Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-01-2012, 08:00 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Advice on potential purchase please

We are looking at buying our first MH and have our eye on a 2003 Adventure, one owner, 23,000 miles, model 38G, Chevy Workhorse 8.1 with Allison. We have read about the windshield seal /rust issue and will look out for that. After much deliberation, we're thinking of doing a less expensive gasser, since we're new at this. We will be doing short trips staying in Texas right now. Eventually we'd like to make trips up to NH, where we have a house as well. Maybe we'd trade up at that point, but we might be attached to this one too! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!
Old 11-01-2012, 08:13 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

If it's over the Internet you might want to check out this thread first.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:19 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Why trade up? You will find that your Adventurer 38G has everything you will need for a trip to NH. Just make sure that all systems are functional especially slides, jacks, refrigerator, ac/heat, water heater, and water pump. Take your time when inspecting the unit. Rust around the windshield will be evident because of leaks when it rains plus the windshield may be cracked along the edges. Winnebago makes nice comfortable motorhomes so you will not be disappointed. Also check the dates on the tires. If over 5 years old, have them replaced. Make sure that the brake recall has been done by Workhorse. You have a low mileage unit which should last a lifetime if properly maintained. Get ready to enjoy yourself!
Old 11-01-2012, 08:27 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Sounds good! It is not over the internet. It's at a dealer that only works on, renovates, & inspects preowned motorhomes. They provide warranties and have great customer satisfaction reviews through google. We are fortunate they are located only 30 minutes from our house.

I have the feeling we will get attached to it because it seems to have personality. We want to be able to travel with our three doggies!

Thank uou for the encouragement!
Old 11-02-2012, 09:10 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Please note that the 2003 chassis (W20 and W22) had a 2 inch front stabilizer shaft. Often called an anti sway bar. In September of 2003 WH changed to a 2.5 inch bar.
If your chassis has the 2 inch bar I would strongly recommend that you have the 2.5 inch bar installed. I did and it made a huge improvement in roll or side to side sway.

This is from an email I got from WH in 2005:

"The part number for the Front Stabilizer Bar with Brackets is: W0005643.

This bar was found to have an advantage over the original 2" bar, and was
put into regular production on 9/2/2003.

The installation is very straightforward. Remove 4 retaining nuts while
supporting bar, remove bar, hold new bar in position, reinstall 4 retaining
nuts, and torque to specification. This procedure is NOT meant to replace
the service manual, but is a generalized procedure.

The upgraded stabilizer bar has been shown to provide the following
benefits:
1. Reduced Body Roll when cornering.
2. Reduced "rocking" when passed by or passing large vehicles.
3. Reduced "rocking" when traversing bumps on an angle."

The installation procedure is below- I did not raise the coach, just crawled under it:

Stabilizer Shaft Replacement (Front) (W20/W22)

Removal Procedure
1. Raise the vehicle on a hoist
2. Remove the nuts and washers from the stabilizer shaft clamp and the right front leaf spring.
3. Remove the nuts and washers from the stabilizer shaft clamp and the left front leaf spring, and remove the stabilizer shaft from the vehicle.
4. Remove the clamps from the stabilizer shaft.
5. Remove the insulators from the stabilizer shaft.

Installation Procedure
1. Install the insulators to the stabilizer shaft.
2. Install the clamps to the stabilizer shaft.

Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Cautions and Notices in the WCC Service Manual.

3. Install the washers and nuts to the stabilizer shaft clamp and the left front leaf spring.
4. Install the washers and nuts to the stabilizer shaft clamp and the right front leaf spring.

Tighten
Tighten the stabilizer shaft clamp nuts to
373 N·m (275 lb ft).
5. Lower the vehicle.
Old 11-02-2012, 03:01 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

The first thing I would suggest is to do a comprehensive pre delivery inspection. As the name implies the inspection should be done before any commitments are made or any money changes hands.
If it's your first motorhome I'd also suggest you take an experienced friend along for the pre delivery inspection. Many times the salesman will "forget" to mention things that aren't working properly or need repairs. An experienced person on acting on your behalf could reveal some existing problems that might cost big bucks down the road.

