Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2008, 04:48 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I just purchased a used Winnebago Aspect (2005: 26') with 14,500 miles on it. The generater has 35 hours recorded. The coach is in excellent condition, looks and operates like new in fact. I am considering buying an extended service plan (ESP) thru Good Sam Club. The cost is about $700/yr. My question is simply what is the repair history of Winnebago? Am I looking at a pretty reliable product or will I need the protection of the ESP? In the past, I've been a Toyota owner and have not seen the need for an extended warranty. However, I'm not that familiar with the quality of Winnebago. I'm not particularly concerned with the chasis (Ford E450)but with the rest of the coach. Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated
Old 05-02-2008, 04:48 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I just purchased a used Winnebago Aspect (2005: 26') with 14,500 miles on it. The generater has 35 hours recorded. The coach is in excellent condition, looks and operates like new in fact. I am considering buying an extended service plan (ESP) thru Good Sam Club. The cost is about $700/yr. My question is simply what is the repair history of Winnebago? Am I looking at a pretty reliable product or will I need the protection of the ESP? In the past, I've been a Toyota owner and have not seen the need for an extended warranty. However, I'm not that familiar with the quality of Winnebago. I'm not particularly concerned with the chasis (Ford E450)but with the rest of the coach. Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated
Old 05-02-2008, 04:56 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I have that plan for mine. I figure that if something major goes out, it will pay for itself. This has 40K on it and runs well. I just like the security of knowing that if I blow an engine or tranny, my out of pocket will be $250 instead of my life savings
Old 05-02-2008, 05:11 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I also have the ESP from Good Sam. Thankfully have not had the need to use it but anything can happen. Remember it is not so much the coach manufacturer that is at any fault for a component failure. Check out the unit and you will find every system is a different manufacturer.
lthrnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 06:12 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

IBHIPRU2?

There is such a thing as under-use -- 35 hr on the generator in 3 years is absolute minimum use just to keep it running properly! The generator should be exercised under 1/2 load at least 1 hr per month to keep it working, both the engine and the generator functions.

Winnebago's reputation in the industry is much higher than most mfg's, but things can still go wrong. We don't have an extended warranty ...have bought only one (on a used car) in my life. The people who sell extended warranties do so because they take in more $$ than they pay out. We just decided it probably wasn't work our cost, and we budget $250 a month toward repairs/service/tire replacement to "insure ouselves." If you do buy one, you need to be very sure of what it covers and doesn't cover. Some people swear by them, others swear at them when they won't cover problems that come up.
Old 05-02-2008, 08:37 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

We did not get one for our Minnie when it was brand new. Still runs great. All systems are go. That was almost 6 years ago.

We got one for our Sightseer at the beginning. We cancelled it within a few months and banked the money. So far so good.

Both our Winnebagos have been meeting our expectations.

Relax, drive safely, and enjoy God's creations.

2006 Sightseer 33T, W18, 8.1L
mis3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 03:01 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

We got the extended service policy that Good Sam offers. The main reason for getting it was that we bought our coach used and wanted to "hedge our bets" for at least the first year. Well it has paid for itself. We had rear vision camera problems, front brake problems, hydraulic leveler and slide problems. I think we will keep it for at least one more year. If we had bought a new coach I don't know if I would have bothered with the extended service policy. One thing to note, the Good Sam policy does not cover "emergency temporary repairs" that get you to where the actual repair can be made. We had to get a service company out to manually retract our jacks and slide, Good Sam doesn't cover that cost, just the actual repair.

Hope this helps,
Paul

2004 Adventurer 38R
PaulC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 04:06 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Do a forum search for "extended warranty" and "insurance." You are basically buying insurance and not an 'extended warranty.' Put your money in the bank instead.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 04:42 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

My vote also goes with put the money in the bank for repairs. I have chose this route with two coaches thus far. I feel there is to much fine print and to many things not covered. Research as John stated will help you make the most informed choice.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 04:55 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I have always thought that the risk/reward equation is skewed in favor of the insurer and not the insured. If this were not the case, they wouldn't be in business very long. Having stated that, rest assured that with systems as complex as the modern day motorhome things will go bad every now and then. If you are reasonably "handy" most repairs can be made with a little common sense and the great help from members of this forum.

I agree with the Chaplain and John.

07 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote