Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-02-2021, 02:35 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

3 Quart Instant Pot While Boondocking

I know I'll have to run the generator. Unless we happen to be at a campground with hook-ups.
It's just the 2 of us and we are new to the Instant Pot. (Not at Boondocking). We know that there are many recipes that take less than 30 minutes. It is just the 2 of us and there are times when a Instant Pot meal would be nice. I know we would have to start the generator. But with a little planing and timing we could do a meal.
Anyone else do this? If so you got any hints and or recipes you wouldn't mind sharing? Thanks LeeB.
Old 05-02-2021, 03:19 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

When it's heating element is on it uses 700 watts. I have 4 golf cart batteries and 900 watts of solar panels in my RV and I use one when boondocking without running the generator.

Expect it to use full 700 watts for first 20 minutes, then about 33 % after that to maintain temp and pressure.
So, first hour it will use around 30 amp-hours, and then about 20 amp-hours per hour after that.

Can't be much help on recipes, I mainly use mine to cook browned pork with potatos and veggies.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 03:52 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I have a bigger brother, 8qt, but we don't boondock. However, don't be afraid to use it. An example is spare ribs in 30 minutes or less and for 2 people you would just cut a rack in half, or pieces, whatever will fit. Put you favorite rub on, place in pot, add some apple juice and apple cider vinegar (not necessary) and set for 23-30 minutes. Longer the cook the more fall of the bone they will be. When finished, place on a flat pan, put on BBQ sauce of choice and broil to glaze.

Just made some today. Go to YouTube and in the YouTube search bar just put in "Instant Pot" or "Instant Pot Recipes" without the quotes. Cut the ingredients for your size.

Happy trails!

p.s., you can also search on a specific item such as "3 qt Instant pot recipes."

Here is a little gem I got from somewhere: Recipe Converter
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 06:44 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Thanks so much...... I doubt we will ever try and use it unless the generator in running. Like I said we could time it for when batteries need charging........ We usually run it at least 1 hour anyway....
Thanks for the heads up on the 3qt Instant Pot....... and the ribs sound YUMMIE...
LeeB
Old 05-02-2021, 08:52 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I like looking at https://pressureluckcooking.com/ . He has some good recipes and presents his info nicely with a good followup video. But, he's not the only one. There are so many videos out there on the instant pot. No one recipe is etched in stone. You make it what you want or combine from several other recopies of the same thing to your liking.

I like cooking with the Instant Pot, Traeger, 36" griddle at the house and 22" Blackstone for the MH.
Old 05-09-2021, 04:16 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Take a look at my video about using the instant Pot in a RV. Click onto:
hintro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 04:21 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

It’s rare that most of us with generators actually use them. I get trying to not impact nature’s sounds, but it’s good for the generator to have good underload use from time to time!
Radioflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 08:10 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Hintro, good video.

I never boodock but the information should be helpful to others.
Old 05-09-2021, 09:48 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

We have a 6qt, and wow do I use it. Also a huge fan of PresureLuckCooking. Check him out on Youtube. His recipes are amazing. We used to boon dock more than we were in camp sites.
Old 05-09-2021, 11:36 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Soup is one of those 30 minute recipes. If you use dried beans, you can skip rinsing. Heads up - add the time to build up the pressure to the cook time. I had no clue there was a 3 quart. We have a 6 quart, but with space so precious, I'm going looking for the little one.
Lemonade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 10:21 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09busaman View Post
W[...]. Also a huge fan of PresureLuckCooking. Check him out on Youtube. His recipes are amazing. [...].

pressureluckcooking.com is my go to web site for the instant pot, but then I look at other similar recipes and merge some ingredients. Some recipes are made for changing or adding. I mean, what's the worse that can happen, DW saying, "Don't cook that again!"

Better not then!
Old 05-10-2021, 05:55 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemonade View Post
Soup is one of those 30 minute recipes. If you use dried beans, you can skip rinsing. Heads up - add the time to build up the pressure to the cook time. I had no clue there was a 3 quart. We have a 6 quart, but with space so precious, I'm going looking for the little one.
We love our little 3 qt. version. Going down the road with the generator running means dinner is ready as soon as we're set up!
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote