Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2019, 08:59 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

AC not working on generator power

Prepping for a trip to Florida and when checking systems I notice the AC and microwave do not work when the generator is running. However, if I turn off generator and plug into an outlet both the AC and microwave work fine.

I want to use the coach AC and microwave during my 12 hour drive

Can someone tell me what I am missing?

Thanks
Bruce
Bloveall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 09:31 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
sounds like the breakers ON the genny have tripped. there should be two breakers reset and you should be back in business.

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 09:39 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

If Rich's suggestion doesn't fix it, when the generator is running, does anything powered by 120V AC power work, outlets etc. (excluding any powered by an inverter)?

If not, my guess is that your transfer switch isn't switching over to the generator. I'm assuming you have a transfer switch. Otherwise you'll have a shore power outlet and a generator outlet for your power cord to plug into, depending on your power source.

It would help if you identified your year and model MH. The best way to do this is to complete your profile and set up a signature block with the info (see mine) under the User CP (control panel) tab in the toolbar. That way you don't need to enter it each time you post.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 09:52 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

the default position of the txfr switch is the generator. when you plug into shore power you should hear a noise caused by the electromagnet switching from the generator to shore power. if no “thud” is heard then Bob is most likely correct. let us know.
Old 06-06-2019, 10:05 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

FYI, here's a link to a tutorial describing transfer switches:

https://www.rvtechmag.com/electrical/chapter4.php
Old 06-06-2019, 02:27 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

You did not say what RV you have. If it is a View like mine there is no transfer switch. The plug that you use for a wall or RV park must be plugged bank into a receptical that is the generator output. I make it a habit to plug it back into the RV every time I unplug it from the house wall.
Old 06-06-2019, 06:39 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucsontoy View Post
You did not say what RV you have. If it is a View like mine there is no transfer switch. The plug that you use for a wall or RV park must be plugged bank into a receptical that is the generator output. I make it a habit to plug it back into the RV every time I unplug it from the house wall.
I think it's a 2013 Vista HE according to his profile.
So, I'd say your theory is probably the answer. My 2016 Sunstar 26HE (sister ship) had no auto-transfer switch, just a manual shore power plug, and a generator output receptacle.
My Navion has the same setup (thinking of adding an ATS) and it sometimes unplugs itself on particularly rough roadways.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 06:46 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbagoal View Post
I think it's a 2013 Vista HE according to his profile.
So, I'd say your theory is probably the answer. My 2016 Sunstar 26HE (sister ship) had no auto-transfer switch, just a manual shore power plug, and a generator output receptacle.
My Navion has the same setup (thinking of adding an ATS) and it sometimes unplugs itself on particularly rough roadways.
See page 6-6 of the operator manual for details:

https://winnebagoind.com/resources/m...13/13Vista.pdf

Personally, the engineer in me likes the plug-in method. A lot simpler and less expensive than a transfer switch and a lot less to go wrong. There are very few situations that I can think of where I'd be switching back and forth between the generator and shore power.
Old 06-06-2019, 06:59 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
See page 6-6 of the operator manual for details:

https://winnebagoind.com/resources/m...13/13Vista.pdf

Personally, the engineer in me likes the plug-in method. A lot simpler and less expensive than a transfer switch and a lot less to go wrong. There are very few situations that I can think of where I'd be switching back and forth between the generator and shore power.
Page 4-12 also references the need to plug the power cord into the generator receptacle when running the Air Conditioner
"NOTE: The power cord must be plugged into the generator receptacle for generator operation."

If the locking exterior doors opened horizontally, instead up swinging upwards, I'd agree with you.

My lower back says, "install the ATS, and we'll all be happier campers".
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 06:38 AM   #10
Veteran RV Owner

There are two cricuit breakers on my Onan 5500. If one of my A/C's is not running while on the generator, it is most always one of the CB's have tripped on the generator.
armullis59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 05:59 PM   #11
2018 Minnie Winnie 22M

Ha! This is an issue for me right now. I have a MW 22M, and summertime has blasted upon us here in Northern California, with temperatures over 100°. (I think it was 104° yesterday, and it's 103° as I type this.) We are in the middle of a whole house remodel and have been staying in the MW for the past 10 nights. I have a 15am cable connection to the house current, but I learned quickly that there wasn't enough amperage to operate the air conditioning. Only alternative is to unplug from the house, and plug in the cable to the outlet in the cable box so that the generator will supply all of the power. Other than the hassle of moving the plug depending on whether I need the a/c or not, it works fine. However, with this remodeling work, I'm soooo tempted to put in a 30 amp receptacle on the side of the garage so I can plug into the house for everything. And since the county put a new sewer flush out in my driveway, I now have a built in dump site!
mcfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 06:23 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfflyer View Post
Ha! This is an issue for me right now. I have a MW 22M, and summertime has blasted upon us here in Northern California, with temperatures over 100°. (I think it was 104° yesterday, and it's 103° as I type this.) We are in the middle of a whole house remodel and have been staying in the MW for the past 10 nights. I have a 15am cable connection to the house current, but I learned quickly that there wasn't enough amperage to operate the air conditioning. Only alternative is to unplug from the house, and plug in the cable to the outlet in the cable box so that the generator will supply all of the power. Other than the hassle of moving the plug depending on whether I need the a/c or not, it works fine. However, with this remodeling work, I'm soooo tempted to put in a 30 amp receptacle on the side of the garage so I can plug into the house for everything. And since the new sewer flush out that the county put in my driveway, I now have a built in dump site!
put in a 50-amp box or better yet a typical 20/30/50 amp box. covers all your current (no pun intended) needs as well as possible future needs.

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
Old 06-12-2019, 06:29 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Blood all, did you get it working? Inquiring minds want to know.

Mcfflyer, you won't regret having the 30amp plug. It's an easy job for the electrician and you'll use it more than you think. When we had the big fire her in Santa Rosa, we had friends stay here at our house for 10 days during evacuation. We were able to plug their RV in. Plus, you can use it to work on the RV on the heat or get it cooled down before a trip or cool the fridge. Make sure you place the plug in a convenient location.
Lakejumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 07:00 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

There's a similar thread on this topic:

http://www.winnieowners.com/forums/f...or-354677.html
Old 06-13-2019, 12:04 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

This is what I suspect-I have a View and had to figure this out. I also always plug mine back in.
Newman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 10:22 AM   #16
Peaceful Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfflyer View Post
However, with this remodeling work, I'm soooo tempted to put in a 30 amp receptacle on the side of the garage so I can plug into the house for everything.
If doing a remodel, I urge you to put in not one, but two 50-AMP receptacles, or one 50-AMP and a combo-50/30/20 AMP box, like at many campgrounds. Why? Think resale value of your home, which is now "wired for an Electric Car Charger"! This "feature" will soon be in big demand with home buyers.

Tags
generator, power