Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2007, 02:43 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I am a full timer and I work in a small town that only has one service center for Winnebago Motorhomes. I tried to get my motorhome repaired today for warranty repairs which consist of heat pump/gas pump to the roof buckling. They told me that they need it overnight basically several nights. I told them that I need it everynight since I am currently using it as my home. After I have left to go to work, I get a phone call to tell me to pickup the motorhome the company refuses to repair due to not being able to keep it overnight. I call Winnebago Industries which he could not understand why the service company is unable to return the motorhome at night. I signed all the documents stating that everything was my responsibility for damages ect. I ask Why? Winnebago Industries made a call to them and the same answer. These are the people who are selling and servicing your motorhomes. When I go pick up the motorhome, the general manager comes out which I requested documentation that states that his company refused service. He refused. I told him that I am not moving until I receive some type of documentation. He called the police. I received my documentation by the police report. Why is Winnebago Industries standing by these type of service centers and why am I not able to get reimbursed for a hotel room when the type of repairs that I have make this motorhome unfit to live in specially this time of year when it freezes and I don't have any heat? I have only been in this motorhome for 4 weeks and I have over 22 warranty repairs that are need to be fixed including the roof which is buckling and not normal.
TXDrifter165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 02:43 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I am a full timer and I work in a small town that only has one service center for Winnebago Motorhomes. I tried to get my motorhome repaired today for warranty repairs which consist of heat pump/gas pump to the roof buckling. They told me that they need it overnight basically several nights. I told them that I need it everynight since I am currently using it as my home. After I have left to go to work, I get a phone call to tell me to pickup the motorhome the company refuses to repair due to not being able to keep it overnight. I call Winnebago Industries which he could not understand why the service company is unable to return the motorhome at night. I signed all the documents stating that everything was my responsibility for damages ect. I ask Why? Winnebago Industries made a call to them and the same answer. These are the people who are selling and servicing your motorhomes. When I go pick up the motorhome, the general manager comes out which I requested documentation that states that his company refused service. He refused. I told him that I am not moving until I receive some type of documentation. He called the police. I received my documentation by the police report. Why is Winnebago Industries standing by these type of service centers and why am I not able to get reimbursed for a hotel room when the type of repairs that I have make this motorhome unfit to live in specially this time of year when it freezes and I don't have any heat? I have only been in this motorhome for 4 weeks and I have over 22 warranty repairs that are need to be fixed including the roof which is buckling and not normal.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:56 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

TX - I'm not sure I follow the whole documentation issue you ran into. I would decline to take responsiblity while the coach is in their possesion, if they want to do a walk around and inspect for damage before that's fine. I have learned from others that taking digital photos before leaving it is a good idea too. The tough part is I am pretty sure Winnebago doesn't sell any of their rigs to be full time living quarters. They maybe used that way, but asking Winnebago or anyone to pay for your housing seems a bit unfair - I don't think any manufacturer would be willing to do that.

It would seem reasonable for them to look over the issues, then order parts. Then have you come back in for service when all of those items can be repaired at one time, even if it takes 2-3 days.

Good luck working with Winnebago to find another nearby dealer, I sure wouldn't go back to that one.
Y-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 03:32 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I have had to leave my rig overnight a few times depending on the type of repair being done ...never got an offer to cover any lodging costs. We normally have done that where we could stay with family or friends.

Some dealers have hookups out back and have been very helpful in getting the rig back to us at night and we take it back to the svc dept first thing in the am (tough for the wife as she stays up late and wants to sleep late). Other dealers don't have hookups, and don't seem to have a clue... We try to pick and choose those dealers who DO have a clue!
Old 01-08-2007, 03:49 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Well at least you have a dealer nearby. I bought my coach from a dealer 180 miles away. I had 105 issues in the first year. I would fax them a list telling them exactly what the problems were and then make an appointment. I would drive the 180 miles unhook the toad and drive home. A week later they had not even looked at it. What is the point of an appointment? Then after they looked at it they would have to order parts. 3 week after I dropped it off I would go and pick it up. Half the items would be undone and they would be scambling to get the other half done evan though the knew when I was coming. In the first 8 months I had the MH it was at a repair place 5 months. Winnebago customer service was no help at all offering to expidite any parts I might need. Half the time the parts were backordered. Here are some examples. The air horns worked intermittantly-dealer replaces solonoid (3 times)and last time I left dealer it was still not working. I traced wiring back to an electrical relay in circuit braker area under drivers area. Relay was corroded, horns now work fine. Oh yes this is the same area I had to drill holes in the bottom to allow water to drain out. Found out about this by loosing my turn signals. Found compartment with about a inch of water in it and both turn signal and emergency flasher swimming in it.
How about remote door and compartment locks not working. Dealer repairs 3 times and after trying another dealer, who said nothing was wrong with them, I give up. Sometimes the door lock locks compartments or unlocks compartments and visa-versa. I could go on all night..........
Old 01-08-2007, 05:01 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

They want to keep your coach overnight for several days for their convenience. Turning the coach over to you every afternoon will be a hassle for them or embarrassing when you realize nothing has been accomplished.

We have run into the same parts BS with a dealer where you have to wait a few days for your appointment to come up and THEN they find a part (very obviously defective in a couple of situations) that needs to be ordered. Absolutely frustrating and the result of a very poor work process.

My recommendation is to call Winnie factory service and discuss the problem with them and see if there are any other options for you - maybe they will authorize a generic RV repair service that is more accommodating.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 05:17 PM   #7
Foz
Winnebago Camper

Our local dealer is just as bad. We recently had a HWH issue & Dan from HWH recommended Gayle Klein RV in lancaster, PA. They have hookups at the service area, no problem letting me stay in the coach at night, offered to provide me a ride to get dinner.

They let me go into service area & check the coach, explained where they were on repairs. Absolutely the best dealer I've been to.

Mind you I took off time from work to go there. I am a little worried about availability as I will begin living in our coach fulltime in February.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:30 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

This seems to be another example of the lousy service offered by Winnebago dealers.

We had to have a couple of issues taken care of last year from the dealer we bought our RV from (warranty issues). When I called to make an appointment I was given a date and time 3 weeks later. I turned up at that time only to find out (later) that my "appointment" was only to drop the unit off and fill in the paperwork. Two weeks later, they hadn't even looked at my RV. After a lot of phone calls, rude treatment from the service manager etc. I picked up my rig only to find later that the work was done incorrectly and I still have problems. I intend to do the work myself from now on whenever possible, even if it should be done under warranty.

Winnebago needs to have a serious look at the service departments of their dealers. I'm sure that the lousy service that a lot of us apparently get after a sale must hurt their bottom line.

It seems that the saleman's pitch that they value us as a customer ends as soon as the check clears.

Jeep Wrangler
Gary the Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 08:05 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

I hear the horror stories of bad dealerships so often, makes me happy I've had a great dealer. I've purchased 2 trailers and now the Sightseer from them. I guess its the difference of getting to know them and researching them before I made my first purchase. Price is important to me but service is just as important.

I hope you get your issues resolved soon.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:28 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Well, its not that I did not investige prior to my purchase. It does not matter where you buy it from, what matters that the manufacture stands by the consumer and assists to make sure repairs are completed as part of the contract of warranty repairs. They need to make these service repair facilities accountable. If a company wants to pick and choose Winnebago customers then why are they selling and servicing Winnebago motorhomes. Pull their contract, specially where I am, I know the company is not selling as many as it repairs. Majority of the dealers assist with full-timers even provide a space or campground to stay at. Why are the ones that refuse service, Winnebago stand by them? Parts have to be ordered which takes about 5 days, that is only after they get the motorhome in the shop. It is not like my warranty repairs are small. No heat and the roof is buckling seems to me all major repairs. No priority no service.....Gary you are in my part of the world. You know this dealership/service department in Petaluma, CA
Old 01-10-2007, 08:51 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Here is another policy that gets my duff. We only service 3 warranty items per visit due to not being the selling dealer. Isn't a warranty by the manufacture a contract, doesn't it read that I can go to my nearest dealer or to the authorized dealer? Then why are the dealers setting these types of policies? There must a change of enforcement if the manufacturer is not going to enforce then I guess people like myself will have to spend all of our money in the court system to get things done since our state and federal government is not enforcing any laws of the Fair Trade Act.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:41 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

YO TX165, No, you are not the only one to run into the Winny non-warranty by THEIR dealers issue. If the issue does not affect sales, Winney could care less. I ran into the same issue (as have many, many others) and all Winnebago could do was offer sympathy. Needless to say, that didn't get the rv fixed. Really not much you can do except find another maint facility. I propose that this web site maintain a list of dealers that does not provide warranty service to non buyers. By publishing this list all members of this outstanding forum will know which dealers are friendly and those who are not. When it comes time to purchase another rig the consumer can check this site and automatically rule out those dealers that made the list. At the same time another list could be maintained pointing out those dealers who provide warranty service to non buyers. Prospective buyers would probably be very interested in this list. I would be happy to start the list with names of dealerships in both columns if the site moderators think it would be useful. How bout it??

07 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 03:24 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

http://rvservicereviews.com/Index.asp
This is one of the sites that are working on this issue. I really appreciate the feedback you gave me. My concern is keeping it honest and within integrity due to the fact that the administer did not want to post my concern with 2 dealers because I did not have service performed but with people like yourself can complain and have him hold the line. If any rv owner tried to gain warranty peformance work from a dealer and was denied or had policies like 3 warranty repairs per visit, the RV citizens like us have a right to know. When I posted the msg, I noted no service performed but was denied by a rude general manager. I did not even register Village RV for their ridiculous policy as 3 warranty items per service due to setting the administartor straight on honesty and integrity issue. If he does not hold the line, then his site is useless and it prejiduce as the dealers themselves.
By the way, as long as a Winnebago symbol is on this site, honesty and integrity is lost. This site is part of the Winnebago Industry realm. I would not trust this site based on puchasing a motorhome. Only base on sites that are not within the realm of all RV manufacturers. They have conttrol of what information that is allowed and not allowed which is my part of integrity. Sorry, your better off producing your own site. There is nothing wrong with advertising as long as it is within the realm of not showing favortism or prejudice.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:17 AM   #14
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TXDrifter165:
By the way, as long as a Winnebago symbol is on this site, honesty and integrity is lost. This site is part of the Winnebago Industry realm. I would not trust this site based on puchasing a motorhome. Only base on sites that are not within the realm of all RV manufacturers. They have conttrol of what information that is allowed and not allowed which is my part of integrity. Sorry, your better off producing your own site. There is nothing wrong with advertising as long as it is within the realm of not showing favortism or prejudice. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

TxDrifter165, Let me assure you that NO manufacturer has EVER told me what they wanted posted on this site. I would not accept those parameters as part of an advertising agreement.
In fact,I've been told by SEVERAL manufacturers of which Winnebago was one of,that they understand there will be both good and bad posts in these forums.
We welcome your participation in these forums...
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 08:31 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

There is a lot of good stuff in these forums - and I have used a lot of it myself. Thanks for all those who contribute.
CWHTRAINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 10:33 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

TxDrifter, I have been on this forum since 2003.
The integrity of its members and its desire to help RV owners with their problems is beyond reproach. I can sympathize with your ordeals with your coach but to question this forum because of them is unthinkable. There is not a member of this forum that would hesitate to answer questions or help a fellow Rver in anyway they could. While they may not be able to solve all problems their willingness to help is second to none. There is a saying that has been around way before my time that "you get more flies with honey than you do with vinegar."
This site is not used to blast individual dealers only to gain help where help can be given. Good Miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 10:45 AM   #17
Winnie-Wise

Was I the only one that read TxDrifter's message as being directed at rvservicereviews.com and not this site?
Old 01-11-2007, 10:49 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

YGUY If you reread the post you will see it is directed at this site. Good miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 11:25 AM   #19
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Y-Guy:
Was I the only one that read TxDrifter's message as being directed at rvservicereviews.com and not this site? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Having visited rvservicereviews I can assure you there is no Winnebago sponsorship or trademark on that site.
As I referenced the comments above,it was obvious to me the gentleman was making a reference to iRV2.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 05:07 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Uhmmm? I wonder if I hit a nerve with my previous comment? I don't know about majority of the people on this site in particular but what I have seen is the majority of the people who had problems right after the purchase of their motorhome. Majority of the people also are hard working, honest and very respectable. I respect and honor that. My point is, if this is an honest, respectable, and an integrible forum, why are we not fighting the manufacturers to be accountable on issues as: quality control, accountability, and integrity. Why is it everytime people just turn away and say this is just normal. I am not a lawyer, politician, or anything alike. I am just like you and I am very angry. Here, I will give you an example of what I see is happening. This coach that I bought costs as much as the house I bought in Texas. Its the only thing that is left AMERICAN MADE. Car manufacturers started treating us consumers the same way and we told them where to go and we bought foriegn cars. Is this what you want? We need to stand up, get this government off of its *ss and start complaining through the channels. These forums are not changing anything, have you seen the 2007 RV's, I have and I am in one. It will get worse before it will get better. My parents bought RV's and all of them we had were great, no problems, in fact I don't ever remmember my father taking our RV to the dealer for warranty work. American's build with integrity, loyalty, and accountability. Now, you have the opportunity to speak up with writing letters to your politicians, your attorney generals, and consumer protection agencies about this growing problem. The issues that should have been taken care of before you received your motorhome. You and I can make a difference instead of writing on a forum about our frustrations. Yes, I am frustrated, but I am taking it to the manufacturers, dealers, and politicians. You and I work to dang hard for our money not to. I took 3 years to investigate the manufactures of Class A motorhomes did it matter, NO. With you and I getting together complaining and making a wave together, this will continue and I will not be a part of it. I will speak up so that the next American citizen does not have to put up with these issues. It is my duty. Oh, by the way, I was talking about both sites.