Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-02-2021, 06:41 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

anyone bought a factory demo?

we are buying our first RV. a 2020 Forza 38W from one of our local dealers. according to the dealer, it has been used by winnebago as a factory demo, as in they have taken it to different dealerships and used it to train sales people etc. it has 6k miles on it, but is being sold as new with full warranty. considering the RV market, particularly in N Texas, i feel we are getting a decent deal on the unit, with this likely being the reason. has anyone else bought one this way? my biggest concern is that again, according to the dealer, the unit does not have a service history they were able to track down.
kdaleb28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 11:17 PM   #2
Site Team

I don’t have an answer for you. But if I’ve learned anything it is to not believe anything a dealer says without proof. I was going to say don’t trust anything a dealer says... period. But softened just a bit.

Get the VIN or serial number and call Winnebago.
Old 02-03-2021, 04:57 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

If so, so be it! I would however give Winnebago a call and see what they have to say about the warranty. I would also have the dealer change all of the fluids and filters as you stated no service records, that would give you a starting point. As for the warranty on the appliances (all stuff other than chassis) you have to make sure you are the first owner as those warranties are non transferable.

Have them show you a carfax report also. With all being said if you like the coach and you feel you are getting a good deal why not go for it.
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 06:38 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Good idea. I will try and call them today.
Old 02-03-2021, 06:45 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
I don’t have an answer for you. But if I’ve learned anything it is to not believe anything a dealer says without proof. I was going to say don’t trust anything a dealer says... period. But softened just a bit.

Get the VIN or serial number and call Winnebago.
Good idea. I will call them today thank you
Old 02-03-2021, 06:46 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by be happy View Post
If so, so be it! I would however give Winnebago a call and see what they have to say about the warranty. I would also have the dealer change all of the fluids and filters as you stated no service records, that would give you a starting point. As for the warranty on the appliances (all stuff other than chassis) you have to make sure you are the first owner as those warranties are non transferable.

Have them show you a carfax report also. With all being said if you like the coach and you feel you are getting a good deal why not go for it.
Yeah all my paperwork says new seller is Winnebago etc. trying to get them to do oil change/ fluids for free, we’ll see about that. Thank you for your advice
Old 02-07-2021, 08:20 PM   #7

We bought 2017 Minnie-Winnie 25B in 2018 in Ottawa Canada from the dealer. It had less than 5,000 miles on it. There were a few signs of wear, like someone repeatedly lowered and raised the table. The Ford's engine compartment was spotless. Cummins registered the generator and gave it a tune-up. They warned us that all the appliances should be registered separately. We had it serviced by the dealer after a 3 month, 11,000 mile trip to the Arctic Ocean. On that trip we realized that not all the under-storage had been caulked, the house batteries were done, ducts weren't connected and a bunch of screws needed tightening. So, look it over really closely. Make sure the gas appliances have been inspected and turn everything on before buying. In spite of that, we still like it.
Jos 56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 08:54 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

You have to ask yourself does it not have service records because they're hiding something or just didn't do any service. Your smart having them change the filters make sure they do all of them including the fuel water separator, air filter, etc. Also do the water filter and all the generator filters. If you decide to go through with it make sure you do a thorough PDI. Don't let them tell you that can't do something. Running the water pump, electric toilet, HW heater. ACs and heat pump on them. Awnings and if so equipped the wind sensors on it verify it works. Check the awning for any separation, look underneath for any leaks. Run everything and I mean everything and not just for a minute or two. Run using shore power, generator and batteries all separately. Take it on a nice long ride first see how it handles. Run the dashboard heater and AC. Check radio with Bluetooth. IMHO it would've seen more abuse because those that drove it and use it didn't own it. I'd compare it to rental cars. A lot have more abuse because people feel since they don't own it they don't care as much. Oh yeah check the roof and grease the chassis. Just a few things that pop into my head
1237dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 09:10 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jos 56 View Post
We bought 2017 Minnie-Winnie 25B in 2018 in Ottawa Canada from the dealer. It had less than 5,000 miles on it. There were a few signs of wear, like someone repeatedly lowered and raised the table. The Ford's engine compartment was spotless. Cummins registered the generator and gave it a tune-up. They warned us that all the appliances should be registered separately. We had it serviced by the dealer after a 3 month, 11,000 mile trip to the Arctic Ocean. On that trip we realized that not all the under-storage had been caulked, the house batteries were done, ducts weren't connected and a bunch of screws needed tightening. So, look it over really closely. Make sure the gas appliances have been inspected and turn everything on before buying. In spite of that, we still like it.
That trip sounds amazing. Thank you for the advice. We take delivery tomorrow and having never owned any sort of RV I’m going to do my best to be thorough, let’s see how this goes 😂
Old 02-08-2021, 03:11 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Our experience was remotely similar to yours. We bought a "used" 2016 Minnie Winnie from a dealer that specialized in renting motorhomes to tourists in Alaska. They bought new Winnebagos specially built for the rental market, rented them in the summertime for three seasons, then pulled them out of the fleet, spruced them up, and sold them for about 60% of their original cost.

We bought one because even though it was two model years old with about 38,000 miles, it was nearly like brand new in appearance and operation. We have since put around 20,000 more miles on it, including two round trips from Alaska to Indiana and back, and its still in great condition.

We might have been extremely lucky, but given the need and opportunity, we'd gladly do that again.
Old 02-08-2021, 08:28 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Once you find out what Winnebago says about the factory demo story, it comes down to the semi-used issue. If you read this blog for a while, you'll start to get the picture that owners of Brand New units, are also their Quality Control Testers. And that they find all sorts of issues you'd think should have never made it out the door. And these problems result inconvenient lost usage, and sometimes taking it to a place some distance from you to get the work done. Some have said they'd think of buying a used unit that's already gone through this teething process. Hopefully this demo usage time resolved some of these problems.
Rick 99037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 07:46 AM   #12
JBP
Winnie-Wise

One other point is your roof warranty is good only to the first owner. Make sure that Winnebago agrees that you are the first owner.
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 08:05 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Assuming they are giving you a "used rv price" it sounds like a no-brainer to me. My car mechanic of 20 years has always advised me to not buy cars new, rationalizing to let the first owner work through all the recalls and bugs. I wouldn't think a trainer would want to take a demo on the road that had issues going. As I see it, again for the right price, the bugs should be worked out of this thing. Of course, I'll advice on looking it over and testing everything out is essential. Good luck!
KeithB is offline   Reply With Quote