Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2021, 12:03 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

A/C unit upgrade?

I have a 2014 journey 34b with two 13500 tru air a/c top side. Can I replace them with 15000 btu ones ? Have 2000 w inverter. Any recommendations for the most quiet also ?
Weedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 03:12 PM   #2
Site Team

First... your inverter has nothing whatsoever to do with your roof mounted A/C units.

You might be able to replace 13.5K units with 15K units. The problem for you can be the thermostat. It's hard wired to your A/Cs and sometimes you can only use the exact same units as you are replacing.

You mentioned "True Air" but I thought those were the basement A/Cs on older Class A RVs... not roof top units.

Get the exact model numbers of each A/C and call the manufacturer and ask about this upgrade and compatibility with your thermostats.

FYI - there will not be a huge difference in cooling between 13.5k and 15K. It will use more power (amps) to power them but it's likely your RV has circuits set up to handle the extra amps.
Old 07-15-2021, 09:24 PM   #3
Site Team

These are much quieter, I hear, but are still 13,500. You may want to contact AirExcel on compatibility. Here's the sales pitch, but I've read a positive review of them, too.

"Delivering another tradition of QUIET comfort!
Making everyone a "happy camper" can be a challenge sometimes, but keeping it comfortable and QUIET is no problem for the MACH 10 DQ or NDQ. Trust us - not all environments are created equally, so it's important for us to to offer a unique series of effective, efficient and QUIET air conditioners. No matter which Coleman-Mach Quiet Series model you choose, you'll enjoy the quiet, efficient cooling - undisturbed from the moment you turn it on."

https://www.airxcel.com/rv/coleman-m...0-dq-ndq-ac-hp
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
upgrade