Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2022, 06:07 PM   #21
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
As I stated, just thinking out-loud. There is not much that can be "exclusively secured." If someone wants it they will think of a way to get it. Once they get one they start to get others.

My Sticks & Bricks are secured with alarm systems. Only thing it gives me is peace of mind as I know that once a thief breaks in they will be gone in 5 minutes with a lot of electronic equipment. At least I can tell the insurance company I tried and here is the video of the masked thieves,
Pirates tell me to jump off the plank like a man... I will just stand there until they push me. Just trying to fight back in a resourceful way. I will apply my 2nd can of orange paint now; as I can conclude the 1st can was successful for me
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 11:55 AM   #22
Site Team

I met with the Progressive Insurance adjuster today at my RV. She said this has been happening everywhere. That I could move to a new Storage place, but the risk would be the same. I could store indoors but then the risk would be rodents eating wires and the interior furniture.

She actually told me that the big Camping World location in New Braunfels, 25 miles away was hit over a weekend last year and 72 catalytic converters were stolen over night. She said the Camping World paid for replacements for everyone of them. Quite surprising!

I took another look at the Class C that they skipped the night they stole mine and 6-others and it had the orange CatStrap running from the front Cat Flange back to the muffler. And, he did not have the alarm - or it was disarmed. He had no other preventative things installed.

The adjuster told me that she had heard that back orders were up to 6-months and that I should get any aftermarket one I could find.

I've called my shop that replaced it last August and they are checking on parts availability now.

At some point you'd think that some effective means of stopping this would start to made. It's got to be hundreds of millions of dollars in losses.
Old 07-06-2022, 02:06 PM   #23
Winnebago Master

How many inches or feet would you say the catstrap was attached to the muffler?

If I follow right, the thief could have cut the pipe on engine side of the flange with ease but would have struggled with cutting or peeling the epoxy off the muffler?

My RV is at home, so that helps a little. Also, I noticed a steel bracket on my that is bolted to frame in several places and welded in several places to my catalytic Converter just behind that flange. So Catstrap going out to that point may be a deterrent that I had not noticed before?

I repainted my Cat orange last night. It only took a 3rd of a can this time, so maybe I will do it again in 6 months.

BTW, I did NOT follow the Rustoleum instructions this time. I just sprayed it on and went to bed. No sanding, no curing, no nothing. Last time it was starting lose it color after 1st long trip, so how bad can it be to not cure?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220706_145410.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	173.2 KB
ID:	183471  
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 07-06-2022, 03:27 PM   #24
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
How many inches or feet would you say the catstrap was attached to the muffler?
The strap ran back to the muffler and then stopped at the muffler.

The thief would have had to cut the pipe at the front of the muffler and before the flange that connects the converter. And, that would have been a good 8 feet or so of pipe, etc for them to carry away.

Then no doubt he would have to remove the glue to remove the strap before trying to sell it.

It was just to much trouble - so he crawled under, saw the strap and popped back out to the next Gas RV which was only past the next 5th wheel.

I heard from my shop today - it may be a while. On some smaller Ford engines he has folks waiting over 6-months. But he says on the big F53 chassis those are becoming more available. They said they should know in 3 or 4 weeks about when to expect more stock available.
Old 07-06-2022, 04:50 PM   #25
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim myers View Post
I think Cat protection should include a 50 Cal but that's why I would never run for an office. Endless RVing did a YT video on some different deterrents for Catalytic Converters. Crooks are basically lazy, so it seems anything that may get in their way convinces them to move on. As others have said so sorry for this happening yet again.

50 cal sounds good to me
M1 Garand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 11:20 PM   #26
CZBB RV6A 2008 29R Sight

Here is what I did after a stolen cat.

Pictures are worth a thousand words
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	387BF120-18C5-4302-BE4A-5B26592DB862.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	290.2 KB
ID:	183475   Click image for larger version

Name:	4C1D9CC5-548C-4F74-8816-D845DB2ABF2C.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	251.5 KB
ID:	183476  

Old 07-09-2022, 06:57 PM   #27
Winnebago Master

It as been 4 days since I tried contacting Catstrap about option to get 8', 9' Catstrap. No one ever answered their phone, I sent email or question off the website 3 days but still no response.

In my case 9' would be perfect, but I think I need at least 8'. Yes 7' would work; but given what 7' is suppose to do, why not have 9'? I am sure install cost would the same and it may actually be easier assuming they can get a band around the muffler?
Old 07-09-2022, 07:07 PM   #28
Site Team

DK, I think it's a one or two man shop and they have what they have. From news reports in their town, they seem to be doing all they can to keep up with a huge demand.

So, maybe don't blame them taking not taking the time to answer the phone, or respond to special requests.

The way I see it is I could buy one of the two sizes they offer or find some other option. I think 7' is going to be plenty for my RV.
Old 07-09-2022, 07:17 PM   #29
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
DK, I think it's a one or two man shop and they have what they have. From news reports in their town, they seem to be doing all they can to keep up with a huge demand.

So, maybe don't blame them taking not taking the time to answer the phone, or respond to special requests.

The way I see it is I could buy one of the two sizes they offer or find some other option. I think 7' is going to be plenty for my RV.
That may explain it, I will stand down, maybe they respond next week? I am curious to know what they say. Surely, I cannot be the 1st to have asked them that question?

I can see the economics of because for them it is best for consumer to be on short side versus long side, because cutting down to size would be a pain. I bet even the 12' may be on short side for diesels?

