Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2022, 04:03 PM   #1
Site Team

2nd Catalytic Converter Stolen

I've had my second Cat theft from my 2017 Winnebago Adventurer. My storage place - with lights, cameras and set back off the road and out of sight - called with the bad news. My last Cat theft was 8/21.

This time the thieves were caught on camera - all hooded up with masks on their faces. They hit 6 RVs and a couple of cars that were parked in a couple of RV Spots.

They used the sawsall to cut through the fencing and a gang of three came in. The video shows it takes them 5 min or less per RV.

There was one gas powered Class C that was spared and the video shows them sliding under the RV and then quickly moving on. I looked under that RV and it had a Cat Strap installed on the converter and exhaust pipes. I didn't see any alarm or anything - just a strap so, I'm not sure it's this brand.

It looked like this: https://www.catstrap.net/product-pag...m-shown-coiled

It cost $2700 last time to replace it. My insurance paid all but $250. They're going to love me when I file this claim.
Old 06-29-2022, 04:59 PM   #2
Site Team

Sorry to hear they struck twice!!! I’ll look into the cap strap. Thanks for the idea and evidence it makes a difference!
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 05:48 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I think Cat protection should include a 50 Cal but that's why I would never run for an office. Endless RVing did a YT video on some different deterrents for Catalytic Converters. Crooks are basically lazy, so it seems anything that may get in their way convinces them to move on. As others have said so sorry for this happening yet again.

Old 07-02-2022, 07:20 PM   #4
Veteran RV Owner

State Legislatures need to crack down on this nonsense! You would think the insurance industry would be begging for help right now. Instead, we get screwed twice, once with a high premium to cover these losses, and again when we have to pay the deductible and wait our turn at the repair shop to get it repaired.
armullis59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 07:27 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Wow that just makes me mad to hear. At a time we are suppose to take pause for feel good to celebrate our nations Independence, we are whiffed by those that lack honor, and integrity of the American way. Thievery, corruption, seems to be growing nothing seems to happening to stop it.

When I first came to Dallas I had 82 Z28 Camaro with T - Tops. They were stolen one night; about $2k to replace. Insurance paid, but I had $500 deductible. 2 weeks after they were replaced, the new ones were stolen. At that time the T - Tops did not even have a lock. So as part of the cost to replace the second set, the Insurance company included $400 to install a aftermarket lock kit for my T - Tops. They were never stolen again.

This takes me to beginning, in a civilize non corruption, me, me, me society that can somehow muster up almost 1/2 billion dollars for 1 Athlete to play sports, you wonder why insurance companies could not negotiate a special price for the customers that have been insured with for at least 2 years. Customer should be allowed a rebate upon proof that the strap have been properly installed.

On a side note: Did you happen to learn if any stolen had been painted, or if any not stolen were painted?
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 08:09 AM   #6
Site Team

Mine had been painted orange, with high temp paint and SA PD stenciled on the sides. But recently the paint had faded to a light brown color.
Old 07-03-2022, 08:31 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
2nd Stolen Catalytic Converter Stolen
I know it's not what you meant, but this would seem to imply that you've installed two stolen catalytic converters that have then been stolen.
Old 07-03-2022, 05:50 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
2nd Stolen Catalytic Converter Stolen
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyocamper View Post
I know it's not what you meant, but this would seem to imply that you've installed two stolen catalytic converters that have then been stolen.
I am no English major, but isn't the 1st word "Stolen" an adjective of the noun Catalytic Converter, and the second word "Stolen" a Verb?

Think of this way... what if the statement was....
Quote: 2nd Orange Catalytic Converter Stolen.
Anyway, be glad it was not me, because I know how frustrated I would be "it aint no dam tellin wah my ingles mite luk lik, er say"
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 07-03-2022, 05:58 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Mine had been painted orange, with high temp paint and SA PD stenciled on the sides. But recently the paint had faded to a light brown color.
I think we painted about the same time. That bright red/orange did not last long as I had hoped.

August of last year (2021).
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210812_002014.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	185.5 KB
ID:	183432

This is what mine look like today (July 2022).
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220703_183259.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	194.7 KB
ID:	183433

I plan on calling my insurance company to see if they have had any change in policy to help get the Cat Strap?

When I finish the proactive work on driver side of hood mount, I am gonna heed your warning and try to do something to fight back on these Cat Thieves

Thank for the warning and video.
Old 07-03-2022, 11:10 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Until someone in authority kills the market for the precious metals they are selling, it will continue. Where I live I need all sorts of ID and background checks just to scrap a piece of copper. What is the orange paint and PD stencil supposed to do?
Old 07-04-2022, 06:30 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim myers View Post
Until someone in authority kills the market for the precious metals they are selling, it will continue. Where I live I need all sorts of ID and background checks just to scrap a piece of copper. What is the orange paint and PD stencil supposed to do?
It is an owner take action to try to do something to fight back at a cost of $20 ( two cans). This thread is the 1st time I actually had definitive proof that a painted one was stolen, but as we see from the pictures above, despite the fancy 2000 degree High Temp paint it does not last long. In my case DPD is Dallas Police Department. I will plan on repainting mine again; maybe as late as this Fall when temperatures are cooler.

Old 07-04-2022, 07:18 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

So according to the video, paint, protect, cover.

Paint - could it be repainted a dull gray to appear as not to have been stolen?

Protect - Would a high quality bolt cutter cut through the steel cable?

Cover - Probably the best one but the bolts holding the cover in would have to be grade 8 or better. Also, instead of 5 minutes it might take 7 or 8 minutes to cut 3 sides of the cover and pull it down to get to the converter.

