Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2024, 09:25 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Atwood GCH10A3e Motoraid Water Heater 2000 Journey 34B

Gooooood evening all
I have a 2000 journey 34b. The atwood water heater has the engine heater option "H" . I understand the engine will heat the water tank when running, but I was wondering if anyone has experience with the water heater working in reverse. To heat the engine coolant. When engine is not running. A great feature if it worked that way. Pre heat engine for cold starts.
Autotomk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2024, 02:45 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Unfortunately it doesn't work that way. There are units that do. You may have an electric engine heater. My 2014 Meridian 34B does. It plugs in in the electrical compartment and is controlled by a switch in the panel inside.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2024, 04:09 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Atwood

Thanks for reply arron. My duramax block heater will convection??? heat collant to the point the upper radiator hose is warm, we'll not cold to the touch may be better description. Some time the snow melts off the hood also. It does have oil pan and trans. Pan heating pad also. A lot of pre heat under there. But that was where the question came from. Convection. Anyway thanks again.
Autotomk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2024, 10:12 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autotomk View Post
Thanks for reply arron. My duramax block heater will convection??? heat collant to the point the upper radiator hose is warm, we'll not cold to the touch may be better description. Some time the snow melts off the hood also. It does have oil pan and trans. Pan heating pad also. A lot of pre heat under there. But that was where the question came from. Convection. Anyway thanks again.
The Winnebago system uses a much smaller hose, I suppose it "might" provide some convection, however, I doubt it would be enough to make a noticeable difference.

I avoid cold weather, so hopefully I never have to find out how well the engine heater works.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2024, 10:57 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

I think the problem will be in the idea of convection moving water for that distance.
When using the engine heat to warm the water heater, the fluid is pushed by the engine water pump to the back and return.
When thinking of the water heater moving water to the engine, there is no pump and only convection over what is normally a very long distance. It "might" eventually get some level of heating but on a cold day the loss to outside air is more than I think will ever make it worthwhile.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2024, 12:02 AM   #6
1996 Itasca 29Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autotomk View Post
Gooooood evening all
I have a 2000 journey 34b. The atwood water heater has the engine heater option "H" . I understand the engine will heat the water tank when running, but I was wondering if anyone has experience with the water heater working in reverse. To heat the engine coolant. When engine is not running. A great feature if it worked that way. Pre heat engine for cold starts.
The problem is that a pump would be required to circulate the water, it's doable with a bit of modification.
Bobn1957 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2024, 07:17 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Amazon has some 12V auto coolant pumps. You may also be able to find a 120v coolant water heater with a pump. Amazon has one but it looks like 220v, but specs says 110/220v.

Tags
atwood, heater, water heater, water, journey, heat