Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2005, 11:18 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

We are here at Lazy Days for service and of course part of the diversion while we wait is checking out the 2006 coaches.

As a Horizon owner I am of course most interested in the changes made from 2005 to 2006 Horizons and Vectras. Unfortunately they didn't have an '06 Horizon but they did have an '06 Vectra 40KD.

Amazingly, the pass-through basement storage is but a fond memory now! I can't believe that the '06 seems to have much less basement storage than the '04/5 years. The passenger side slide storage compartments are attached to the slide. This will make more sense when I post pictures later this week (I took a bunch.) A guess for the design rational is that Winnie marketing wanted more headroom so they used the formely pass-through storage - who knows though!

On a positive note the Vectra had a Spendide 2100! This is great news since the drum is a little larger - momma might be able to wash/dry an extra set of underware now

Another much needed improvement in my opinion was the substitution of the heavy CRT bedroom TV for an LCD panel on a nifty slide-out.

There are now some cubby-holes for shoes that run vertically about in the center of the bedroom hanging locker. That's nice but you now lose about 18" of horizontal space for hanging clothes. Every inch counts for me - I'd rather have the hanging space but some might love the room for shoes or whatever.

Still in the bedroom is a very nice dresser and sink - much nicer looking and more functional than in the '04/5 models - again this is my opinion.

It appears that slide gasketing has changed a bunch. Check out the pictures when I get them posted.

After I have a chance to spend time with the pictures I took, I'll probably have more observations. I'll let you know more later...

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 11:18 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

We are here at Lazy Days for service and of course part of the diversion while we wait is checking out the 2006 coaches.

As a Horizon owner I am of course most interested in the changes made from 2005 to 2006 Horizons and Vectras. Unfortunately they didn't have an '06 Horizon but they did have an '06 Vectra 40KD.

Amazingly, the pass-through basement storage is but a fond memory now! I can't believe that the '06 seems to have much less basement storage than the '04/5 years. The passenger side slide storage compartments are attached to the slide. This will make more sense when I post pictures later this week (I took a bunch.) A guess for the design rational is that Winnie marketing wanted more headroom so they used the formely pass-through storage - who knows though!

On a positive note the Vectra had a Spendide 2100! This is great news since the drum is a little larger - momma might be able to wash/dry an extra set of underware now

Another much needed improvement in my opinion was the substitution of the heavy CRT bedroom TV for an LCD panel on a nifty slide-out.

There are now some cubby-holes for shoes that run vertically about in the center of the bedroom hanging locker. That's nice but you now lose about 18" of horizontal space for hanging clothes. Every inch counts for me - I'd rather have the hanging space but some might love the room for shoes or whatever.

Still in the bedroom is a very nice dresser and sink - much nicer looking and more functional than in the '04/5 models - again this is my opinion.

It appears that slide gasketing has changed a bunch. Check out the pictures when I get them posted.

After I have a chance to spend time with the pictures I took, I'll probably have more observations. I'll let you know more later...

Old 11-29-2005, 12:24 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

John

What did you learn about your power loss ? Is it fixed. The drama continues.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:27 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

John

My mistake-it was not your coach but another's

"Nevermind" !
Old 11-29-2005, 01:02 PM   #5
Administrator Emeritus

John,I'm really JEALOUS!! <<<----me waiting

Not sure what to think about the loss of basement storage, definitely a concern for me as I usually have a lot of stuff...Will definitely cause the DW and I to ponder every lil item now...As the DW and I are less than 6' tall, the headroom really isn't an issue,although we will now have to have a stool to reach the ceiling.

Glad to hear Winnie made "some" attempt to regasket the slides...

I'd rather put shoes on the floor...
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 02:36 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Hey John sounds like you might be coming home in a new unit don't let mrs's see you looking she might want the new one too!

I am looking at an 03 ulta advantage that they have on there lot there if you have chance can you look at it for me and let me know what you think.

Mark & Joanne
2000 Winnebago Adventurer 35U
Old 11-29-2005, 03:16 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mark Bento:
I am looking at an 03 ulta advantage that they have on there lot there if you have chance can you look at it for me and let me know what you think.
Mark & Joanne
2000 Winnebago Adventurer 35U </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I've ony had a quick look at an Ultimate a few months ago but I was very impressed with the quality - especially of the woodwork (my hobby.)

