Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-15-2020, 03:14 PM   #61
Winnebago Master

^^^ Yep!
Old 09-15-2020, 03:40 PM   #62
Winnebago Camper

My dealer is less than 3 miles away ! i WILL never GO BACK TO THIS CLOWN ! i would rather burn mine than go back to FLAGG RV where we bought it ! I brought mine to another dealer 5 hrs away ! Lets see how this goes ! If it doesn't work out we WILL be claiming LEMON LAW !
Tom Ficca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 03:51 PM   #63
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdIAm View Post
I just ordered the Navion 24D last week.
I’m wondering if I made a mistake.
Ed.
Rethinking his decision.
Ed, when thinking about this, the decision is not will it be a mistake to buy a Winnebago, but will it be a mistake to purchase any RV. As has been pointed out previously, ANY RV from any manufacturer can be trouble free, plagued with problems or anywhere in between.

If you want an RV then you are all set. If you don’t want any problems then you don’t want an RV.

You can help make things go well by taking the time to learn about all the systems and then spending many hours (6+ hrs) going over every system and every inch of the RV you’re getting with the dealer prep person BEFORE you sign on the dotted line.

Anything less and you will be short changing yourself right from the start.
Old 09-15-2020, 04:10 PM   #64
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Ficca View Post
My dealer is less than 3 miles away ! i WILL never GO BACK TO THIS CLOWN ! i would rather burn mine than go back to FLAGG RV where we bought it ! I brought mine to another dealer 5 hrs away ! Lets see how this goes ! If it doesn't work out we WILL be claiming LEMON LAW !
Good luck with the new dealer. Most of us are much happier never going to any dealer for service. We either fix it ourselves or find a trustworthy independent repair person/shop.

And, just so you know... Lemon Laws apply to automobiles not RVs.
Old 09-15-2020, 05:48 PM   #65
Winnebago Camper

I am just trying to get some need warranty work done . Other wise I do ALL my service and repair work. Retired class 8 truck mechanic .
Old 09-15-2020, 06:31 PM   #66
Site Team

That’s the point Tom, warranty work completed by the dealer will still drive you crazy. Is it that important?
Old 09-16-2020, 04:18 AM   #67
Winnebago Camper

It is ! I have had electrical issues and water leak issues from the very first day ! In particular the inverter has been replaced due to a in the wall water leak from the shower valve , and am having issues with the replacement one again. It's big money things like this is why it goes back to the dealer ! With what we have invested in this coach why should I FORK out the money ! Let Winnebago pay for it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-16-2020, 06:23 AM   #68
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Good luck with the new dealer. Most of us are much happier never going to any dealer for service. We either fix it ourselves or find a trustworthy independent repair person/shop.

And, just so you know... Lemon Laws apply to automobiles not RVs.
In some states the lemon law could applied but Creativepart is correct on Rhode Island from what I can see "The Rhode Island lemon law covers any “motor vehicle”, defined as an automobile, truck, motorcycle, or van with a registered gross vehicle weight of less than 10,000 pounds. ... The lemon law covers used vehicles but does not cover motorized campers." IMHO "Motorized Camper" to me means Motorhome. Also if I recall any lemon law requires you to go back multiple times to the same dealer for the same repairs in order to claim even a car a "lemon". Like many have said you have to either be rich, handy or both or even crazy to own a MH or other expensive RVs. Some are lucky have very few problems, others fix there's while still others push the dealer. I've pushed the dealers over the few years on my Motorhome's major issues and I fixed the easy things myself. I felt I was frustrated though successful on those fronts. The forum offers a lot of experience and great help as well as advice but in the end only you can decide the path you chose..
1237dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 08:28 AM   #69
Site Team

Quote:
It is ! I have had electrical issues and water leak issues from the very first day ! With what we have invested in this coach why should I FORK out the money ! Let Winnebago pay for it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please understand, I’m not trying to make you angry. You’ve got to handle things the way you see fit. Honest, I was hoping to offer a suggestion that would provide less frustration.

I truly hope your new dealer takes care of everything and gets you back on the road as quickly as possible.
Old 09-16-2020, 11:22 AM   #70
Winnebago Owner

Quote:

If you want an RV then you are all set. If you don’t want any problems then you don’t want an RV.
So true.

I've had 4. They are all plagued with shoddy design and amateurish, sloppy construction in some way or another.

