Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2019, 05:27 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Unhappy Abandoning big coaches?

What's up with Winnebago stopping production of their big coaches like the Tour, Grand Tour, etc? Are they abandoning that segment of the market?
bullrhider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 09:45 PM   #2
Site Team

My guess is that they are in transition, recovering from a bad decision to move deisal production to OR, and trying to gauge where the economy is going.
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 10:54 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Moving production to a central location does make sense, especially if you consider the $500,000 they will receive from Iowa and Forrest City in tax refunds, credits and abatements. Also consider that they are targeting a younger demographic who are still working and want 'family time'. My take is that the industry as a whole is moving in that direction as a reaction to the last recession and might be worried about the next one (likely in the next year or two). So positioning themselves with products at a lower price point and hoping for higher volume in those segments seems solid...to me.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:58 AM   #4
Site Team

I would guess that most folks buy motorhomes based upon the floor plan. There is a ton of competition in the large Class A Diesel Pusher field, and I'm not sure how you compete effectively by spreading your product line out so thinly that you cannot survive the tooling costs. I believe quality of construction is number two in considerations of folks purchasing, but perhaps not with visitors of this Winnebago Owners site, right?

What Winnebago has now on their website is the Horizon with a 41' full bath or a 43' bath and a half. At a glance, it is hard to see any shortcomings on this product. The smaller Forza ranges from 36' to 40', and has four great floor plans. If a customer wants a Winnebago Class A Diesel Pusher and its quality, they still have a great choice between the six total variants. I'm not sure if I see a hole in the product line. I agree with Winnebago's decision to focus the product line, and keep costs under control.
Eagle5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 04:49 PM   #5
Vietnam Veteran 1967-1970

Recession?

From the Midwest point of view, I don't see a recession coming soon.....
GBFANKEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 05:20 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I hadn't heard of the state giving them any incentives to move it back, did they pay the state to leave??

My opinion is their quality and innovative design has gone down hill in the past 10 years. We bought from them 12 years ago because of those reasons, and didn't buy from them for those very reasons last year.
Old 03-31-2019, 05:32 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

my guess is....they are losing money in that market
Old 03-31-2019, 05:37 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I think Winnebago Industries as we knew them in the past is gone. Leadership now working away from the factory. Strange move to Oregon with their most complicated and expensive product from an experienced(?) workforce to one who hadn’t built a motorhome in 8 years.
Now with great fanfare and a host of reasons why moving to Iowa is great idea, back they go. The very reasons cited for returning were in place when they moved.

No longer, even if a facade, of a solid Midwest family operation in now gone forever.

Nothing profound here
Old 04-01-2019, 05:08 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deny View Post
my guess is....they are losing money in that market
I suppose we all remember the day when our friends sold us cars, insurance, or, most any other goods or services.

There was a day that we would not even think of patronizing anybody but them. Sadly, those days are gone, and with them the quality of goods & services we once enjoyed.
Old 04-01-2019, 11:18 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Rumour has it the CEO has moved operation closer to his home base & has changed manufacturing practice to reduce costs but also has impacted product real-ability & has also lost many of their qualified personnel who were not willing to relocate. Also support of Winnebago owners has been reduced to save money. We are in the market for a newer unit & will not consider a Winnebago product.
jeanbev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 02:22 PM   #11
Site Team

We love the Horizon, but WBGO needs a more traditional DP and the Journey and Tour were well liked and enjoyed a good reputation. It will be a shame if they don't return.

That Oregon fiasco cost them $15+ million. What a waste. I'd guess it came down to putting a lot more money and effort into making Oregon work or cut bait and the cut bait crowd won out.

And... buying Chris Craft??? How can that be a sensible decision? More money thrown on the ground, or in the water.

The perception of us outsiders is one of lack of focus and distracted by the siren song of profits from huge Class B sales.
Old 04-03-2019, 01:54 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Winnebago closed its manufacturing in Oregon, of the big Tour Model. Which has been surpassed by the new Horizon model.

It just might take a bit of time to get a middle model like the 'Journey' back into production in Iowa. Sales dollars project into manufactured models. If the middle diesel models aren't selling, it would be prudent not to produce them right now.

Perhaps, wishful thinking here, maybe Winnebago has a surprise or two waiting in the wings, like an electric powered RV. Something like locomotive power, electric motors powered by a generator. Talk about torque, what a machine that would be.
Old 04-03-2019, 04:30 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

New winnebago

It is really sad to hear all these negative things about Winnebago and it’s manufacturing problems. Have always thought they were a pretty well made rig. Seems like things have changed and the Horizon isn’t for everyone. Super modern.
Katie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 10:33 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBFANKEN View Post
From the Midwest point of view, I don't see a recession coming soon.....
X2

Truth is the work ethic of Midwest workers are 2nd to none. The Midwest is booming finally.

I think the company is transitioning more towards the towable market. Great quality for a affordable price that most middle class people can afford. They can be built relatively fast and they sell like hotcakes which translates to a fast turn around of company monies.
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 11:31 AM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret.LEO View Post
:
I think the company is transitioning more towards the towable market.
If you take a factory tour in Forest City it's all Sprinter Bs and Cs all the time. And massive parking lots jammed full of Sprinter cut-down chassis. I know the towables are built elsewhere. But in Forest City everyone boasts about their massive Sprinter chassis sales.

WBGO is number one purchaser of MB Sprinter chassis in the US. And this, plus the Amazon order for 20,000 complete Sprinter Vans is why MB opened their new Sprinter plant in North Charleston, South Carolina.
Old 04-10-2019, 03:11 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret.LEO View Post
X2

Truth is the work ethic of Midwest workers are 2nd to none. The Midwest is booming finally.

I think the company is transitioning more towards the towable market. Great quality for a affordable price that most middle class people can afford. They can be built relatively fast and they sell like hotcakes which translates to a fast turn around of company monies.
Firstly, I agree about the midwest ethics. I worked in and retired from in a big midwestern industry. I always did my best, my father instilled that in me.

Last I heard about Winnebago they were not going to make towables for a while. So I am purely speculating when I say this, but I think all of these decisions have more to do with supply and demand. Better to make fewer units and keep prices up than to do deep discounts to get rid of unsold units when the new models come out.
KC1BUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 07:32 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

We owned a new view....loved it, not so crazy about the MB part of it. Just found the maintenance was way too much trouble, for a do-it-yourselfer.

We shopped Winnebago towable, found them to be too drab, and, too highly priced , compared to the competition.

We ordered & purchased a 25', king bed, dual recliner , with counter space & interior that was approved by the person who makes such decisions , in our family.
Old 04-12-2019, 10:12 AM   #18
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC1BUD View Post
Firstly, I agree about the midwest ethics. I worked in and retired from in a big midwestern industry. I always did my best, my father instilled that in me.

Last I heard about Winnebago they were not going to make towables for a while. So I am purely speculating when I say this, but I think all of these decisions have more to do with supply and demand. Better to make fewer units and keep prices up than to do deep discounts to get rid of unsold units when the new models come out.
I sent Grant Smith a District manager a question point blank about Win. discontinuing or cutting back Win. towables.
His response:
"Regarding the rumor you have heard on social media, I can assure you there is no truth to it. Certain products/floorplans will always come and go in this industry as customer demand fluctuates. However, with the growth our company has seen in the towables industry in the last 3-5 years, I can assure you that we are here to stay. 61 years strong so far and hopefully another 61 more! If you ever have any further questions, I’d be happy to help you out"
Win. towables are here to stay the way it sounds
Old 04-12-2019, 12:55 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

I heard just the opposite that they were doing toward and phasing out Class A.
Katie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 03:51 PM   #20
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie View Post
I heard just the opposite that they were doing toward and phasing out Class A.
I would seriously doubt all Class A's That's been the hallmark of Winnebago since it's inception.