Then again they may say they have a 8.5 footer around, who knows. But yes if I had to buy today, it would be 7 footer. Thus far I don't like any of the other options short the orange paint. If the city forces me to move my RV and I had to have RV storage, my perspective would change.
Old 07-11-2022, 04:36 PM   #30
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
It was just to much trouble - so he crawled under, saw the strap and popped back out to the next Gas RV which was only past the next 5th wheel.
That's the key statement, right there. If a thief wants what you have, you cannot stop them. You can, however, make yours a bit more difficult than the next one down the line. No different than a house and burglaries; you just need to make your house a slightly a less attractive target than your neighbor's.
Old 08-16-2022, 02:05 PM   #31
Site Team

Finally, after a 40-day wait my RV has a new Ford Catalytic Converter.

To my surprise the shop I use charged me $4,000+ for this one. My first was "only" ~$2,700. They said the part went up that much in price due to the massive demand.

I don't doubt my insurance company will pay it, but they were expecting $2,500 or so and have even already sent a check for $2,200 for my share minus deductible. I've not cashed the check yet and have asked them to send another $1,700 check to reflect the cost increase.

I also purchased a "Cat Strap" and had that installed at the same time. I could smell the adhesive on the strap as I drove the 22 miles home from the repair shop. But it seemed to just about be gone when I got home.

Here's a photo of the Cat Strap installed:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4435.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	210.2 KB
ID:	183830  
Old 08-16-2022, 04:45 PM   #32
Winnebago Master

Looks like a very professional catstrap installation.

Did they break out the install cost just for it?

I never heard back from Catstrap on whether it was possible to get a 8 or 9' catstrap. I will try one more time.

I am not saying the 7 ' will not work, but I would think that extra foot or two would be helpful.

I worry that Insurance companies are not very proactive on this issue. It may be a financial windfall for them if they are able to charge everybody more in rates? Yes they will have big bills, but like pro sports; we sometimes get fixated on what the Athletes make while the owners are raking home the real money.
Old 08-16-2022, 04:55 PM   #33
Site Team

Actually, they did not break out the Cat Strap install. It was just in the labor charge. So, that's good for me.

I wouldn't want anything longer. This one fit perfectly. From the flange where they usually make their first cut all the way to the muffler where they've made their 2nd cut - at least in the two Cats I had stolen.

Progressive has been super anytime I've had claims. I don't doubt they'll pay this extra amount. I'm not worried about it.

It's very nice driving a quiet RV without a gaping hole in the exhaust system.
Old 08-16-2022, 09:05 PM   #34
Site Team

Forty days out-of-service, $4,000 in repairs, and a lot of hassle! I am glad to know of the Catstrap by way of this forum, because that is a lot of pain and upset that I do not wish to endure.
Eagle5
Pictures of my Catstrap installed.
Perhaps the best $150 insurance policy I could buy.
Old 08-16-2022, 10:31 PM   #35
Site Team

Glad you have that behind you, and hopefully for the last time. Thanks for the photo of the CatStrap. I want one on our RV.
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 07:25 PM   #36
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I wouldn't want anything longer. This one fit perfectly. From the flange where they usually make their first cut all the way to the muffler where they've made their 2nd cut - at least in the two Cats I had stolen.
I am about to find out, they never ever returned any calls or emails, but if 7' works for you, I am on board. I rather go by your suggestion... A real RV owner dealing with this thievery nonsense) over the Mfg's anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnut View Post
Glad you have that behind you, and hopefully for the last time. Thanks for the photo of the CatStrap. I want one on our RV.
Your wish is about to come true for me I ran across a fellow RVer that had bought the Catstrap Bundle; but then downsize; so he was just looking to get rid of his brand new Catstrap Bundle. I expect to receive it tomorrow. The opportunity kind of just popped up so I have no plan in place to get it install yet, but Step 1 was to just get it. It comes with the 7' catstrap and the Cateye Siren alarm. Stay tuned to see how this goes for me.
Old 02-19-2023, 06:25 PM   #37
TowerRat

Unhappy Another SOB story…

Well, I stumbled on the thread because, they got me…. My 1998 Minnie Winnie, sitting 6 feet from my home got hit. I’m 15 miles out in the country, with family all the way around me, and they got me.

Local LA (that’s Lower Alabama, for you city folks) Law Enforcement are pi$$ed and working hard, more than 15 hits recently, in this area. But crime is never ending. I’m going with Cat-Strap, which has 40’ of high tensile cable to make their day difficult, LE says that ANYTHING that slows them down helps….

About $200
Old 02-19-2023, 06:51 PM   #38
Winnebago Master

I am so sorry to hear this, it is such a senseless crime, and working would be so much simpler and probably pay more than crime, I just don't get it.
Old 02-21-2023, 06:59 PM   #39
Winnebago Owner

As said until they pass a law preventing the purchase of a used cat or the metals contained in the cat we are not going to end this problem. Our RV is stored at landscapers yard. I stopped there today for my biweekly check. It was surrounded by a large puddle of mud. The yard owner asked if I want to move to higher and drier ground. I said nope the moat is working just fine.

I do hope they pass a law soon to end this mess.
Sparky19053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 07:28 PM   #40
TowerRat

Okay, I’m an idiot. I’ve got the Cat-CLAMP, not the Cat-Strap, and now I can’t remember how to edit….. dummy …..

Tags
converter, cat