Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2020, 09:28 PM   #1
Newbies LOL!!

2020 View: Purchasing and need opinion on RUST issue

Hello! I’m new to this forum and need some advice on a newly found problem that was detected just prior to purchasing this slightly used View. In the picture, you’ll see a trail of rust coming down next to the A pillar on the driver side where the cab meets the overhead. We haven’t finalized this transaction yet and the owner was forthright enough to point this out to me. The RV is only four months old and the dealer they bought it from, La Mesa RV in Sacramento, is saying that it might have to go back to Winnebago to be repaired and they’re waiting for final word on that. I believe the house needs to be separated from the chassis to get to the source of the rust and that’s why it may need to go back to the factory. Another option is to get to it from the inside. Now I’m concerned about going through with this transaction. Any thoughts?
Thanks,
John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	901516EC-A6F5-43EA-ABF7-ACACC32136DE.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	189.7 KB
ID:	175230  
Old 09-30-2020, 09:56 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
- will the warranty transfer to you?
- why is the owner selling?

me? i'd walk.

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 10:27 PM   #3
Newbies LOL!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
- will the warranty transfer to you?
- why is the owner selling?

me? i'd walk.
Thanks for replying.
Yes, warranty does transfer to new owner. It’s only four months old.
Owner lives in CA and bought it to visit family in TN. They went once and decided to move there so won’t be using it any longer. Very honest and straight up. He pointed this out to me.
Old 10-01-2020, 07:47 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Weren't there reports of some 2020 Views having water leaks in the overcab area?

While the View may have been owned for only 4 months - it's likely been much longer since the View was manufactured.

Recommend checking the build date - I believe the build date is located on the OCCC label.

Since unsold RVs are usually stored outside, that means the RV has been exposed to weather much longer than 4 months.

Our View is a 2021 model - and was built in February 2020. So a 2020 View would have been built before then, which means the OP's View is at least 9 or 10 months old.

And if there's a water leak - it's been much more than 4 months with that leak...

It's possible they can fix the leak without having to separate the coach from the chassis. It probably would require removing the overcab decking to access the area from inside the coach and sealing it.

Though the trail of rust could be a concern - which might indicate there has been damage, which could include the electronics in the top of the cab (the controls by the rear view mirror).

Recommend calling Winnebago's customer care group and discuss this with them before making the purchase. And if the OP does purchase the View, should plan to take it to Winnebago to have them fix the issues.
rprochnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 08:08 AM   #5
Newbies LOL!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rprochnow View Post
Weren't there reports of some 2020 Views having water leaks in the overcab area?

While the View may have been owned for only 4 months - it's likely been much longer since the View was manufactured.

Recommend checking the build date - I believe the build date is located on the OCCC label.

Since unsold RVs are usually stored outside, that means the RV has been exposed to weather much longer than 4 months.

Our View is a 2021 model - and was built in February 2020. So a 2020 View would have been built before then, which means the OP's View is at least 9 or 10 months old.

And if there's a water leak - it's been much more than 4 months with that leak...

It's possible they can fix the leak without having to separate the coach from the chassis. It probably would require removing the overcab decking to access the area from inside the coach and sealing it.

Though the trail of rust could be a concern - which might indicate there has been damage, which could include the electronics in the top of the cab (the controls by the rear view mirror).

Recommend calling Winnebago's customer care group and discuss this with them before making the purchase. And if the OP does purchase the View, should plan to take it to Winnebago to have them fix the issues.
Agreed. The seller will take care of this prior to finalizing. Winnebago is involved at this point and they’re deciding on whether or not it needs to go to the factory for the repair. The seller is firm on $120K; full paint, diesel gen and dual pane windows. Does not have the Premium Plus cab with Distronic, etc. it is the Limited Edition. My thought is if it needs to go back to the factory for repair, we’ll walk away.
Thanks for all of the replies.
Old 10-01-2020, 08:23 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

If this was our View, we'd be more comfortable taking it back to the factory than having any of the dealers do the service, even if Winnebago indicates this can be addressed by a dealer's service team.

If Winnebago has this issue with multiple 2020 Views, then they should have a good understanding on what's wrong, how to correct it and the likely extent of any water damage.

I'd make the assessment of local dealer vs. Winnebago service based on their explanation and the extent of the work required.