I'll try to find the 2003 Ultimate and give it a look-over and take some pictures. It looks like we will be here at least all tomorow morning.

As I type we are in the service bay (#76 - stop by for an adult beverage if you can tonight) for the night. Amazingly there are full hookups in the bay You have to see this place to believe it! Oh - we also have free wireless in the waiting room and the service bays!

We now have the latest gasketing (or seals) for the bedroom slide. Tomorrow the coach goes to the "rain room" for testing with the slides out (unlike the factory )
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rebelsbeach:
Not sure what to think about the loss of basement storage, definitely a concern for me as I usually have a lot of stuff...Will definitely cause the DW and I to ponder every lil item now... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>You'll do fine - there is a lot of storage topsides and the CCC is way up there compared to the '04/5s.

Old 11-29-2005, 03:28 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Didn't Winnebago drop the Ultimate a couple of years back...I was told they had too many problems attempting to purduce that high a quality rig and gave up

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
kenbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 03:49 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kenbt:
Didn't Winnebago drop the Ultimate a couple of years back...I was told they had too many problems attempting to purduce that high a quality rig and gave up </div></BLOCKQUOTE>That is at least the "story on the street". Winnie probably found it not that profitable to compete at that price point. I think the chassis was also Winnie built or at least Winnie customized. Maybe not enough margin to continue. Interview the CFO for the real story
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rnabors:

PS--- how is the CRD? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Running great - I think it is going to be a wonderful toad!

Old 11-29-2005, 04:50 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Hi John,

Did you happen to get a look at the the retracting screen for the entrance door on the 2006 Vectra?

cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 06:36 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

John,
The Ultimate chassis is a Spartan. Winnebago cut out the middle section and modified it to become a semi monocoque chassis. By doing this they got the enormous storage in the Ultimate plus made a sweet handling chassis. I heard that the cost to modify the chassis really got into their profit margin.
PS--- how is the CRD?
Old 11-30-2005, 02:05 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cbeierl:
Hi John,

Did you happen to get a look at the the retracting screen for the entrance door on the 2006 Vectra? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Oh - forgot to look! I'll check that out today.<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rnabors:

PS--- how is the CRD? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Running great - the CRD is going to make a fine toad! I'm a happy Jeep owner.

Old 11-30-2005, 03:20 AM   #13
Administrator Emeritus

USA Today Jeep CRD review
Old 11-30-2005, 05:30 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Chris - I saw the retractable screen and it is slick - I need/want one of those I didn't have my tape measure with me but I'm thinking it can easily be retrofitted. It appears to be a frame that fits inside of the pre-06 opening. The screen retracts into an assembly at the top. A raised screen would make the visibility much better.

The door stop/limit link is much beefier - that would also be a good retrofit.

Old 11-30-2005, 05:47 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Thanks, John. I'm very interested in anything you figure out about retrofitting the screen and/or the door stop.

cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 11:01 AM   #16
Winnie-Wise

John: If you could take a picture of the beefer door limiter/stop. I took my door apart and tightened the vertical bolts to tighten the cam. The door is tighter now but not as impressed compared to the flat folding hinge on top of the Monaco DP door. Thanks for being the eyes and good tech guy for us throughout the United States...
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 01:38 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gary CA:
John: If you could take a picture of the beefer door limiter/stop. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Oops I wasn't sure the door limiter on the '60 Vectra was different until I wandered over to my coach to check on the repair progress and compare to mine. By then I was so tired from walking for miles (literally) over the last few hours I didn't walk back to the Vectra.

The new limiter is not a gee whiz improvement - just a little thicker as I recall.

Old 11-30-2005, 01:50 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

John,

That free wi-fi is also in Rally Park. We were there a couple of weeks ago for 2 nights and it works great. I know what you mean about walking your legs off :-) Great fun!!
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 01:50 PM   #19
Administrator Emeritus

The man's tired of walking.....Like a kid in a candy store....

Still waitin' on my '60 Vectra....

(John must've been tired,he's making typos..)
Old 12-04-2005, 11:11 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

John,

Did you have to have a Sales rep with you while looking at the 06s? When we were there we tried to get into a few Tiffin units but they were locked.