Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2008, 04:49 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Not really a question, but an occurence that has gone unexplained. Scenaro - it is 2AM,
all is quiet in the campground,and my generator comes on. The heat pump is running, it is 38 degrees outside. Any thoughts on why this would occur? This is the 2nd time this has happened.
Pulley
PULLEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 04:49 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Not really a question, but an occurence that has gone unexplained. Scenaro - it is 2AM,
all is quiet in the campground,and my generator comes on. The heat pump is running, it is 38 degrees outside. Any thoughts on why this would occur? This is the 2nd time this has happened.
Pulley
Old 01-12-2008, 05:09 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Do you have an AGS (Auto Genset Start)? This would automatically kick on the Genset for several reasons.

Wife, 3 kids, and mother-in-law
Nathan Focht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 05:19 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Nathan, I am not sure what that is. I have had this unit for 5 years. How would I know if I had it? And what would be the reasons? Thanks for your response. Pulley
Old 01-12-2008, 06:36 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

It would depend on how yoru coach is setup. The AGS is used to auto start your Genset if your batteries get low. It will turn on to charge and then shut off once it charges the batteries. You can also set quiet time on it to not run at night. If you have had it for 5 years, I owuld guess that you do not have the AGS however.

Wife, 3 kids, and mother-in-law
Nathan Focht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 03:32 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

I seriously doubt if you have automatic generator start unless you added the feature - as fas as I know, Winnie has never offered that as an option.

One of the most cited reasons for spontaneous generator starts is water in the gen control wiring harness connector. Look for a connector near the front of the gen set with several wires going in/out of it. One end of the wiring bunch disappears in the gen set, the other end probably goes to your start/stop switch in the dash area.

Unplug the connector and clean the contacts, plug it back together and see if that fixed your problem.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 05:56 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

John, mine came with the onan ags from the factory.

Jim

Our Webpage
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 10:32 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jimandsue60:
John, mine came with the onan ags from the factory.

Jim </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Oh my goodness - I forgot about that! Winnie must have started that with the 2007 model year.

Thanks for the correction Jim.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 07:04 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

John,
Thanks for the heads up . I will give that a try at the next overnight.
After 25 years of motorhoming and 200,000 miles, this was a surprise to have this happen. I appreciate your feedback. Keith