We have a rattle in the overcab bunk area above the driver. The rattle goes away if we have anything stored in the bunk (which is all of the time when we're on a trip), so fixing this issue isn't urgent.

However, to fix the problem will likely require removing the overcab bunk decking, and possibly the wall/ceiling coverings - and that's work we may decide is best done by the factory and not by a dealer.

The factory warranty is only for 12 months/15K miles - we've already put almost 7K miles on our View since we picked it up in early June, so when we get this issue repaired, we want it done right - and not have another issue in the same area pop up after the factory warranty expires.
Old 10-09-2020, 08:18 AM   #7
'21 View 24J

Hi - I can support the discussion on overhead bunk leaks in the new sleeper shell on recent Views. Last fall we were all set to purchase a 2020 View off of the lot, and set up a routine test drive. Making the turn to get it out of the dealership's parking lot, I was hit with a "shower" from the overhead bunk area. Quite a bit of water initially, then a fairly consistent draining of the water whenever we made a turn. Looking later, it appeared the water was trapped in the bunk area, and cab headliner.

The new sleeper deck is designed to be leak proof, but it still relies on a good caulking job where the deck meets the coach on the roof.

The dealer had a look at what was going on, and decided that the factory caulking on the roof seam was not up to snuff. They planned on redoing the caulking and replacing the water stained components up in the deck area. They would not show us the caulking job that was in question, nor would they discuss what they knew about the problem based on conversations with Forest City, ... so we opted to pass on that unit.

All that to say - I'm pretty sure Winnebago has experience with the problem. I'd support the opinion that having it return to the factory would be in your best interest. A dealer might be able to stop the leak, but I doubt if they would take care of the rust issue to your long term satisfaction. I too would be surprised if a dealer could take care of what needs to be done on top of the chassis cab, from a rust perspective.

The View is a beautiful coach and the one we were aiming for, so we ordered one instead. It took 10 months for a 2021 to arrive, and you can be sure we tested it for leaks before we closed, but we are quite pleased with ours so far. We've had quite a bit of rain up here this fall, so we consider the field testing complete!

Best of luck, Cheers,
Ontario Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 08:53 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

In our 21VD, we don't have any leaks (so far) - but we do have a rattle in the overcab bunk area over the driver.

Removing the overcab platform requires disassembly of that area (the platform is also taped to keep it in place) - so while the rattle is likely easy to fix, getting to that area could be challenging - and not something I'm comfortable in doing or having a dealer do.

So we're planning to make a trip to Iowa City before we hit 15K miles and have the factory service team fix the problem - who should get it right the first time.

For now, as long as we place some weight in the overcab bunk, the rattle disappears, so we can live with it for another 7000 miles...
Old 10-09-2020, 09:08 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

As others have said, have the current owner send it to the factory for fixing- they pr
obably have seen this problem before and know how to deal with it. The after it is fixed, if you can wait that long, buy it.

But is $120K such a great deal for a one year old (in model years) View? Maybe in today's hot market but by the time it is repaired, maybe not. This view has a MSRP of what $160K? Take 30% off in a normal market and another $10K for one year market depreciation and you get about $100K. Adjust for actual new MSRP.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 11:58 AM   #10
Newbies LOL!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidM View Post
As others have said, have the current owner send it to the factory for fixing- they pr
obably have seen this problem before and know how to deal with it. The after it is fixed, if you can wait that long, buy it.

But is $120K such a great deal for a one year old (in model years) View? Maybe in today's hot market but by the time it is repaired, maybe not. This view has a MSRP of what $160K? Take 30% off in a normal market and another $10K for one year market depreciation and you get about $100K. Adjust for actual new MSRP.

David
True. This unit has full paint, 3200 diesel and dual pane windows. Not a screaming deal, but fair, IMO. Others like it are going for as much as $140 to the uninformed buyers in this hot market. It appears that they have a handle on the repair and are giving us a 5 year extended warranty on top of this. I too would prefer a factory repair but we’re giving this a chance.
Thanks everyone for all of your input!!
John
Old 10-16-2020, 11:10 PM   #11
Newbies LOL!!

Well, we are not owners of this 20VV after all. It got repaired and the sellers told me they were getting an extended warranty at no charge because of the rust problem and the inconvenience that was caused. But then, I got a text from the seller that the price just went up $10,000 to $130,000. We’ve been waiting on them for two months and they did that. I’m glad I never finalized any deal with these folks now. There’s probably more wrong that wasn’t disclosed. And I’m sure they’ll disclose the prior rust problem with the new buyers, right? I think they only disclosed it to me because they felt they underpriced it and hoped we’d back out so they could re-list it for more. Okay...start the search again! This time though, it’ll be the full featured chassis and not the Limited Edition. Probably a 2021 when inventory starts building up again. Could be a while though.
Old 10-17-2020, 11:05 AM   #12
'21 View 24J

Sorry to hear that John.
Hang in there, I think it will be worth the search.

Cheers,
Ontario Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 04:33 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFlyer View Post
Well, we are not owners of this 20VV after all. It got repaired and the sellers told me they were getting an extended warranty at no charge because of the rust problem and the inconvenience that was caused. But then, I got a text from the seller that the price just went up $10,000 to $130,000. We’ve been waiting on them for two months and they did that. I’m glad I never finalized any deal with these folks now. There’s probably more wrong that wasn’t disclosed. And I’m sure they’ll disclose the prior rust problem with the new buyers, right? I think they only disclosed it to me because they felt they underpriced it and hoped we’d back out so they could re-list it for more. Okay...start the search again! This time though, it’ll be the full featured chassis and not the Limited Edition. Probably a 2021 when inventory starts building up again. Could be a while though.
If you can wait for a spring 21’ delivery and are willing to travel or walk away from a dealer new Views can still be gotten for ~30% off
37NG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 07:43 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

It's also likely threre will be a wave of very lightly used RVs on the market by those who bought RVs due to COVID and decides RV life wasn't for them...
Old 10-18-2020, 08:37 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Walk away!..There are others with no issues..If this one did go back to the manufacturer it will be gone for 3 or 4 months or more...no deal...
Reniram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 10:21 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rprochnow View Post
It's also likely threre will be a wave of very lightly used RVs on the market by those who bought RVs due to COVID and decides RV life wasn't for them...
Yes they are, and having been bought at higher prices than should have been paid and are now being listed at or near the same price a new one could be bought for (or close enough where the calculus of getting a new one for just a little bit more makes sense)
Old 10-18-2020, 10:36 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

At some point, supply and demand will balance out.

Until then, dealers will be selling new RVs at a lower discount and used RVs will be priced higher.

For now, both new and used (especially recently purchased) RVs are going to be priced higher than usual.

Assuming we make progress on COVID next year, prices should come back down to normal - and could actually dip for a while if there is an oversupply.
Old 10-18-2020, 05:04 PM   #18
Newbies LOL!!

Thanks everyone for your replies. We’re actually increasing our search to include 2020VD instead of just V. What do you all think of full paint as opposed to without? There’s a 2020 D for sale with 2,500 miles, no upgrades including no full paint and it does have the fully loaded chassis for $120K. It’s at a dealer.
Old 10-18-2020, 07:00 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFlyer View Post
Thanks everyone for your replies. We’re actually increasing our search to include 2020VD instead of just V. What do you all think of full paint as opposed to without? There’s a 2020 D for sale with 2,500 miles, no upgrades including no full paint and it does have the fully loaded chassis for $120K. It’s at a dealer.
Paint is $8120 on a new build. You could get a new 21’ with paint for less than $128K if you work a good deal. This means a NEW without paint could conceivably go for <$120K with a full warranty. Of course it’s there now where you’d be waiting until probably March for the 21’ to arrive.

I guess it depends on what it would really sell for, and if you need to use it over the winter. Paint will look nice for much longer with much less maintenance
Old 10-21-2020, 03:08 PM   #20
Newbies LOL!!

So here's the latest: A 2020 Navion V became available with full paint (Bay Mist and that's what we wanted) and only 2,100 miles on it. Those are all but a few delivery miles from Iowa. It was purchased July 30th of this year so it's only 3 months into warranty. The RV has never been used and the toilet has never even been flushed! Elderly couple bought it to visit family when COVID hit thinking they wouldn't be able to fly anywhere. Bought it for $105K.

Tags
rust