Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-11-2022, 08:44 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

AAA vs. Good Sam Roadside Insurance

We have been using AAA for roadside. Good Sam rep told me their coverage was better. Will investigate when we get home. Any opinions appreciated. Our main coverage is with Progressive.
TwoFrom93449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 08:51 AM   #2
Site Team

Good Sam will tell you anything that will get you to buy something from them. Best not to forget that.

I use CoachNet. But, I use the word "use" lightly. I've never needed to call them.
Old 08-11-2022, 09:53 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoFrom93449 View Post
We have been using AAA for roadside. Good Sam rep told me their coverage was better. Will investigate when we get home. Any opinions appreciated. Our main coverage is with Progressive.
Don't Progressive come with Roadside option?

Have you compared it with AAA & Good Sams?

I can 100% guarantee that is only a fraction of cost because you already have Progressive Insurance.

Would you expect the Sam's Rep to say anything other than they were better

If money is not your concern, get CoachNet or better yet since Progressive is so cheap why not have both? I did for two years until my Coach net expired.

Ironically I am Good Sams member but it is to get a discounted insurance rate with Progressive

With that said, AAA or Good Sams Roadside assistance is not the end of the world. Just read the fine print and there will be no surprises with any of them.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 04:30 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I have and have had Good Sam Roadside Assistance and AAA for many years. Both provide a service that is needed when on the road.

You will see stories good and bad about both so its going to be hard to pick the best. Here are a couple things to keep in mind. Towing: I believe GSRA will tow you farther and to a correct repair place. Where AAA will get you to the first place. Also AAA RV roadside is an additional charge to their standard plan.

Both plans are only around to get you off the road and to a repair place. Neither is insurance to cover any repairs.

I could be wrong here but I do believe both plans will cancel you if you use to often.

Good Luck
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 06:30 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

For the record, Progressive roadside allows for 3 per year. I have never had to use them. But since OP already has Progressive Insurance, the answer may be None of the Above. Imagine if some damage to happen during the towing, Progressive would a party in correcting the damage.

Roadside assistance is not insurance, but Progressive is an Insurance company that takes added pride in RV, Motorcycles, Boats etc.

It could be as simple as OP adding a $30/year coverage and call it or day. Or that least compare with AAA & Good Sams. I compared with Good Sams 4 years ago and it was not close. But as I state I am a Good Sams member and if I did NOT have Progressive, I would likely have Good Sams. IMO Coach Net is the best without your current insurance, but they proudly charge for their services.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 03:59 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Thanks. As stated, it makes sense to go with Progressive since that is our insurer for three of our recreational items.
TwoFrom93449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 06:10 PM   #7
2018 22M

Like be happy said..........

Some folks may like, and others not. My experience: I had AAA on cars for years and it went ok until it didn't. Once I got my full-time RV I've had Good Sam and used them four times in 3 years. Every time was terrible. Last time took ALL day in Austin for a flat tire change. They first sent a LOCKOUT service only. That had been a couple hour wait. Then another couple hours and some guy showed up to the State Park campground in a car, who didn't have the right tools for an RV and had to go back to his shop, 45 minutes away! I found someone myself, close by and ready to come, and called GS to cover. Of course I had to hassle with sending the bills etc. Other times it was NO ONE suitable for the RV and I had to find my own and be reimbursed again; LONG wait times; etc. Just saying. It's clearly not as easy to find folks to come for RV's as cars. Maybe with more RV's on the road this will change. Good luck.
dnta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 03:06 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I have received good service from AAA and Good Sam. I'm going with Good Sam now.
Old 08-18-2022, 08:21 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Coach Ne maybe a better option

If you are reevaluating your options look at coach-net. I don't remember the details but your auto insurance roadside assistance will probably fall short of your needs so I would rely on just that.
Old 08-18-2022, 08:53 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

AAA options vary by "club." Bluegrass AAA in Kentucky did not cover RVs when I inquired about it. Ask. Read the fine print.

I went with Coach-Net and have been happy. I haven't needed to call them for the RV, but, like AAA, they cover all of my vehicles and I've had to use them several times for tows, dead batteries, etc. I like that Coach-Net is RV-specific. I know they just refer to local businesses pretty much the same way every other roadside service does, but with Coach-Net they're expecting calls about big vehicles with special needs, which AAA probably doesn't deal with regularly.

I also have Progressive insurance. I'll check into their coverage option. Wouldn't be bad to have belt and suspenders coverage if it isn't a lot of extra money.
Old 08-18-2022, 08:54 AM   #11
DNC
2016 Journey 36M

Aaa vs. Good sam roadside insurancereply to thread

I've had Good Sam since I bought my first RV in 2013. I had a Super C and had to call on GS twice. Once to fix a blowout that happened on a rainy Sunday afternoon in Waxahachie, Texas (south of Dallas). The tire was a 19.5" and hard to find, but GS found a tire dealer on the south side of Dallas that put a tire on.

The second time was on I80 east of Des Moines, IA on a Sunday afternoon. Pulled into a BP, grabbed the green handle (only diesel flows through green pump handles where I live) and filled up with gas. My Duramax shut down to a crawl within a couple of miles. I called GS; they said they would have to wait until the next morning, but would find a wrecker and tow it to a garage that would be able to fix it. They did just that the next morning. Garage kept it for a week. I drove my dingy home and flew back to Des Moines the following week to pick it up.

You probably didn't want to hear all of that, but that's my experience with GS. I'm satisfied that they did what they say they will do. No complaints here. I still have GS Roadside Assistance.
DNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 09:34 AM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

No good sams for me

My small class A stalled and would not restart in a busy intersection in Panama City Florida. I called Sam's they got back to me and said it would be at least 2 hours before a tow truck could get there. The police arrived asked if I wanted them to call a tow truck and I said yes as I didn't want to block traffic for 2 hours. The tow truck arrived in 10 minutes, and literally had to pull me 500 ft to a automotive repair store. The tow truck driver told me he is the Good Sam's go to person, and he was not on another call.
My father had a large Class A, and blew a tire in a construction zone on the interstate near Cincinnati. He had AAA supplemental, and they were out in no time and change the tire.
No good sams for me.
Kjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 02:12 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

We recently renewed our annual AAA automobile coverage as well as the PlusRV coverage which is about $40 extra per year. The paperwork noted that effective immediately the RV towing, extrication and tire service is limited to $500 per call and $1,000 per year, so 2 calls.

Haven't needed it yet, but probably will at some point.
Old 08-21-2022, 05:40 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

I have AAA RV coverage. Had a blowout in TN. Expected wait time was around 5 hours. I ended up changing the tire myself. Wasn't particularly impressed with the process of requesting assistance as they try to get you to do everything online it felt like anyway. I can say we did use AAA once for a car tire, and it was a long wait, but not 5 hours, more like 2 or 3.

May look into GS next time, although it seems like either way you go, don't expect the cavalry to come anytime soon, plan on half a day or more!
CliffordM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 06:22 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

AAA has regions within the U.S.A. Each region sets their own rules and policies, the nationwide organization has no control over region policies. That is why some regions of the U.S.A. do not sell so support MH ERS policies.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote