Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-23-2017, 05:24 AM   #21
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgelesley View Post
As an ex insurance agent I know these things a profit makers for the companies and the idea is that you will lose money and on average, they will make money. Some individuals will come out ahead, more will not. That is how it works.

I have never felt extend warranties are a good "investment" per se. However we do have one on our 2014 Itasca which has the dreaded Schwintek slide and the trouble prone Norcold 1200 series refer. The slide was just repaired and GS warranty and Winnie covered it completely, about $3k

At this point in our life a flat monthly cost that will at least assist is worth it to us. However, they do vary a lot in items covered, so read the fine print and ask questions before you buy.
Georgelesley,
Thank you for your feedback. I pulled the trigger and invested in the plan. I think I can close the inquiry.
Paul70668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 05:26 AM   #22
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Check with Camping World on their ESC=extended service contract. We bought a 3-yr contract when we bought our MH (on consignment) from Camping World. At the end of the 3 year contract, it had paid for the purchase price and our $50 deductibles. None of the repairs were for the Spartan chassis, all were for the Winnebago coach part.
FYI, CW has reduced the age limit on RV's to 7 years, at the time it was 18 years old.
Buying an ESC is somewhat like buying personal health insurance, you may never recoup the purchase price, but just that one serious time and your financial position may not recover-or you.
Ray,IN,
I did check with CW but decided to use another plan. Thank you for the feedback.
Old 06-23-2017, 05:32 AM   #23
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spk64 View Post
I really struggled with this when we first purchased our 2002 three years ago. PO had a warranty and sounds like he used it some and it was supposed to be transferable, I gave up after 3-4 tries of confirming it actually transferred. After it expired I priced it out a couple times but could never be comfortable with the prices they were asking.
Now with 3 years under my belt I can say that not purchasing was a good decision. I keep that money "in the bank" as there are always items that need addressed. One difference is I am a hands on person, so troubleshooting and fixing so far has fell on my shoulders. In 3 years I have spent about $15,000 on upgrades and normal maintenance. Of these cost very few if any would have been covered by a warranty. We got what I felt was a pretty good deal on our coach and I was 30k less than some lesser coaches we looked at. Even with the 15k in expenses we are still ahead.
Spk64,
Thank you for your input. We did decide to purchase an agreement and we will see if it was worth it after 4 years.
Safe travels.