Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2019, 07:00 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Question Air conditioner question

Good morning. My husband and I are taking our new Minnie out for a weekend trip this coming weekend. We just got the trailer back after finding significant water damage. This weekend is supposed to be brutal as far as the heat and I would like to make sure the air is in good working order before we take it out. We were told not to try to run the air while hooked up to an adapter and extension cord at home. If our battery is fully charged will the air run long enough to make sure everything is working properly. I’m sorry if this sounds like a dumb question but this is our first R.V. and a lot of it falls on me to handle due to health issues my hubby has.

Thanks for any input!

Melinda
melcdreyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 07:10 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

No dumb questions here.

Your AC will not run off the batteries.

I don't know why you couldn't run the AC off of an extension cord/adapter connected to a 15 amp outlet at your house. I do this all the time.
Old 07-15-2019, 07:55 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

It shouldn’t be a problem to run like that. I wouldn’t turn in the microwave or fridge, though.
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 08:55 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Several things to consider before deciding. One is the size of the air cond. as some pull more power, second is the extension cord as they come in different size wire, some usable, some worthless. IF it seems close to working on a cord, the length of that cord is also a primary factor as longer means more resistance, meaning less likely to work.
Where and how is this test to be done? If it at your house and not too many others around, you may get away with a cord but if there are kids around or somebody steps on the cord while it is overheating, it can get BAD in a hurry. People can get hurt or killed so don't press it if all the small points are not well understood.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 03:36 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

You should be ok. I would however go and get a heavy duty extension cord. If you can find a 10 Gage would be great.
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 08:21 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Update

Thank all of you for your responses. I decided to give it a try but I did opt for a new heavy duty extension cord. The air works! Yippee!!!

Look out New Jersey! Mama’s on the road this weekend!
melcdreyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioner