Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2005, 02:09 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

This pertains more towards basement units vs roof mounted A/C's.

Just had a A/C Tech to the house for a A/C problem. I have been dealing with him for a long time. He noticed an old filter that had the accordian type pleates and wire. He asked if that is what I was using. I said I was but I had the cheaper ones in place that is flat and a minimum amount of filtering material.

His response was "GOOD". He said that while the first type filtered the air more it also restricted air flow. The first type is about 7.50 each and the second is 4 for 2.35. Just
bought the cheaper ones for the Moho and while I know that it is a "trade off" (filtering vs air flow) I wonder if some of you may be "choking" the A/C in your coach thus not getting the amount of cooling you are looking for?

Good Miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 02:09 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

This pertains more towards basement units vs roof mounted A/C's.

Just had a A/C Tech to the house for a A/C problem. I have been dealing with him for a long time. He noticed an old filter that had the accordian type pleates and wire. He asked if that is what I was using. I said I was but I had the cheaper ones in place that is flat and a minimum amount of filtering material.

His response was "GOOD". He said that while the first type filtered the air more it also restricted air flow. The first type is about 7.50 each and the second is 4 for 2.35. Just
bought the cheaper ones for the Moho and while I know that it is a "trade off" (filtering vs air flow) I wonder if some of you may be "choking" the A/C in your coach thus not getting the amount of cooling you are looking for?

Good Miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 02:55 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I was advised the same way by an AC contractor, the cheaper ones areallow more air to flow which is what I'm after, . If the weather is moderate we open the windows , the screens only filter out pebbles.LOL

Retired Navy Mustang 06
2003 Winnebago 35U W22
Toyota Rav 4 Toad
Brake Buddy

Sugar & Spice our Shih-Tzus
Captain Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 10:44 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

At first I used the pleated filters, and noticed that the basement air was not getting the job done! So I went to a less restrictive
filter, one you can read the news paper thru!!
I know it is a trade off!

Just this morning I took some 3M trim adhesive and sprayed on the loose insulation on the duct
work. Next I am going to moniter the input and output temp.

Have read posts that say the air just gets weaker as the day go on and it will finally not keep up, {thats what mine is doing} but if you cycle it for just 5min. it will start to kool again. Tenn.Vol.
Old 07-19-2005, 02:02 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I was advised by the service manager at my dealer to always run the fan on high, since the basement air is prone to freezing up on the low speed. Slowly getting less cold and then working again after it's off for a while is consistent with freeze up.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:07 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

I went to Home Depot and bought the life time electrostatic filters. They are washable and are less restrictive. Merv 8 on the scale. You take them out once a month and wash them out with a hose dry and reinstall. So far after 2 months they are working great.

They cost 19.00 each. The only draw back is you have to cut them to size it takes about 30 minutes but I think it's well worth it.
Happy Miles, stay cool!
Trek-Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 09:41 PM   #7

.....buy the cheap blue filters and spray them with Dusting Spray that you use for furniture....change them often.....less restriction and cleanes the air before it gets to the evaperator....clean it twice a season with coil cleaner and compressed air.....geofkaye
Old 07-20-2005, 04:43 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Interesting post on types of filters for Basement A/C. I was beginning to think I was the only one that has ever been told not to use the "Filtrete" pleated filters in this unit. My service tech said the same thing, that pleated type restrict too much air. Use the old standard fiberglass models. I changed back and have had no further problems.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 08:41 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Another ideal, that just came to me,as I alwayas
run the A/C fan on HIGH. And may not be getting
enough air across the coils. I just checked,
the BED SPREAD is covering the air return under the bed! THe wife makes the bed EVER day when we are camping! Tenn.Vol.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:24 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

We also had trouble with the blankets sucking up against the filter on our 02 Journey----even tho my wife does a very good job of keeping them away from the inlet filter area I built a frame on the outside of the inlet area out of aluminum rod that allows air flow even if the blankets hang down.
Bob
rvrat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 02:59 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Hi Ho: Just for what it's worth, I used the pleated filters on my furnace/AC at home and the back pressure was so great they were blown out of the filter rack. Normal fiberglas filters work just fine.
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 05:37 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

I hear what you are saying but the Lifetime filters are NOT pleated at all. You can almost read a news paper through them but they do filter out more then the fiberglass ones. It's a flat filter.

It is a layered filter one electrostatic element on top then a thin foam pad and then another electrostatic filter element on the bottom. I haven't noticed any restriction in air flow at all. The air flow is not restricted as it was with the paper filters. Even in 105 * temp the central A/C works super! I'll stick to my new lifetime filters and reduce the dust and pollen clogging the condenser coils, thank you..

Old 07-21-2005, 04:44 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

I do not like any type of reuseable air filter. I like a use once and throw out filter, because of the chance of bacteria/virile growth (ie: legionaries disease) in a filter used for an extended period of time.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 11:44 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Tom N,
I hear you, but I'm very confident in my cleaning abilities. A little bleach and antibacterial cleaner goes a long way. If dust and dirt get into the condenser cooling fins, add a little dampness, and bacteria can grow more there then on the filter itself. I would like to prevent it before it happens.

I guess that's why there are many options and products for us to choose from.
Old 07-23-2005, 04:11 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

The reusuable filters claim to fame is the "electrostatic" feature. Since they are made of nylon and other synthetic materials which take on a charge by the air moving across the fibers. You know how you can take a nylon comb and run it on your pants and it will then lift your hair due to the static charge.

The self created static charge draws the dust particles to the mesh and locks them there. By washing you will remove the dirt. You do have to be careful to not use a detergent with a lot of glycrin of lanolin as it will coat the fibers and depelete the ability to load with dirt.

Ken
Old 07-24-2005, 11:52 AM   #16
Winnie-Wise

The filters are working great super air flow! The outdide temp was 103.7* with 15% Humidity and the inside temp was 76* not bad! Oh yes open campsite, direct sun with our coach facing WSW, no shade, parking lot.
The duct work was completely re-rapped with foil tape from top to bottom because of a shabby tape job by Winnebago factory I was ACing the outside for the first year!
I bet I'm not the only one that had or has a split Duct vent! They, the Factory only uses one piece of tape along the seem! Unreal!
Old 07-24-2005, 11:56 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Changed from the high end filter to the lowest end, and WOW what an improvement in air flow.

I still have the issue with the temperature rising during the day and the unit unable to keep up.

Any additional suggestions?

Do you guys let the RV Shops service the AC Unit or do you take it someplace else? If you are not at a Winnebago dealer they usually can't find the AC unit !!!
Old 07-24-2005, 01:11 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Lou,

I think the biggest problem is that Winnie uses the same AC unit for everything from the 32 footers all the way up to your 40 with various slide configurations. My 36 with 2 slides hasn't had a problem keeping up in any situation I've been in so far.

There is a recent topic on adding a roof air unit to a 40 footer and apparently it solved the problem very well. If you haven't seen that, it should still be on the 1st or 2nd page of forum topics. I'd certainly go that way if my unit didn't handle the FL heat so well...
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 04:31 PM   #19
iRV2 Marketing

I'm using a 3M Filtrete Filter and I'm satisfied with the performance that I get. Living in the motorhome full time we want the cleanest air possible. Now we did not get the high end Filtrete filter

Do I have to worry about restricted airflow with Filtrete filters?
Filtrete filters are designed to operate in most residential furnaces and air conditioning systems. If a Filtrete filter remains in use longer than three months, it may begin to restrict airflow or cause the system to malfunction. It also could restrict airflow in some higher efficiency/air conditioning systems. In this case, change the filter more frequently.

Filtrete Micro Allergen Filter

"˘ Captures:
- Airborne microparticles, including smoke and smog
- Airborne allergens, including pollen, pet dander, and mold spores
- Large particles like dust and lint
"˘ Lasts 3 months <---- MOST IMPORTANT
"˘ Meets the American Lung Association® Health House® Indoor Air Quality Guidelines
"˘ 3M - 1000 Microparticle Performance Rating, MERV 11
"˘ No unnecessary antimicrobial chemicals added; Filtrete filtering material will not support the growth of bacteria, mold, mildew or fungi in normal use

When it comes to the air that we breathe, there are no compromises. For more info about this filter click on this picture of the filter above.

Now here's another thing, after 3 years of ownership just today Colleen and I removed all 12 ceiling registers, 48 screws, washed, dried and restored the registers to their locations. They were pretty disgusting looking after 3 years. Not only are they clean but they look good as new. If I'm not mistaken we've never spoken about this on the board but I suggest the next time you're in your rig, look up!

When you put the registers back up don't use the existing holes they appeared to be stripped out and unusable. Screw into the ceiling material and make a new hole.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 02:44 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

In addition to the above post regarding the air registers....just make sure when you reinstall the registers they are 'aimed' in the same direction as you originally had them aimed to save you having to readjust the direction later.
While you have the registers off, the ducts should be blown out and vacumned to get them as clean as possible as well.

Full Time 2003 Journey DL
CaptChet is offline   Reply With Quote