I'm just thinking out-loud.

p.s., putting the car in the garage is the best yet. I just don't have room for 2 cars in my garage. DW keeps hers in there and heven forbid I try switching with her.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 08:09 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
So according to the video, paint, protect, cover.

Paint - could it be repainted a dull gray to appear as not to have been stolen?

Protect - Would a high quality bolt cutter cut through the steel cable?

Cover - Probably the best one but the bolts holding the cover in would have to be grade 8 or better. Also, instead of 5 minutes it might take 7 or 8 minutes to cut 3 sides of the cover and pull it down to get to the converter.

I'm just thinking out-loud.

p.s., putting the car in the garage is the best yet. I just don't have room for 2 cars in my garage. DW keeps hers in there and heven forbid I try switching with her.
The answers are yes, but maybe not.

Do you lock doors, could they break a window and still get in?
Do you take your keys with you, could they just tow the entire vehicle?
So you store and lock in garage, could they take a high quality saw and cut the garage door and take what they want?

Point, it was just some suggestions from HPD to try to take some action that you have a little control over versus waiting on government or someone else to protect you. Who is to say that my orange paint as not worked and that maybe if even has worked for OP previously, but this fateful night.
Old 07-05-2022, 12:54 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
I think we painted about the same time. That bright red/orange did not last long as I had hoped.

August of last year (2021).
Attachment 183432

This is what mine look like today (July 2022).
Attachment 183433

I plan on calling my insurance company to see if they have had any change in policy to help get the Cat Strap?

Thank for the warning and video.
I spoke with Progressive Insurance today. They do not offer any incentive, rebate or discount for RV Catalytic Converter Theft Prevention. So we are on our own.

I did notice that the Catstraps are now painted bright orange. Must be something about that color. It is not clear to me if 30' RV need the 7ft strap or if the 12' strap is needed. I also need to find out what it would cost to have one installed?
Old 07-05-2022, 03:05 PM   #15
Site Team

I meet with my Progressive rep tomorrow. And, I've already ordered the catstrap and it's on it's way to me now. I don't expect Progressive to pay for it. Heck, it costs less than my deductible and it might save me a lot of hassle in the future.

I hope to have the shop that installs the new Cat to install the strap, too. Or I'll do it myself. It's easy to do... from the videos I've seen.

Last time we were leaving on a big trip in about 10 days so I filed the claim and then I found a company to replace the Cat and then just told Progressive this is who is doing it and it will be done in two days.

Progressive was very good about that, they said OK and sent their appraiser to the shop I had picked and took care of everything with the shop.

This time I thought I'd let Progressive take more control over process. We don't leave on a trip until Labor Day.
Old 07-05-2022, 03:22 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I meet with my Progressive rep tomorrow. And, I've already ordered the catstrap and it's on it's way to me know. I don't expect Progressive to pay for it. Heck, it cost less than my deductible and it might save me a lot of hassle in the future.

I hope to have the shop that installs the new Cat to install the strap, too. Or I'll do it myself. It's easy to do... from the videos I've seen.
Did you get the 7 ft or 12ft?

Catstrap website was a tad confusing on Gas vs Diesel?

I worry that the alarm may be more trouble than it is worth?

Not to be nervous nanny, but I would love to see once installed. It seems like before when I looked at, I calculated that 9 ft is what I really needed. 7 ft would make it easier to cut just beyond the strap on engine side of catalytic converter and the opposite would make it the muffler but only by a few inches that they be able to work off the adhesive and then cut? Now granted if they did that it would 7 ft for the thief to haul off?
Old 07-05-2022, 03:27 PM   #17
Site Team

I went with the 7' (for Gas RV) and I skipped the alarm. No thanks.

The thinking is... sure it can be defeated and cut way before or way after the cat or they might get the adhesive off, etc BUT they obviously want quick and easy. I didn't see the video but the storage place manager said they were running and took less than 2-mins per RV. She said they got under the RV with the Cat Strap and just came right back out and went to the next gas RV.
Old 07-05-2022, 04:21 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
The answers are yes, but maybe not.

Do you lock doors, could they break a window and still get in?
Do you take your keys with you, could they just tow the entire vehicle?
So you store and lock in garage, could they take a high quality saw and cut the garage door and take what they want?

Point, it was just some suggestions from HPD to try to take some action that you have a little control over versus waiting on government or someone else to protect you. Who is to say that my orange paint as not worked and that maybe if even has worked for OP previously, but this fateful night.
As I stated, just thinking out-loud. There is not much that can be "exclusively secured." If someone wants it they will think of a way to get it. Once they get one they start to get others.

My Sticks & Bricks are secured with alarm systems. Only thing it gives me is peace of mind as I know that once a thief breaks in they will be gone in 5 minutes with a lot of electronic equipment. At least I can tell the insurance company I tried and here is the video of the masked thieves,
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 04:28 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Since you painted it orange ,when the thief got to the scrap yard ,they rejected it and he lost the sale . Might try going to a couple of yards and ask if yours showed up .
deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 06:01 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I went with the 7' (for Gas RV) and I skipped the alarm. No thanks.

The thinking is... sure it can be defeated and cut way before or way after the cat or they might get the adhesive off, etc BUT they obviously want quick and easy. I didn't see the video but the storage place manager said they were running and took less than 2-mins per RV. She said they got under the RV with the Cat Strap and just came right back out and went to the next gas RV.

I wonder why they don't have more length options. It is not like I can buy 12' and cut it down to 9' 7' may work but 8' or 9' would force them to cut the strap twice, or pry both free from muffler to the front side toward the engine.

I think I will get out my 2nd can of paint and use it now. Catstrap came out with the new orange color straps this year, maybe soon they offer new lengths? I may have to ask them.

Tags
converter, cat