Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2008, 04:15 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I recently bought my DP and since I had AAA I had the DP added to my AAA they had what sounded like a good roadside plan for RVs. Does anyone have any background on how AAA RV roadside asst stacks up against the other plans.
Im headed out for my first long trip and want to make sure I have good coverage, Thanks...
capt mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 04:15 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I recently bought my DP and since I had AAA I had the DP added to my AAA they had what sounded like a good roadside plan for RVs. Does anyone have any background on how AAA RV roadside asst stacks up against the other plans.
Im headed out for my first long trip and want to make sure I have good coverage, Thanks...
capt mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 04:36 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Capt. Mav
Check out the distance that AAA will tow your coach without additional charges. It is limited.
On my 1st trip to Alaska I had AAA previously and checked this out. It was very limited and would have been of no use due to the towing distances involved.
I have AAA on all my vehicles, but I also carry the Good Sam towing for the motorhome and its additional benefits.

I do beleive that AAA offers an extended towing policy for extra $. What the distance is I do not know.

Personally I feel the additional benefits of Good Sam ( or others) would be good.

My motorhome and two vehicles are insured by AAA, with the AAA towing policy for the autos. I do not subscribe to their RV policy for roadside assistance and towing due to its limited benefits in relation to other available Roadside assistance policies out there.
I have not dug deep into this arena for a few years so check it all out for yourself.
RCtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 05:21 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

But AAA will upgrade your regular insurance to RV premium (or whatever they call it) on the phone from the side of the road...

tderonne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 05:53 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

CoachNet for me...

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 05:57 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

We had AAA before we bought our coach. We got one year free Coach-Net (Winnebago Premium Roadside Assistance version) with purchase.
- I found it would cost us considerably less to cover our motorhome and ALL other vehicles we own with Coach-Net than with AAA.
- AND Coach-Net includes 24 hr technical assistance via telephone at no extra charge. I have used the assistance several times, and it is super!
- AND when I call Coach-Net to tell them I need help with a 40ft diesel motorhome w/IFS, they know better what I am talking about and what type of tow truck to send than AAA does.
- AND Coach-Net will find a truly qualified service location and tow me there pretty much regardless of distance. Our AAA Premium (at higher cost) was limited to 100 mi.

Couple the above with the fact that AAA had been very, very slow to respond when we needed them in recent years. The result was we totally dropped AAA and use Coach-Net to cover all our vehicles.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:35 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

We have AAA on our two cars and when we started fulltiming we upgraded to their longest towing plan "AAA Premier". This gives us one 200 mile tow per year and 3 more 100 mile tow's per year. The additional cost for us is $63 for Premier plus RV service. Under towing, at the bottom of the fine print is "Certain restrictions and limitations apply."

Ok, so now I look up the "Certain restric....." fine print and find that outside Southern Cal [our home area], members may have to pay for towing above 100 miles and below 200 miles, and submit a request for reimbursement.

Maybe it's time for me to switch to CoachNet. What do you pay for CoachNet?

Since I'm at the GNR and CoachNet has a booth here, I'll be a knock'n on their door tomorrow .... and get their "special show price".
Old 07-24-2008, 07:47 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Here in Massachusetts, AAA does not offer RV roadside assistance. I wonder how AAA handles an RV breakdown for a traveller in this State?
I have Good Sam for my coach and AAA for my auto's.
Lt46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 12:47 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">What do you pay for CoachNet? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Coach-Net now has three levels. We have the basic level and used to pay $99/yr. Seems I recall it went up to $109/yr last time I paid it.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:45 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Back in 1994 with our first RV we had AAA and needed service from them for a tire blowout. The tow truck driver from AAA told us we should have Good Sam, because back in those days AAA wasn't really equipped for RVs. So we switched and since then we have always had excellent service from Good Sam on the two occasions we've needed them. Last time, they sent out the biggest tow truck I've ever seen! It's the kind they use on I80 in the Lake Tahoe, CA, area for the 18 wheelers, even though the RV was sitting in front of our house in the Sacramento area. That 10 mile tow to the Winnebago dealer would have been $435. Good Sam ER service is worth every bit of the annual fee just for the peace of mind knowing that they will tow you as far as needed to get service. We won't leave home without it!

