Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2021, 08:32 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Back-up camera recommendations?

Hi all!
My wife and I are newbies to this group so I ask your forgiveness if this is the wrong spot to ask the question.
We have an older RV a Winnebago Itasca Sunrise 23'. We will be parking on our street next summer and though neighbours don't seems to mind they do park relatively close both front and back. Now we have hitches on both front and back currently a bike rack on the front one which helps keep some distance to the car parked in front but can't see anything that is close parked on the rear.
No issue when my wife is there to help but next summer I will be picking her up on Thursday afternoons to head out for the weekend and I am concerned about backing up into something.
So there are DOZENS of backup cameras on the market but I would love some advice from people here who know what works and what does not.
Though I am nuts about drilling holes and running power and shielded cable, I will and have lots of experience on that end. But I am also interested in how well the wireless options work.
Thanks for any input !
Brian
SunriseMtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 08:33 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I have a wireless backup camera that interfaces with my Garmin GPS on my Ford E350 van and it works great. At 23' you probably won't have a problem receiving the signal but, if you do, a Bluetooth extender should solve the problem.

In any case, I would buy a quality unit with a nice, large display.

If, by chance, you have a compatible Garmin GPS, you can add a backup camera.

If you buy a camera via Amazon and verify that it's w/free returns, you should be able to do a minimally invasive test hookup and return it if it doesn't work. You should also read the reviews and questions.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 09:10 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
I have a wireless backup camera that interfaces with my Garmin GPS on my Ford E350 van and it works great. At 23' you probably won't have a problem receiving the signal but, if you do, a Bluetooth extender should solve the problem.

In any case, I would buy a quality unit with a nice, large display.

If, by chance, you have a compatible Garmin GPS, you can add a backup camera.

If you buy a camera via Amazon and verify that it's w/free returns, you should be able to do a minimally invasive test hookup and return it if it doesn't work. You should also read the reviews and questions.
Looked at this model Garmin:
Garmin Drive 6" GPS (Drive 61 LM)
Checked and it is compatible with the BC30 wireless camera. I will probably go with this setup. Cheers!
Old 10-10-2021, 10:06 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunriseMtl View Post
Looked at this model Garmin:
Garmin Drive 6" GPS (Drive 61 LM)
Checked and it is compatible with the BC30 wireless camera. I will probably go with this setup. Cheers!
I think you made a good choice by going with Garmin. I don't know if you checked Amazon, but they have it for $87.01. The camera hookup is a cinch. You just wire it to your back up lights.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 04:14 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I used the Garmin as well, I mounted it to a (Sintra) plastic plate and then used double-sided tape to attach that to the camper. For power I tapped into the center clearance light.
MainelyScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 06:04 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

back up

high all, we had an old 92 adventure 34 ft. brought a cheap wireless 8 inch screen color camera system off amazon, used existing wiring , wired in unit , fab a mounting bracket at rear and off we went , it was still working years later , and then sold our class A . I think it was about 30-50 dollars
gabbyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 06:13 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Sunrise, we had a 1993 Itasca Passage that wasn't much different than yours. I put an inexpensive wireless camera that had a license plate bracket and since it was wireless all it needed was power. I did that by hooking it up to the left tail light where the plate mounts and put the receiver on the A pillar to the left of the steering column. Your dash is probabiy tilts up like ours did and makes easy access
to wiring. We loved our passage until 2014 when we decided to upgrade to another Itasca.
jmo01830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 01:19 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I've been using this one on my 30' Winnie class C, and it works very well. It was simple to install.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
DesertRatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 01:53 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Wanted to thank everyone for the great input. I decided to go with a Garmin BC40 and Garmin Drive 61 Navigation system. I was lucky and picked up a factory refurbished Nav unit and there was a local rv'er who upgraded to a larger trailer which came with a BU camera and had a BC40 for sale, so I snapped it up.
I think this is setup that was recommended thanks to this community will be perfect, offering GPS maps as well as Hands-free phone access and no wiring necessary. I only wish the maps/settings would have allowed me to input my vehicle height and include that in warnings. Not that I wouldn't pay attention to what I am about to drive through or under but just that it would suggest other routes. From what I have read only the commercial or truck versions offer this option. Still super happy with my choice and I can't wait until April 15th when Sunrise comes out of the storage yard.

Tags
camera