tells me, this one is NOT the same 45lb that is on the other doors. Knowing 80 was not enough, I ordered a 120lb through an auto parts place and it works great.

Tags
gas