Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2008, 12:20 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Our Sharp micro/conv died shortly after its first year. We paid $85 to fix, several months later $20, at 2 1/2 years Sharp rebuilt the unit (wouldn't replace it tho service said would be cheaper). At 3 years 8 months quit again. Service said will be $365, so we want to buy something else, since my 1994 is a GE, we think that would be a good choice. Hubby is afraid the screws won't line up so would appreciate hearing from someone who has replaced their over the range vented unit. Thx
Old 04-04-2008, 12:20 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Our Sharp micro/conv died shortly after its first year. We paid $85 to fix, several months later $20, at 2 1/2 years Sharp rebuilt the unit (wouldn't replace it tho service said would be cheaper). At 3 years 8 months quit again. Service said will be $365, so we want to buy something else, since my 1994 is a GE, we think that would be a good choice. Hubby is afraid the screws won't line up so would appreciate hearing from someone who has replaced their over the range vented unit. Thx
Old 04-04-2008, 01:56 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Bea and Carl

Our Sharp is still working great after more than 4 years (and bouncing for 57,000 miles) ... either we got an especially good one ... or you got a very bad one ...
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 03:06 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I'd go with Sharp again. I realize that is hard to do condsidering the problems you've had but we've always been very happy with anything we have that is made by Sharp. I do believe they make some of the best microwaves available. You must have just been unlucky and got one made by someone on their last day of employment! I'd write Sharp a letter detailing the history of your current microwave- maybe they will send you a coupon giving you a break on the purchase of a new one? Good Luck with whatever you decide!
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 03:54 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Re Sharp micro/convec ovens. We hate hate hate ours. It works okay (i.e. not broken). But the user interface sucks to put it mildly. As a microwave, it's okay. But if you just want to bake a biscuit, there's no way to do it. We would like to find a (microwave/)convection oven that we could simply set the temperature and maybe the time to cook. Sharp thinks there are only a few things people want to cook and if it's not on the m/c oven's menu then you have to experiment with something like "rack of lamb" (how many of you cook that in your MH?) and guess how much it would weigh to equal 1 stupid biscuit,and then it tells you that .01 pounds is invalid. Sharp engineers may think they have invented the ultimate in high-tech ovens, but they need to do some cooking on their products and discover that you bake at a certain temperature for some period of time and there are many, many foods which you would cook at the same temperature for the same amount of time and have very different outcomes. We vote for SIMPLICITY. Rant over.
Chas
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 04:43 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Ski you always were lucky,believe me dealing with Sharp has been a mess. We looked at GE but the mounting is so diff we will have to get another Sharp if we can find some one who sells them. Local stores don't. Since we have to go to FC to get the coach painted again maybe Winnie will sell us one.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:59 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Chas - I certainly agree with everything you've said. This has been our first convection oven and we'd like to learn how to use it but the Sharp book doesn't even tell how to bake a potato, let alone anything else of practical value. So we end up using it to keep things warm that were cooked in the gas oven or just use it as microwave. Certainly a big waste of a technical piece of equipment. Like so much equipment, the engineers who design them have never been out of their office or have the slightest idea how its used in real life.
Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 07:32 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

We had the Panasonic in our old coach and that 1995 Convection Microwave was reliable and had one of the most user friendly interfaces I have used. Just about any member of the family could use it without haveing to ask a question or read a manual. Well actually a first timer would ask if it really was as easy as it appeared to be.

The Sharp in our current coach had us all scouring the manual to figure the thing out. When it goes there will not be another Sharp going back in its place regardless of the mounting holes. Old holes can be plugged and new holes can be drilled.
Old 04-05-2008, 03:27 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wagonmaster2:
but the Sharp book doesn't even tell how to bake a potato, let alone anything else of practical value. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Our Sharp Carousel Sensor convection/micro came with a fairly extensive cookbook. The controls are not complicated and many operations are one or two touches of the buttons.

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 05:09 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I have to agree with Tom on this one. Our Sharp mirco/convec has been fantastic. The DW has baked pies, bread, cakes, biscuits, muffins, pizza, vegetable broth...potatoes are simple. We did get a detailed cookbook with ours again like Tom stated so either they didn't supply this with yours or perhaps they are different models? Or perhaps different by Winnie model (Tom's and mine are the same essentially).

The DW is so happy with it that demands we get the same or similar in the house we plan to build in a few years. She never liked micros before and we didn't have one for 15yrs in the houses we had because we thought they were useless. By the way we live fulltime in our RV and use it every day, multiple times a day.