It's a collection of third party, lowest bidder hardware sub-systems, taped and stapled and screwed together and wrapped in silk and tied with a bow. They are all essentially designed to get a "yes" from the wife, for spending a huge gob of money.

When you see the DIY RVs that guys build, they are nothing like the commercial RV. Guys choose top-of-line components, over do the construction strength, and eliminate most of the non-essential decor.
DesertRatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 06:12 PM   #71
Winnebago Camper

Just to be clear ! This is my 6th rv and 2nd pusher ! I have had much better built RV's much older than this ! I am NO rookie !
Old 09-16-2020, 06:15 PM   #72
Site Team

Quote:
Just to be clear ! This is my 6th rv and 2nd pusher ! I have had much better built RV's much older than this ! I am NO rookie !
Got it Tom. Again, really hoping for a great outcome with your new dealer repair.
Old 09-16-2020, 06:32 PM   #73
Winnebago Master

Quote:
! If it doesn't work out we WILL be claiming LEMON LAW !
Is there a Lemon Law for RVs where you are? I have never heard of one in Arizona.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 06:33 PM   #74
Winnebago Camper

Yes !
Old 09-16-2020, 07:18 PM   #75
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Yes !
Ok, not that it will impact me since I don't live in Rhode Island but are you saying you bought the Rig in RI? and if so if you have any proof that they have a lemon law for Motorhomes, when everything I've found on the DMV site of which I previously quoted, and now a buddy that lives there who owned a Class A's for many years say that they don't have one. Now my buddy would like me to send the info to him since he's thinking of buying another one soon and is concerned about quality with everything going on. I told him my only guess is you bought it in another state that might have it. I'm just trying to help him but he sent me this site for the Attorney General's Office site with the same information I had found earlier. I hope there is protection for those that have so much problems. I feel the pain with my last 2018 FR Georgetown in the shop the first year more than it was out. In fact the 3 yrs. I owned it it spent probably better than 50% in the shop or down because of repetitive faults with the slides and AC units. My Dealer and FR after hearing me pushing it up the ranks in both the Dealership and FR places would work on it even after the warranty period expired. Finally got everything squared away and decided to move up to a DP but I couldn't let anyone else inherit my issues so I wanted to get them fixed once and for all. Moved to Florida and FR Director set me up at a private shop and we all conversed on the issues and they were fixed, working like a charm and no cost to me, just a few years off my life with the frustration and stress every time we took it out. Anyway good Luck.
And here's the link he sent me. HTTPS://www.ri.gov/search/result.php?q=lemon%20law
Thanks and keep us informed
Old 09-17-2020, 04:13 AM   #76
Winnebago Camper

It appears I have been misinformed . R.I. lemon law does not cover motorhomes
Old 09-17-2020, 06:42 AM   #77
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
It appears I have been misinformed . R.I. lemon law does not cover motorhomes
Sorry but don't give up maybe this other dealerships service is better than you previous one. Like I said keep pushing it up the management ranks not just at the dealership but at the manufacturer. Make it more patable for them, by showing them you'll fix the annoying little things but the larger items you need them to fix them. Though this is very frustrating and I wanted to scream at the top of my lungs at them IMHO for them too listen just be stern, have the facts, read as much at the forum and online so your educated on these issues and keep pressing onward. I bugged them continually and it did pay off. You can a wide variety of forums fir every manufacturer of RVs out there and you'll find lots of complaints but as in this thread you'll get a variety of opinions on how they handled it, some fix them all, some of them less and some push the dealer. There's also many that have very few issues, call it luck or whatever. Keep pushing and IMHO the more you know the better off you are. Thanks
Old 05-19-2021, 09:38 AM   #78
Winnebago Owner

RV's are like a box of chocolates

You hit the nail on the head when it comes to what to expect as far as problems with RV's goes. I bought my first new Winnebago in July 2000 and it was a learning experience year after year. We joined the WIT club and went to monthly local chapter meetings and learned so much from other members. I really didn't know what to expect to start with but found out things fail, but can be fixed and the life experience with this lifestyle is well worth it. We had our 2000 Itasca Horizon 36ft diesel pusher for 14 years and over 80,000 miles. It was a great coach. Good luck with your decision. One thing I didn't expect when we started RVing was the friendship of others you will meet along the way. Jim

Quote:
Ed, when thinking about this, the decision is not will it be a mistake to buy a Winnebago, but will it be a mistake to purchase any RV. As has been pointed out previously, ANY RV from any manufacturer can be trouble free, plagued with problems or anywhere in between.

You can help make things go well by taking the time to learn about all the systems and then spending many hours (6+ hrs) going over every system and every inch of the RV you’re getting with the dealer prep person BEFORE you sign on the dotted line.

Anything less and you will be short changing yourself right from the start.
Old 05-21-2021, 01:08 PM   #79
Winnie-Wise

With RV sales up by more than 30% in 2020 the manufacturers had to hire more employees and so untrained and unskilled people who could fog a mirror were no doubt added to the production lines. Winnebago has compounded the problem by making changes year to year where it was not needed for the performance of the RV.

There is also the expected desire for a manufacturer that can only produce a finite number of RVs to want to have them be as expensive as the market can bear and that means more components and more complex wiring and plumbin and installation (and servicing) and more places where either corners were cut or where the production people lacked the knowledge to install equipment properly. Difficult to improve qualtiy control with the design and components change from one year to the next.

It is wrong to say that all manufacturers are the same when it comes to quality control and design and performance. Leisure Travel Vans is better in nearly every respect than Winnebago and this is reflected in the waiting list for buyers that is 3 times as long as those for a Winnebago.

I expect problems with our Navion and we have the funds to cover any repair but that still leaves the potential for the RV being out of service or having a problem while on a trip and a great distance from our home.

I would certainly avoid a completely new motorhome such as the Ekko and let others be the pioneers or guinea pigs for Winnebago.
Elkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 01:40 PM   #80
Winnebago Master

Respectfully, even though we've had a few issues with our 21D, overall, we are very pleased with the features and overall quality - plus with the quality of support we've received from Winnebago, Lichtsinn RV and Kerrville RV.

Could WBO do better? Absolutely - but that doesn't impact the satisfaction we have with our View.

All manufacturers are having significant challenges right now. Rehiring staff for many places has been very difficult - especially when trying to get qualified people. This is compounded by shortages due to manufacturing shutdowns and not enough transportation to move the products.

In the near term, manufacturers will likely end up paying more for components - which is why the industry has eliminated the price protection for now. And they may have to find alternative products when their primary choices aren't available (like Coleman A/C replaced by GE).

Winnebago only made minor changes between 2020 and 2021 models and again in 2022. The biggest change they made that might have a significant impact is shifting from the solar panels from flex to rigid. Though I'm not too concerned because there is a 10 year warranty on the roof skin. Other than that, I haven't noticed any significant changes to the overall View/Navion design since 2020.

We looked closely at the LTV Unity and Wonder models, and we agree they have some very nice features. However, they've elected not to have an overcab bunk in their floor plans. And they don't have a floor plan like the 24D - with more floor space, dining space and sleeping options. Another disadvantage is that they are a smaller manufacturer. They produce fewer units each year - which causes their long waitlist - plus they don't have many dealer locations to view units in person or get LTV service. But, they do great videos and the floor plans do have some nice features...

There isn't a right decision on picking between new vs. used for purchases. Each has benefits. With a new unit, you get the factory warranty for the first year/15K miles, so if there are problems, they'll get fixed. With a used unit, (most of) the obvious problems should already have been fixed, but unless you know the prior owner(s), you don't know how they've cared for the coach or if there are issues they aren't reporting - and in exchange for that, you'll get a lower price than new (though right now, used prices are also going up).

As for buying brand new models in their first model year - that's always a risk - for any product from any manufacturer - even when we aren't dealing with a pandemic. Brand new models may have issues that were missed during design and testing - that get fixed when the first production units are actually used - like the leak WBO fixed over the cab in the 2020 View/Navions.

But, if one of the models is in a floor plan customers want - providing something not available from other models/floor plans - then it may be worth the risk of having issues in the first year in order to get something that's closer to meeting goals. Plus, even if there are issues - the manufacturer should fix them - just require a little more service time than a more mature model...

As for factory workmanship issues - what's especially important right now is to have some place that you can go to get your RV service after purchase. So if you do have problems, you'll know you'll get the support you need.

When we purchased our View from Lichtsinn, we knew we had two WBO dealerships in town where we thought we'd be able to get local service. Since this was our first RV, we didn't have any experience with RV service. And almost 12 months later, we realized that we probably won't use the local RV service - and because Lichtsinn is 1000 miles away - we've been fortunate to find an alternate dealer with quality service only a few hours away.
rprochnow is offline   Reply With Quote