Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2016, 07:01 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Are Navions/Views difficult to service in rural areas?

To Navion/View Owners:

I am considering buying a 10-year old Navion/View to be able to drive to places my Class A towing a CR-V is too big or expensive to take.

For example, I want to drive from Deming, NM to Milwaukee, WI. Diesel for the round-trip would exceed $1000.

One of the few complaints I have heard about the Navion/View, however, is that it must be serviced at a Mercedes dealer, which are few and far between in the rural areas I frequent.

Do current Navion/View owners have trouble getting their coaches serviced?

Also, I am thinking of driving the Navion/View down to Mexico. I would have it serviced beforehand in the US.

Have any current Navion/View owners driven to Mexico? Did you have any issues?

Thank you for your help.

Liz
Old 06-30-2016, 03:45 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

sounds like you might have answered your own question... to say that if a Mercedes dealer is unlikely to be nearby, then so would getting service. But I also think that would go just the same for a bus.

But in Mexico, it looks like there are plenty of Mercedes dealers.. so you'd probably be better off in the Navion/View.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
2005 Fleetwood Revolution
'12 Chevy 2500HD
'15 Airstream International Signature 27FB
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 07:28 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thank you for the input.

My Class A has a Cummins engine. I've found it pretty easy to get serviced all across the USA, in both rural and urban areas.

Thanks!

Liz

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
But in Mexico, it looks like there are plenty of Mercedes dealers.. so you'd probably be better off in the Navion/View.
Old 06-30-2016, 09:56 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

There is one more complication to consider. Not all Mercedes dealers are authorized to service Sprinters and Sprinter based motorhomes. We found out about this the hard way. On our first trip we had an axle seal fail (due to improper installation). There was a Mercedes dealer within 10 miles but they were not a Sprinter repair site. The nearest Sprinter repair capable dealer was approximately 400 miles away. We had a local RV dealership repair it and then went a couple of rounds with Mercedes to be reimbursed. We kept the Sprinter motorhome for 3 years and traded it for a Class A.
Devilsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 08:49 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thank you.

Liz

[QUOTE=Devilsquid;3140332]There is one more complication to consider. Not all Mercedes dealers are authorized to service Sprinters and Sprinter based motorhomes. /QUOTE]
Old 07-01-2016, 09:00 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

What services are you concerned about? This unit would no be under a warranty with Mercedes, also it may be a Dodge vehicle.

Oil changes can be done anywhere, Jiffy Lube, Oil Can Henry etc.

Dodge dealer work on these also, and there seems to be more Dodge Dealers that work on sprinters, they can't do warranty work on Mercedes.

Dodge and Freightliner Dealers can work on the engine

Tire shops can replace brakes as well as tires.

My Mercedes Dealers (two of them) that I use for warranty work could not do a front end alignment. I went to a local truck shop and they did a great job.

I love my View MH, I do my own maintenance, oil and fuel filter changes, but that's me.

Good luck with what ever you do.

Dale
paisleydale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 03:32 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thank you Dale for the excellent information.

How could a Navion/View on a Mercedes Sprinter chassis be a Dodge vehicle? I assume I could tell this from the VIN?

I was told that even oil changes had to be done by a Mercedes dealer because only they had the necessary tools. From what you say, this does not appear to be the case.

I really like the Navion/View. It may be perfect for me (ok, ok -- nothing's perfect) but it would be a great little run-around MH for me to take me places I can't go in the Class A.

Thank you again for your help. I appreciate it.

Liz

Quote:
Originally Posted by paisleydale View Post
What services are you concerned about? This unit would no be under a warranty with Mercedes, also it may be a Dodge vehicle.

Oil changes can be done anywhere, Jiffy Lube, Oil Can Henry etc.
Old 07-02-2016, 03:01 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Older sprinters have the Dodge badge on it, but if you remove the grill it is stamped Mercedes.

I had a check engine light on and the local Dodge Dealer could and would fix it, but since I was still under warranty I chose not to. It seems to me that more Dodge Dealers can work on sprinters than Mercedes Dealers.

As far as tools to change the oil, it is the easiest oil change I have ever done. The oil drain is barely behind the bumper not way under the engine like most engines. The oil filter is a little tricky if you don't get wrench that fits the top of the oil filter housing.

