Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2015, 01:30 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Anyone do Factory Delivery at Winnebago, IA?

Okay, reading on some mfr forum threads that American Coach and Newmar will allow the customer to do a factory delivery & PDI (for an additional fee). Acknowledge the "sale, price negotiations etc" still made at the dealer for that mfr (and may not be closest to you, w/ internet search, recomendations by others they trust, etc).

We are wondering : 1) anyone on this list do Factory delivery & PDI actually at WBG/Forest City location? 2) other mfr mentioned above, will allow about 1 week at factory PDI/delivery process for new owner to get orientation by factory service techs &/or also fix anything else that shows up in customer's use of &/or orientation that week. IF the WBG factory delivery is an option, those who used it..please share how it went.

Thinking both knowledge of systems shared w/ new owner, ability to address anything that comes up is much better work quality and solved immediately rather than what many have experienced at dealer level. (For example, parts are immediately available and factory warranty issue approval immediately...both of which contribute to delays if items found after "taking delivery at dealership" .)

Thanks for everyone's feedback.
BeHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 02:37 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I'm not aware of Winnebago offering factory delivery. Purchase/pickup from Lichtsinn Motors (a mile or two from the factory in Forest City) may be the closest you'll get.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 03:20 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeHappy View Post
Okay, reading on some mfr forum threads that American Coach and Newmar will allow the customer to do a factory delivery & PDI (for an additional fee). Acknowledge the "sale, price negotiations etc" still made at the dealer for that mfr (and may not be closest to you, w/ internet search, recomendations by others they trust, etc).

We are wondering : 1) anyone on this list do Factory delivery & PDI actually at WBG/Forest City location? 2) other mfr mentioned above, will allow about 1 week at factory PDI/delivery process for new owner to get orientation by factory service techs &/or also fix anything else that shows up in customer's use of &/or orientation that week. IF the WBG factory delivery is an option, those who used it..please share how it went.

Thinking both knowledge of systems shared w/ new owner, ability to address anything that comes up is much better work quality and solved immediately rather than what many have experienced at dealer level. (For example, parts are immediately available and factory warranty issue approval immediately...both of which contribute to delays if items found after "taking delivery at dealership" .)

when I inquired about this a few years back I was told that Winny does not offer factory delivery.

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 05:52 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeHappy View Post

The factory deliveries are done through Lichtsinn RV, the Winnebago/Itasca dealership that is about a mile down the road from the Winnebago factory. Lichtsinn does the PDI and you can stay there overnight to get the feel for the motorhome.

Lichtsinn and Winnebago are totally customer service oriented so you won't leave Forest City dissatisfied. I've never heard a complaint from anyone who took their factory delivery at Lichtsinn.

Winnebago, Itasca, Era Motorhomes - Lichtsinn Motors Forest City, Iowa - RV Dealer
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 06:03 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeierl View Post
I'm not aware of Winnebago offering factory delivery. Purchase/pickup from Lichtsinn Motors (a mile or two from the factory in Forest City) may be the closest you'll get.
Our dealer was Lichtsinn. Winnebago does not do delivery. We really like Lichtsinn for a number of reasons and would purchase another unit from them.

We went back for a some warranty work. There was a leak around the hydraulic pump (leveling jacks) that I likely could have fixed but decided there could be a big downside if I stripped a connection while trying to tighten. While there the tech thought the jacks were making too much noise, the Lippert rep came over from the factory and concurred.

There were no jacks in the parts stock so Winnebago took the out of the production line. Jacks were replaced the next day and we were on the road.

Lichtsinn treated us like family. Winnebago is a star. We are totally pleased.
Old 03-22-2015, 10:58 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Lichtsinn is about your only option. They are fine folks as others have said.
We just picked up our new coach from them last week, and were able to have a very good walk through with the tech who was able to explain every little detail to us.

They did find a few minor problems during the PDI, and went out of their way to make sure that all was right before we left.

Chris

Murfreesboro TN
The Clock Meister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 06:59 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

The folks are right. We took delivery at Lichtsinn, then stayed there in the parking lot for 3 nights (holiday weekend). The walk through was great, and, they had prepped our coach to the point that NOTHING had to be repaired-so we left, Happily

Our Winnebago has 28K miles in 18 months of use, and, still no Coach problems. The Chasis has had one reprogramming Issue-done in 1 hour, in Eugene,Oregon

I change my own oil, I have had the Front end aligned once, and 2 Tire Rotations, I put in a new Headlight Bulb- and that is it!

I would be afraid to buy from anyone else, and afraid to buy anything but a Winnebago
Deny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 08:57 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

A friend of ours bought her motor home in California and took delivery in Forest City. She had to take delivery at the transport company, Bennett Motor Express I believe, in Forest City. She had previously bought from Lichtsinn, but wanted a better relationship with local dealer. She had to pay the same transportation cost as she would have in California. She was able to check it out and get warranty work and some add ons at the factory.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 02:07 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

We have purchased three "factory delivery" coaches though Lichtsinn. No problems, everything done to my satisfaction. Recommend highly.
mgtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 05:35 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Delivery through Lichtsinn in not a factory delivery, but purchase and delivery by the dealer closest to the factory.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 06:55 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hilley View Post
Delivery through Lichtsinn in not a factory delivery, but purchase and delivery by the dealer closest to the factory.
I agree. A coach purchased and delivered by Lichstinn is just that. They like to call it a factory delivery because of their proximity to the factory. If you purchase from another dealer don't expect to pick it up at the Lichstinn dealership or anywhere other than the dealership you purchase from or the place the selling dealer makes arrangements for you to pick it up.

We've purchased 2 Winnebago products. Both times it was an almost equal distance to the dealer or the factory. Both times we enquired as to whether we could pick it up at the factory. In both cases the factory personnel told us they do not do factory deliveries. If the dealer were willing to deliver the coach somewhere other than their lot it would be strictly between the customer and the dealer.
Old 03-24-2015, 05:20 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Many thanks to all those who took time to post

Though I admit to disappointment a true factory delivery is evidently not possible at WBG factory, I made note of the many kudos for Lightsinn and appreciate that feedback as well.

Safe travels to one & all.
BeHappy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winnebago