Winnebago 2005 Adventurer 33V
Honda 2005 CRV toad
Blue Ox tow bar and braking system
Old 07-28-2008, 12:20 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

AAA left me stranded on a busy highway 10 years ago after being a member for over 10 years.I was in my 1/2 ton van,it had commercial plates on it because of the ladder racks,but it was a commuter van,not a work truck.They wouldnt tow me or offer me any assistance,I felt burned and will never give them another look. I use couchnet now and they are great,so far used them 4 times,once for the MH and they were outstanding all times.

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 01:37 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lt46:
Here in Massachusetts, AAA does not offer RV roadside assistance. I wonder how AAA handles an RV breakdown for a traveller in this State?
I have Good Sam for my coach and AAA for my auto's. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

LT46 where on cape cod are you we live in New Bedford and are workamping right now at Normandy Farms in Foxboro Ma. just 2 miles from the New England pats fun fun fun. Maybe we can meet and greet some time.

Mark
Old 07-28-2008, 02:31 PM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

They advised me that some states are reimbursement states, That is why I am changing to Good Sam after this current year is up.
My conversation with them was regarding Texas, but they said there are others.

Jeep Wrangler toadw/US Gear breaking
bugs53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 03:50 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">LT46 where on cape cod are you we live in New Bedford and are workamping right now at Normandy Farms in Foxboro Ma. just 2 miles from the New England pats fun fun fun. Maybe we can meet and greet some time.

Mark </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Mark, We're in Plymouth, not too far away! Haven't been to NF's as of yet, but with the cost of fuel, it may be on the horizon. Headed to Maine in August and saving every penny for fuel. Hear nothing but good things about NF's, it must keep you busy!
Lt46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 04:08 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

We have roadside assistance/towing coverage through our RV insurance policy. It's one of those things you hope you never have to use, but we had a front passenger side tire blowout a couple of months ago... so obviously we needed a tow (ours is a 42 foot coach). The first truck they sent out couldn't handle the tow, interestingly (and smartly) a tow truck from a friendly competitor showed up (knowing tow truck "A" would have a problem), and offered to tow. In this case, we had to pay and then be reimbursed by the insurance company, because tow truck "B" wasn't on their "list", but it all got paid and we didn't have to wait even longer... so you might want to check your RV insurance policy.

Brenda, of...
Old 07-28-2008, 07:21 PM   #16
Winnebago Watcher

I have Coach Net and have never had to call until last winter. Our grand daughter had one of our cars and slid in a snowstorm. She needed a tow. I called Coach Net and they wouldn't go get her. Said the driver had to be my husband or me even though we are the owners of the car she was driving. I felt that was wrong when they don't specifically say that. Only that ALL vehicles are covered. Nothing about who is driving them. I belive AAA would have gone for her if we had had that company. We still have Coach Net, but if I ever have another problem with them, I won't have them for long.
Sistah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 12:58 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

AAA would not help my wife cause she was not on the membership I had to be there, an additional 30 per year for her..Coach-Net did. Good Luck
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 06:56 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

We recently had a breakdown on Interstate 5 in California. We are long-time users of AAA for our personal vehicles and have been very satisfied with their performance. We found AAA in Northern CA to be very sub-standard. The CHP officier that stopped to help said that AAA was not good in this area, and the quality is variable to location everywhere. We had CoachNet via our recent Winnebago purchase, and they were fantastic. We also have Good Sam CSP.

Cal
2008 Winnebago Tour 40TD
Acura MDX
Cal_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 07:52 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

I would not recommend AAA's service to anyone with an RV mainly because AAA doesn't offer that service everywhere in the country (as has already been mentioned here).

What that means to you is, if you have a breakdown and need to be towed, have a tire changed, or whatever, in an area where they don't offer the service, you have to pay for the service out of your own pocket and then seek reimbursement from AAA. Sorry, but I don't need/want the hassle of having to chase after a company for reimbursement. I'll take the "sign and drive" features of Good Sam's ERS (or Camping World's clone), or Coach Net, thank you very much.