The big thing is the correct oil, for the 3.0 V6 you need oil that meets MB 229.31 or 229.51, NAPA has this on sale quite often for $5.99 a quart but you do need a little over 13 quarts to change, but every 10,000 miles it's not to bad.

Like I said we love ours, we have 35,000 mile it in less than 2 years.
paisleydale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 04:41 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Thank you!

I'm currently driving my friend's 2015 Navion IQ over 1700 miles from Deming, NM to Chapin, SC. I love it but don't love the teeny, tiny bathroom. I'll look for the model with the single bed and larger bathroom. I do not like the 24H.

Thanks again for your input. I really appreciate it.

Liz

P.S. - Gotta love the mileage! Plus, people ask me about it wherever we stop. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paisleydale View Post
Older sprinters have the Dodge badge on it, but if you remove the grill it is stamped Mercedes.

The big thing is the correct oil, for the 3.0 V6 you need oil that meets MB 229.31 or 229.51, NAPA has this on sale quite often for $5.99 a quart but you do need a little over 13 quarts to change, but every 10,000 miles it's not to bad.

Like I said we love ours, we have 35,000 mile it in less than 2 years.
Old 07-04-2016, 08:04 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Liz, we have a 2016 Navion 24j and love it. Ours has the corner bed and although the bed can be difficult to make the advantages outweigh the disadvantages. We have enjoyed the coach and would be hard to part with it for anything else. The gas mileage alone will make you a believer.
Have fun, Lynn
Lynnowensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 03:03 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Hi Lynn,

I've been traveling in my friend's 24H since Sat. when we left Deming, NM headed for Chapin,SC. The bathroom is tiny. It looks bigger in the 24J.

And you're right -- the mileage is amazing. We're averaging between 14 and 16 mpg.

Liz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynnowensmom View Post
Liz, we have a 2016 Navion 24j and love it. Ours has the corner bed and although the bed can be difficult to make the advantages outweigh the disadvantages. We have enjoyed the coach and would be hard to part with it for anything else. The gas mileage alone will make you a believer.
Have fun, Lynn
Old 08-11-2016, 04:35 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

benz

unless you are rich you might not want anything to do with a benz. outrageous hr rates and everything is five times the price. friend has a sprinter and it has been in shop more than on the road. transmission doesnt even have a dipstick benz has to check fluid for you. that way they get you back in to sell you more services at crazy prices. last i heard he needed trans fluid changed 600.00 bucks. they dont even drain the torque converter. ripoff. maybe a ford or chevy van you can convert for very little might be a better call. just my 2 cents. go on sprinter-source forum and do some reading i did and wow it opened my eyes.
oldsman41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 05:31 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsman41 View Post
unless you are rich you might not want anything to do with a benz. outrageous hr rates and everything is five times the price. friend has a sprinter and it has been in shop more than on the road. transmission doesnt even have a dipstick benz has to check fluid for you. that way they get you back in to sell you more services at crazy prices. last i heard he needed trans fluid changed 600.00 bucks. they dont even drain the torque converter. ripoff. maybe a ford or chevy van you can convert for very little might be a better call. just my 2 cents. go on sprinter-source forum and do some reading i did and wow it opened my eyes.
I don't think the roughly ten folks here in my neighborhood with Navions and Views would agree with much of this. Long time owners, most of them.
Old 08-11-2016, 05:54 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Liz, having now 2 Sprinter based RVs (a Class B and now a C) I offer the following:

ANY newer RV will be more expensive to maintain. Just like newer cars. They are complicated and require special expert knowledge and often access to a factory computer system to quickly diagnose problems, reprogram its computers and even determine the correct level of oil in the transmission. They are NOT my father-in-law's 70ish Coachman Leprachan with a Chebby C-20 chassis and small block V8.

I'd look for a newer model year. Pre 09s are getting long in the tooth...even if they have low miles. Mother Benz moved to the 3.0 turbo V6 about 6-7 years ago. It is a small powerful motor that is economical, smooth running and QUIET. It comes with a 5 speed automatic. Its still here and Mother has added an awesome twin turbo 4 cylinder diesel with a 7 speed auto box in 2015.

Compared to Chivvy and Fords, the Sprinter cab is quiet, comfortable and has great HVAC. No "dog house' between the seats to trip, stumble and fall over. Importantly...you will not be roasted by the engine's heat coming from the dog house like my FiL's Chebby. (Yes...they have not changed in that respect in 40 years.... And owners with dog houses are still MacGuyvering unsatisfactory work arounds for it.)

Different models may have slightly bigger or smaller lavatories....a difference of inches usually. The 24G has the large slide out bed room & almost Queen size bed.

Last. The 'marriage' between Dodge and Daimler (Mother's parents) ended when Fiat bought Chrysler from Daimler a couple years back. So, Daimler now only owns Benz and Freightliner. Fiat now owns Dodge. You can take the newer Sprinters to either Daimler companies...but best to do a Benz store. Dodge will work on (if able) the older Dodge branded vans. Can't say every Benz store can service Sprinters yet....But more of them appear to be selling and servicing the vans.

You tell Dodge from Benz: silver three point star on grill = Benz; dead animal thingie = Dodge. Or by the VIN. Some Dodge owners upgraded from dead animals to Benz emblems for better ride, performance and mpg....... So VINs or registration would be the thing.

Not every Chrysler-Fiat-Dodge store could service the vans either.... Our Dodge dealer didn't have the equipment and lifts.
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 01:42 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

sorry if i ruffled some feathers here but at least go to the sprinter source forums and read of all the problems with the motor. not my money but i think if your on here asking you should read what the owners have to say on the sprinter forum too.
oldsman41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 09:53 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
sorry if i ruffled some feathers here but at least go to the sprinter source forums and read of all the problems with the motor. not my money but i think if your on here asking you should read what the owners have to say on the sprinter forum too.
I doubt if you ruffled anyones feathers. Everyone has an opinion and is welcome to express themselves.

I have had two Sprinters and probably will have another in the near future, our current RV is a Navion IQ 24V. Love everything about the 24V, actually has the largest of all the bath rooms.

Only issue with an Oil change, finding a drain pan capable of holding at least 3 1/2 gallons.

Fuel filters are a snap, once you can get to it, removing air intake and other plastic stuff. Find the fuel filter drain in case you get water in the fuel.

When was the last time you checked the transmission fluid on any of your vehicles?

Freightliner / Mercedes are the two main Warranty maintenance shops.
Maintenance is like all new vehicles things are computer driven and require the proper computer to read the error codes. Things like lineups, tire balance simple maintenance can be done at any shop you trust.
S Bradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 08:18 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

I have had a lot of problems with my 15 View G. Only one Mercedes issue, the airbag light came on, called Lynnwood WA Mercedes, left it for one day. The place is nice, the work was as expected. I don't think the Sprinter side is an issue. For people looking to buy a new WGO View, I will tell you to watch out. My friends bought a 15 Itasca Sun Nova and had an issue with the plumbing. They took it to the Seattle Area selling dealer who stopped servicing WGO at their site, shipped it to OR, could not fix their issues. They now have to drive it to a site south of them about 50 miles. The good news is that dealer fixed their issues, one was no speakers so no radio working. It took 7 months to get that fixed.
My issue is I go to another Seattle area dealer. Too many things to discuss here but my point is the Mercedes side is easy.
Old 08-14-2016, 09:18 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Something to keep in mind is, forums are where a great number of owners never end up in, unless they have problems. I haven't come across one Navion / View owner in person who didn't seem to love their RV.
Old 08-14-2016, 09:37 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Well count me as one who is not in love. Too many problems. I have not been able to use my View a lot. Last winter the propane issue and 3 months to fix the recall ment no use in the Winter. In Seattle we use our motorhome in winter but not last year. Now my View has not worked on hot weather because of the roof AC. Two times to the dealer and two week let no fix. I may not get it back for another 10 day and this is if I am lucky. Too many problems, bad dealer, bad support from WGO.
Old 08-14-2016, 10:14 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffie Drink View Post
Well count me as one who is not in love. Too many problems. I have not been able to use my View a lot. Last winter the propane issue and 3 months to fix the recall ment no use in the Winter. In Seattle we use our motorhome in winter but not last year. Now my View has not worked on hot weather because of the roof AC. Two times to the dealer and two week let no fix. I may not get it back for another 10 day and this is if I am lucky. Too many problems, bad dealer, bad support from WGO.
I've never met you "in person", but if I had, you'd be just one unhappy of many who are.

BTW, did you buy your View brand new? Why don't you take it to a better dealer?

Tags
service