Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-21-2023, 09:09 PM   #41
Site Team

Hi Bill,
The key is you have a cat-burglar after your cat, so whether it be a clamp or a strap no problems, as at least you are parked in a spot that is dryer than Sparky19053. Since Sparky is over a giant mud-puddle, he is going to need cat-litter to dry-up that water!
As far as editing any post, you have a limited time to do that. We have all been there!
Thanks, Eagle5
Old 02-22-2023, 09:48 AM   #42
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
I spoke with Progressive Insurance today. They do not offer any incentive, rebate or discount for RV Catalytic Converter Theft Prevention. So we are on our own.

I did notice that the Catstraps are now painted bright orange. Must be something about that color. It is not clear to me if 30' RV need the 7ft strap or if the 12' strap is needed. I also need to find out what it would cost to have one installed?
You can't generalize based on the length of the RV. It all depends on the accessibility of your converters. In my case, there are several feet of fully accessible exhaust pipe both in front and behind each of my two converters. In others, only a short length is accessible.

I haven't measured it but I'm not sure that even 12' is enough for mine. This is a function of my chassis (Workhorse), not the size of my rig. A Ford F53 could be completely different. You need to measure. Remember, thieves aren't limited to just cutting out the converter. They're just fine with cutting out upteen feet of exhaust pipe if that's what it takes.

It seems to me that painting or engraving a converter is an exercise in futility. It's not like they're being taken for resale to a legitimate junkyard or shop. They're sold to crime rings that dismantle them to remove the valuable metals. They're not going to care if it's orange or not. Making the cat strap orange to stand out is another thing altogether.

Also, someone mentioned the need to pass a law. There are laws against this, just like there are laws against drug trafficking and drug trafficking is still pervasive despite ongoing efforts.

Here's an article on a multistate 11/22 bust: https://www.latimes.com/california/s...-investigation
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 10:04 AM   #43
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
You can't generalize based on the length of the RV. It all depends on the accessibility of your converters. In my case, there are several feet of fully accessible exhaust pipe both in front and behind each of my two converters. In others, only a short length is accessible.

I haven't measured it but I'm not sure that even 12' is enough for mine. This is a function of my chassis (Workhorse), not the size of my rig. A Ford F53 could be completely different. You need to measure. Remember, thieves aren't limited to just cutting out the converter. They're just fine with cutting out upteen feet of exhaust pipe if that's what it takes.

It seems to me that painting or engraving a converter is an exercise in futility. It's not like they're being taken for resale to a legitimate junkyard or shop. They're sold to crime rings that dismantle them to remove the valuable metals. They're not going to care if it's orange or not. Making the cat strap orange to stand out is another thing altogether.

Also, someone mentioned the need to pass a law. There are laws against this, just like there are laws against drug trafficking and drug trafficking is still pervasive despite ongoing efforts.

Here's an article on a multistate 11/22 bust: https://www.latimes.com/california/s...-investigation
Painting may not have a lot of value, but I would not call it an exercise in futility? Thus far I have heard of only one case where a painted was stolen. I know there are more painted stolen; but for a can of $7 spray paint, and 5 minutes it was very easy to do; when you are otherwise helpless.

When I spoke with Cat Strap about my concerns with length of cat strap, they surprised me by sending me a rare 3 ft piece of cat strap that was factory painted orange I now have a 3ft and 7ft piece Cat Strap along with the Cat Eye Alarm. I am good now and really like the Cat Straps & Alarm, I installed all of it myself.

FWIW, the paint does tell the thief a little something something about the owner. The thief may have to think, what else did this owner do?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220905_191707.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	192.7 KB
ID:	185214  
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 10:11 AM   #44
Site Team

When my 2nd one was stolen the police told me that even if they pull over a truck with 200 Catalytic Converters in the back they can't do anything to the driver.

See, when something is stolen you have to have a victim of the theft and the victim has to be proven to be the valid owner of the stolen item. Since this isn't possible with certainty with a catalytic converter the police have their hands tied. They have to catch the thief under the car doing the crime at that time.

Laws are being passed in every state. Most make it difficult to sell a catalytic converter without proof of ownership and/or illegal to buy a used one as well.

Of course, this will work pretty well for the non-professional thieves. But the really big time thieves will just risk the penalties and keep on stealing - as long as the money is there.

There will be unintended consequences - Cats do wear out and need to be replaced legitimately. The new laws will make that pretty onerous. Kind of like buying strong cold medicine at the drug store now.

Wasn't that supposed to stop crooks from buying enough cold medicine to make Meth? Has that worked - seems like there's still plenty of that out there?

Quote:
The Combat Methamphetamine Epidemic Act of 2005 has been incorporated into the Patriot Act signed by President Bush on March 9, 2006. The act bans over-the-counter sales of cold medicines that contain the ingredient pseudoephedrine, which is commonly used to make methamphetamine.
Old 02-22-2023, 10:15 AM   #45
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Painting may not have a lot of value, but I would not call it an exercise in futility? Thus far I have heard of only one case where a painted was stolen.
After my first theft my second one was painted and marked SAPD when it was stolen from my RV.

I have the cat strap now.

The last time my storage lot was hit - the only gas RV that didn't suffer a theft was one with a cat strap.
Old 02-22-2023, 10:34 AM   #46
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
After my first theft my second one was painted and marked SAPD when it was stolen from my RV.

The last time my storage lot was hit - the only gas RV that didn't suffer a theft was one with a cat strap.
You are the one exception that I knew about where a painted one was stolen, and you also were of motivation to get serious about the Cat Strap.

FWIW it was the Houston PD officer in video in thread earlier that may me buy the Spray Paint.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 02-22-2023, 06:45 PM   #47
Winnebago Owner

Eagle 5,,, I paid extra for the water feature. And I like the lake effect. Hopefully by April or early May it will dry up just in time to hit beach parks that we have reservations for.
Sparky19053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 06:46 PM   #48
CZBB RV6A 2008 29R Sight

IMHO. You got the best one.
Old 02-22-2023, 09:06 PM   #49
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky19053 View Post
Eagle 5,,, I paid extra for the water feature. And I like the lake effect. Hopefully by April or early May it will dry up just in time to hit beach parks that we have reservations for.
I hear this guy has never lost a cat, but I have also heard that cats don't like water.
Old 02-27-2023, 11:56 PM   #50
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post

Mine was also bright orange, engraved, and stolen
Old 02-28-2023, 06:24 AM   #51
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by danhannah View Post
Mine was also bright orange, engraved, and stolen
Sorry to hear of your stolen property.

The point on painting may be the differential. Not to say paint prevents all thefts. The actual data may show % painted stolen less than % not painted. They certainly do not steal more as a % that are painted Similar goes for cat straps I am sure some are stolen too.

Tags
converter, cat