Once the inspection is complete be sure to get in writing the dealers commitment for any repairs or replacement items. Just a verbal agreement and a handshake probably won't go far if the salesman's or the sales managers memory fails once the check is handed over. You never know how long the salesman has worked at the present dealership or when he may move on.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:56 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

We have a 2003 Adventurer 38G and love it. We were thinking about upgrading to something newer and started looking around, at floorplans and prices. After looking for over a year we decided to keep it and do some upgrades on it. We love the floorplan, plenty room for the two of us(also 2 cats) so here we go: We did a complete exterior refurbish, full body paint, new slide toppers, awnings, and hardware. We bought some new furniture, new plumbing fixtures, and all new interior accessories. We completely upgraded the TV's and audio systems. New Winegard SK-3005 self aligning satellite system. All of this has made our coach like new and now we have everything that we would have had with a new one.... Love this coach.
tbomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:05 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbomn View Post
We have a 2003 Adventurer 38G and love it. We were thinking about upgrading to something newer and started looking around, at floorplans and prices. After looking for over a year we decided to keep it and do some upgrades on it. We love the floorplan, plenty room for the two of us(also 2 cats) so here we go: We did a complete exterior refurbish, full body paint, new slide toppers, awnings, and hardware. We bought some new furniture, new plumbing fixtures, and all new interior accessories. We completely upgraded the TV's and audio systems. New Winegard SK-3005 self aligning satellite system. All of this has made our coach like new and now we have everything that we would have had with a new one.... Love this coach.
All good to hear! Have you had the front window rust problem? Also, is your partition the accordian fabric one? Have you left it as is, and does it function well? I tried closing the one we are looking at, and the first little round thing came right out of the track! Have you posted any photos of your reno?

Thanks for your post!!
Old 11-02-2012, 07:26 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Here are a couple of the outside and one of the cook top surround that I did. The youtube is of the front TV upgrade.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pass side.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	28642   Click image for larger version

Name:	driver side.JPG
Views:	183
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	28643  

Attached Images

Old 11-02-2012, 07:34 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Sorry I forgot to answer your windshield question. No, we did not have any problems there. The year after we bought it we got rocks out of a gravel truck in the windshield. The insurance company replaced both sides(at the factory), and at that time they upgraded the windshield frame and painted/treated the metal, and we were told that would stop any rusting. I hope they are right, but it isn't anything I worry about.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:36 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Very pretty! Thanks for sharing! Any more inside photos? What about that accordian door?
Old 11-02-2012, 07:41 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weimaraner View Post
Very pretty! Thanks for sharing! Any more inside photos? What about that accordian door?
I am assuming you are talking about the one between the bed and the bath area. Ours is a wooden accordion style that is inclosed with a full length door that hides it. It works perfect, but we seldom use it. The only other door we have that isn't a regular house door is the sliding door between the kitchen area and the bath area, it also works perfect.. There just isn't anything that doesn't work on this rig. Like I said, it is perfect for us.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:29 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

We also have a 2003 Adventurer 38G that we "upgraded" to. Very roomy. We have the accordion door between the bedroom and bathroom. It works fine, but we never use it. The little wood plug probably dried out and shrank. A little glue will keep it in place. You can buy bags of them from Winnebago Parts. We changed out the TVs to LCD in the living room and bed room, added 405 watts of solar and a 2KW pure sine wave inverter. Changed all the lights to LEDs. This is our favorite floor plan. I highly recommend the 38G for comfort and driveability. We have the F-53 Ford Chassis and tow a 1999 Jeep Cherokee.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:48 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

We have a 04 33V Adventurer on a workhorse chassis. We will be finishing up our second full season with it. This year we traveled over 6,000 miles and stayed 27 nights in it. we love it. Just keep in mind that with anything used that you will encounter problems form time to time. Do a good inspection with someone who currently owns a RV and can possibly point out anything that is wrong. Best of luck with your purchase and read and ask questions.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:49 AM   #15
Winnie-Wise

The only thing I could add to the great suggestions here is think about installing a Banks PowerPack sometime in the future. Those Chevy engines are notorious for being underpowered and also for burning out the exhaust manifolds after a few years. When that happened to me on an Itasca Windcruiser that I used to own, I installed the PowerPack and never felt like an orphan again.
Ramzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:45 AM   #16
Winnie-Wise

I personally do not think the 8.1 engine is underpowered.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:58 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

I just peeked at your potential new ride on their website. It sure looks pretty. Question to Clay L, Workhorse chassis has front leaf springs?
ARTWERKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:09 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug512 View Post
I personally do not think the 8.1 engine is underpowered.
How many horsepower and how much torque does the 8.1 put out? Curious minds want to know. The newer ford 6.8 V10s put out 362 HP and 435 FPT I think.
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:28 AM   #19
Winnie-Wise

According to Winnebagos information the horsepower on my 04 Adventurer is 340. Don't know if other years are different.

We have traveled for two years and 12,000 + miles towing a car and I have been fine with the power that the 8.1 delivers.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:59 AM   #20
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARTWERKE View Post
I just peeked at your potential new ride on their website. It sure looks pretty. Question to Clay L, Workhorse chassis has front leaf springs?
The W20,W22, and W24 do.

Tags
purchase