Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2010, 08:11 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Almost thrown out of the seat...

I drove the coach from the storage yard to our house. This is only a one mile trip. The coach drove fine. We loaded the coach for a weekend trip. I wanted to take it back to storage yard for the evening. I could tell something was drastically wrong before I reached the end of the block. Any little ripple in the asphalt caused the coach to bounce up and down so violently that I had to hang on to the steering wheel to avoid being thrown out of the seat. I mean, "just a ripple or bump in the asphalt!" I decided to limp back to the storage yard, driving no faster than 5-10 miles per hour. I made it there, but it bounced like crazy. I only have 7,000 miles on the coach. This is a "new to us coach." and this was to be our FIRST outing. During the trip to the storage yard, the dash display periodically showed a black engine with a white exclamation point. It did not stay on all the time. There was also a red clock like symbol with an arrow pointing at what would be eleven o'clock.

I found the explanation for the black engine symbol with the white exclamation point in my manual. It means something is wrong with the engine and it will start flashing before the engine shuts down. It never flashed and it never stayed on steady. I cannot find any explanation for the red clock like symbol in my manuals.

I could see nothing wrong under the coach. It was getting dark so I postponed having it towed until the morning. What would an engine problem have to do with the coach violently bouncing? I could see nothing wrong under the coach.

Any ideas what would cause this bouncing and engine problem warning message?
Old 02-04-2010, 08:29 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Sounds like the air bags were not aired up. I have moved my rig in and out of my shop with out air in the bags and it is real rough with out air. So if you leveled the rig the bags will deflat and you will need to hit the run [rabbit] button on the leveler pad to air the bags up. Hope this helps.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:58 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I think you are on to something...but?

Quote:
Originally Posted by autofish View Post
Sounds like the air bags were not aired up. I have moved my rig in and out of my shop with out air in the bags and it is real rough with out air. So if you leveled the rig the bags will deflat and you will need to hit the run [rabbit] button on the leveler pad to air the bags up. Hope this helps.
When I was parked at my house, I did lift the curb side of the coach to keep the steps from bottoming out. When I was ready to leave, I hit the "all up" button and when the jacks were up I left. The engine had been running during this time. When I pulled over on the way to the storage yard, I was checking underneath and the coach DID SEEM LOW, now that I think about it! I don't know what the "run" button is. I am looking at the Kwikee Hydraulic Leveler Manual as I type this. I can't find anything like "run". I had used the manual mode for the curb side only. I think you are on to something, but I am still confused. What do I do after I hit the "all up" and check under the coach and find that they ARE up???
Old 02-04-2010, 10:07 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

I think autofish is referring to your airbags, not the jacks. Make sure both are in proper driving order--jacks up, airbags inflated.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:46 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLori View Post
I think autofish is referring to your airbags, not the jacks. Make sure both are in proper driving order--jacks up, airbags inflated.
When I pulled over on the way to the storage yard I noticed that the coach WAS VERY LOW, so it is likely that the air bags were not filled. What can cause this and what can I do about it? I assume that I have to have it towed to the dealer.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:09 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

First outing a bust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post
When I pulled over on the way to the storage yard I noticed that the coach WAS VERY LOW, so it is likely that the air bags were not filled. What can cause this and what can I do about it? I assume that I have to have it towed to the dealer.
Is there something that I can try before calling for a tow? I am handicapped so I can't do anything physical. Is there a control/switch somewhere that I should be looking for? Our first outing in this "new to us" coach is a bust!
Old 02-05-2010, 01:52 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Hi Az.

Start the engine and set a higher idle, say 900 RPM if you can. Then on the HWH control, first turn it on, and then hit the ‘store’ button. Let the HWH control time out and turn its self off. This should take 2 to 3 minutes after all jacks are retracted (red lights out). Wait until the air pressure is up to the point that the air drier makes the ‘psheeee’ sound. Check outside the coach to see if the air bags have inflated. If they have, you should be good to go. At least this will take care of the severe bouncing.

As to the engine diagnostics, there may or may not be a problem. It could be that the error was indicating that the air pressure never reached the proper pressure. This could happen if the dump valve was still open but would probably reach the 65-PSI required to release the air brakes.

If this works, you’re on the road. If not, then it’s time for Freightliner to have a look.
Old 02-05-2010, 02:45 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

In the past I have somehow occassionally confused my HWH system and the air bags will not inflate properly. I used the following proceedure which is similar to what Mr Transister stated. This is for an HWH system. Other systems may have different indicators.

1) turn on the leveling system
2) press the store button
3) wait for the green "travel" light to illuminate
4) turn off the HWH system
5) start the engine
6) increase the idle speed (hit the fast idle sequence) and wait for the air bags to inflate.

This proceedure works for me and is slightly different from the Mr. Xister proceedure as I do not have to wait for the HWH to time out. That time out is a short time when leveling, but otherwise would be a very,very long time.

I don't know if this is true but I have been told not to drive the coach with the air bags deflated as this could damage the air bags as they could be pinched or punctured. Per chance someone else could verify this because if this is true then you would not want to have the coach towed until the bags are inflated properly.

