Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-10-2021, 04:30 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Air Ambulance Insurance

Anyone here that has this kind of insurance? Something like SkyMed or the like? We have always had a policy with a company called "Airlift NW" which covers us in the state of Washington, but now that we plan to go further afield, I'd like to hear about other's experiences with similar companies.
Seattle Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 07:34 PM   #2

Last summer I bought Good Sam's Travel Assist insurance for only $29/yr and I really don't know if I can count on premium service in the event I have a heart attack on the road and need to be air-lifted to a hospital? ...And get this, Good Sam is supposed to even send a driver to pick-up my RV and return it (at no expense to me) back to my home or where I store the RV.

It all sounds too good to believe for just $29, but I went for it anyway... believing in "Good Sam" and thinking they can only offer this price, because they have 100,000+ customers.

So if anyone has a testimonial about Good Sam's Travel Assist program, for use anywhere in the world, please share your experiences.

Note: For $79 you can add Good Sam's RV Towing coverage that is supposed to tow you a qualified diesel repair facility no matter how many miles away that may be. ...But again, it would be good to know Good Sam will in fact not charge you in the event you need a tow.

I also use The Hartford for my RV full coverage insurance and I have used their towing and roadside assistance. They do a pretty good job and I do recommend The Hartford for RV Insurance, but they do not offer a travel assist product that I know of.
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 09:05 PM   #3

I visited Good Sam's TravelAsist website and I now see they charge $59/year, so maybe that's what I paid? I can't remember.

Here's a summary of what they cover:

https://www.goodsamtravelassist.com/compare.aspx

...But I still don't know how much help Good Sam will be in the event of an emergency?

Here's a comment I found on www.irv2:

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/good...od-412249.html

That plan is designed for medical transportation back HOME, or to a long term facility, not for emergency transportation between a primary care facility and a higher level care facility.

and...

The fine print in contracts are written by lawyers to protect the originator of the contract. They make it in fine print just because most people don't read it.

I have to call my insurance people within 24 hours of getting admitted to a hospital or they won't pay. Unless I'm unconscious or someone else can't call for me - I notify them.

From the Good Sam Travel Assist summary plan description. Page 2, left hand column about half way down.

"MEDICAL EVACUATION AND REPATRIATION SERVICES
TRAVELASSIST must arrange and WE must approve all arrangements for the
services described and defined in this section to be covered at no cost to
YOU.

*Expenses incurred without our intervention or assistance are not covered."

Seems pretty plain to me. Good Sam Travel Assist did exactly what they were obligated and contracted to do. I know the OP doesn't like that but sometimes it helps to read contracts before the fact.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Good Sam Travel Assist Coverage Chart.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	262.9 KB
ID:	176793  
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 03:41 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

We have use Allianz Travel Insurance's Executive Plan which provides full coverage for a year of travel anywhere in the world. At this time air evac insurance is worthless as with the hospitals overflowing with people infected with the coronavirus coming in by helicopter does not insure they will admit or treat you for any injury. Situation should be better in 2023.
Elkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 09:35 AM   #5
JBP
Winnie-Wise

we have had Good Sam Travel Assit for 10 years now never had to use it. thank goodness. But the road side and extend service with tire protection all worked well. Used these services several times. Big company hope we never need it.
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 04:14 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

I have carried Air Med for a few years now and 18 months ago had a terrible accident which required a flight for life. The bill was in the neighborhood of $84K and they took care of the entire bill. Awesome customer service.

James and P'Nut
2011 Itasca Sunova 33C
Walden, CO
PapaJ1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 04:21 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle Dave View Post
Anyone here that has this kind of insurance? Something like SkyMed or the like? We have always had a policy with a company called "Airlift NW" which covers us in the state of Washington, but now that we plan to go further afield, I'd like to hear about other's experiences with similar companies.
Check family motorcoach association.

Www.fmca.com
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 04:45 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

We have SkyMed.
Old 01-20-2021, 06:34 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I have SkyMed, it’s $45 a month. The reason I went with them is, if I have to be air evaced I don’t need to get permission first. This seems like a no-brainer, but when I checked around others tell you that you must get permission first! Doesn’t make sense to me for either air or ground, but there it is, something to definitely find out before you buy. Other than that they offer the whole monty, including retrieval of your vehicle(s) and other passengers if necessary.
mitchoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 07:16 PM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

If you join fmca it’s included
gimmy is offline   Reply With Quote