Tks.
Kyle

W24 8.1 Vortec
Kyle241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 07:23 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I have to chime in on the support side of the Sharp Micro/Convection. Ours is 4 years old and we have 27,000 miles on the coach. At first the oven was a little intimidating, but I read the manual and we figured out how to bake some beer bread fairly quickly. So far everything has been doable. Sometimes I have to stop and think of how it works to remember a certain method, but my DW and I really like it. At times I still have to read the manual or cookbook.
Joe
JWatkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 08:16 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Our Sharp died in less that 4 months. Winnebago replaced it.
I would love to find an 1/2 Time/Convection/Microwave that would fit in that space. Our Fifth Wheels had those.
The interior of ours looks awful. Going to try to clean it now that we are home. The outside doesn't look that great either.

2007 Itasca Meridian DP
C&C R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 10:51 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Neil it's not a problem with drilling or plugging holes. The GE Advantium only mounts along the bottom where there are only 2 mounting blocks in the coach. The Sharp mounts across the top with 10 screws, the mounting plates on a GE do not go that high and you have to remount the fan. I don't care to spend $750 on a Maytag. I love the way our Sharp bakes and found it very easy to use. If we find something cheaper that will alligh with the mounting blocks we will change brands. As it is DH doesn't want to drill holes thru the fibergass. As Ski said, we got the Sharp, the thermostat, the heat pump,the hydraulic pump, the awning, and the inverter that were made on Friday afternoon at quitting time. I only hope that the Norcold holds up.lol
Old 04-05-2008, 09:15 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Sharp/convection in rig---22,000 miles, bakes great biscuit's, meatloaf, enchiladas and cake, fully detailed conversion cookbook. Old Sharp mico at stick house over 14 years old- still going. DW is not big on cooking---LOVES the Sharp Conversion.

Best,
ruppr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 01:31 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom N:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wagonmaster2:
but the Sharp book doesn't even tell how to bake a potato, let alone anything else of practical value. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Our Sharp Carousel Sensor convection/micro came with a fairly extensive cookbook. The controls are not complicated and many operations are one or two touches of the buttons.

-Tom </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tom,

When you are used to something vastly superior it is hard to warm up to anything else. The Sharp we currently have has no clear menu item that allows combination cooking nor is there anything in the manual that describes this operation.

The Panasonic in my 1995 Vectra did not need an extensive cookbook and there was no learning curve aside from walking up to the panel and deciding Microwave Only, Convection Bake, Convection Roast, Combination Convection/Microwave and then decide Timed or Sensor cooking. A few shortcut keys for reheat, 1-6 minutes, veggies, fish, meat, potatoes, beverage and don't forget the popcorn.

Even my kids could cook or bake anything using their favorite cookbook, "The American Farm Journal", without checking out a proprietary cookbook or open a manual.

Hopefully Sharp has learned from the mistake that was put into my coach in 2001 however Panasonic seemed to have been way ahead of Sharp as far as ease of use back in 1995.
Old 04-06-2008, 01:43 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Beabop:
Neil it's not a problem with drilling or plugging holes. The GE Advantium only mounts along the bottom where there are only 2 mounting blocks in the coach. The Sharp mounts across the top with 10 screws, the mounting plates on a GE do not go that high and you have to remount the fan. I don't care to spend $750 on a Maytag. I love the way our Sharp bakes and found it very easy to use. If we find something cheaper that will alligh with the mounting blocks we will change brands. As it is DH doesn't want to drill holes thru the fibergass. As Ski said, we got the Sharp, the thermostat, the heat pump,the hydraulic pump, the awning, and the inverter that were made on Friday afternoon at quitting time. I only hope that the Norcold holds up.lol </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You may be able to used a piece of sheetmetal to extend the bracket for the GE so it can be attached to the ten holes. As long as the Sharp was not installed venting out the back then there should not be any cutting of new holes in the fiberglass only some creative duct work though the cabinet above. Even if it did you could install the new one ventless and seal the old vent shut.
Old 04-06-2008, 03:16 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

When in FC check the overstock and discontinued store.

They had a few convection ovens on the shelf

Ask the guys they will know if they can get one for you
"Everyone Goes Home"
depchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 05:41 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Beabop:

Our Sharp died after 3+ years so replaced it with GE Advantium 120. No problems with mounting as the GE comes with it's own mounting plate and very good directions. Getting rid of the Sharp was one of the best mods I've done on our coach...should have ordered the GE right from the start.
kellysrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 07:54 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

Many of us must have a different model of the Sharp microwaves. I have a baked potato setting on my front panel. In 2005 the Itasca may have came with a more deluxe model Sharp. Mine is stainless steel. Cooking instructions scroll across my LCD screen.

Neil, I had a 1994 Vectra 34RA with a conv/micro and it was great. I can't recall the brand.

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 12:27 PM   #20
Winnie-Wise

I am going to call Winnebago tomorrow as no one here, Sears, Lowes,Home Depot, Best Buy, sell the Sharp. In fact since most stoves have convection ovens, micro/convection hoods are in very short supply. Since we have to drive to FC anyway, we are hoping they will sell us one. We would have to rearrange the duct system and fan on the Advantium and I want a vented unit.