SImilar to what was already said, I have moved my rig a very short distance and very slowly with the bags deflated, but only slowly and for a short distance.
Roadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 08:15 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Just in case, since this coach is new to you, the fast idle sequence is:

Start engine, let run for a minute or so
Turn Cruise Control "on"
Hit the CC "Set" button once

This will raise your idle to ~900-1000

Do not try to put tranny in gear while in high idle(it will not let you anyway, just will flash your tranny display), hit the CC cancel button, or tap brake, to bring idle back down first.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:08 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

The OP said " I am looking at the Kwikee Hydraulic Leveler Manual as I type this", I don't think he has the HWH system, but the Kwikee jacks.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 09:31 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

could be the brain in the leveler system needs a reboot; figure out which battery bank it is on (probably chassis) and shut off that battery bank, then turn it back on. Might cure a brain fart.
Old 02-05-2010, 04:50 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Air bags tested today...

Today I went to the RV storage yard thinking that I might have to have the coach towed to the dealer. Considering that yesterday's troubles started after leveling the coach, I decided to level again and then retract and see what happens. I have two places with leveler controls. Near the entrance door and in the power cord bay. With the engine running, I used the bay controls. There are two controls, level and store. I hit the level button and then it is automatic. When it was done, I hit the store button. I checked the dash and found that the air pressure was about 100. The coach body had elevated from 14 inches to 18 inches. I took it for a test ride and it was back to normal. No bouncing. The dash displayed an amber check engine light only when stopped at some traffic signals. As soon as I applied the accelerator , the light went out. This display only came on for a few seconds and not at every stop.

The dealer suggested I check all fluids which I did. Everything was fine. He felt that it was OK to use the coach unless the check engine light came on and stayed on. I have a couple of things for the dealer to correct so he will do a thorough check when I go in next time.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:03 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via ICQ to W8RLM
I'd go to a Cummins dealer and let him put his diagnostic meter read out the error codes that caused the Check Engine light to come on. I have a Cat engine in mine, and the warranty is three years, so you may well be in the warranty period.

I just had a trip from Cleveland to Knoxville and had continual Check Engine problems. Turned out is was biodiesel and gelling problems.

Cummins can tell you why it is coming on. If I'm not mistaken, the Latitude with a diesel has a Freightliner chassis, so that may be another source for help.

Good Luck

W8RLM - Bob
Old 02-05-2010, 09:01 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

I had this same exact experience in my 2008 Destination shortly after I got it. I had extended my jacks in the driveway, and when I extracted them and drove off, the movement was violent. I pulled over and called the RV Dealer and spoke with the Service Manager. He said it sounded like a relay had not activated and most likely the air bags did not get air. He said to extend the jacks as far as possible and then retract them and see what happens. Everything was normal after that. I did check the fluid in the jack reservoir after that and it was a little low. I have never had the problem reoccur.

My Destination is the 39W also. Most likely everything we have is the same except the decor in the interior. Itasca is a little more "elegant." (So I've heard)
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 11:31 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

I too have had the check engine light, light up briefly, very intermittent. I have had the Cummins people check for codes twice, with none being logged.

Mine usually happened after a long highway run, then onto city streets, stopped at a light it would come on, and go out when moving again. Mine's a Cummins ISC 350 w/ a Banks kit.

So far it is just a mystery.

Glad your airbags came up again, btw.
Old 02-06-2010, 03:46 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Mc Duff and some of you other guys. Check your coolant expansion tank levels. I had a similar issue with intermitant engine light going on and off. It ended up being the level in the coolant tank. There is a low level sensor in the coolant tank.......
Raca-roni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 04:11 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

I wonder if chassis feedback from low or no air in bags reads on the engine's computer as abnormal combustion. I don't know of any sensor for diesel ignition per say, but the ECU does make a calculation for torque provide, and perhaps jack hammering back thru the drive train farts up the speed sensor input to mess up such calculations and set the MIL?
Old 02-07-2010, 11:31 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

Though It appears others are addressing the issue with teh coach........

Kind of hard to throw someone out of a seat if they are seat-bealted in.
Old 02-15-2010, 03:36 PM   #19
Winnie-Wise

Coach goes in Wednesday...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raca-roni View Post
Mc Duff and some of you other guys. Check your coolant expansion tank levels. I had a similar issue with intermittent engine light going on and off. It ended up being the level in the coolant tank. There is a low level sensor in the coolant tank.......
Coolant level is fine. The coach is scheduled to go to the shop on Wednesday, the 17th of February, for a couple of items, one of which is the intermittent "check Engine" display. I'll report the results. Joe
Old 02-15-2010, 11:04 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

Are you sure it was the check engine light or low air light, both on the same panel. I have had this situation where the synchronization gets screwed up the the levelers (and yes, it will toss you out of the seat) and the airbag dump valve never closes, you can hear it if you know what you're listening for when the engine is running).

Start the engine and do a full leveling cycle. If that (hopefully) works, do a stow and see if things behave.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote