Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-04-2023, 06:59 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

2020-2021 Winnebago "Covid" RV's?

A friend is considering purchasing a Minnie Winnie but is concerned about the quality of RV's manufactured during the Covid years 2020 and 2021. My response is that even if Winnebago experienced some quality issues during those production years, their support and repair process is good enough that any problems have been resolved by now...unlike perhaps some other manufacturers. Is that the general opinion of other Winnebago owners, particularly of Minnie Winnies?
rbissinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 08:18 PM   #2
Site Team

Greetings Rbissinger,
I do not see any un-fixable problems with the Minnie Winnies built in 2020 and 2021. The only two issues I remember hearing were both associated with the 2021 Ford E-350 & E-450 Chassis with the introduction of the Godzilla motor, and they were:
  1. Ignition wires leading from the coils to the spark plugs were faulty, and all eight needed to be upgraded with better quality wires. (see the photo below)
  2. An insufficient amount of differential oil was installed at the factory, leading to roller bearing damage and possible breakage of the drive axle. The entire rear axle was replaced under recall.
Both of these repairs should be implemented fleet-wide.
As far as the house components, the Minnie Winnie is the most stable design platform of any motorhome Winnebago makes. The straightforward design makes them easier to diagnose, and to repair if need be. I would not be concerned at all with the purchase of either a 2020 or 2021 Minnie Winnie.
Welcome to the forum.
Eagle5
Old 04-05-2023, 10:41 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Hi Eagle5, thanks for the detailed response! Very helpful and reassuring!
Old 04-05-2023, 02:53 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Have him find a Ford repair place before buying it .
deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 04:35 PM   #5
Site Team

An outstanding recall can be found with an easy VIN check:
https://www.ford.com/support/recalls/
Eagle5
Old 04-05-2023, 05:05 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Good suggestions, thanks!
Old 04-09-2023, 05:57 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Winnebago quality is no better than all the other class c builders anymore IMO
MW26T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 07:51 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW26T View Post
Winnebago quality is no better than all the other class c builders anymore IMO
And you base that statement on........what?

Retired "Quiet Professional". Lifetime HSUS and ASPCA member and supporter.
71_340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 08:15 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

My personal experience with a 2021 26T
MW26T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 01:52 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Most of the "COVID issues" I recall were supply chain related. Lot's of delays and some accessories/parts procured from alternative sources. Researching the specific year/model he's looking at should reveal any common problems or quirks.
Old 04-29-2023, 03:48 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

When dealing with business issues, I am of the opinion that the "covid years" will be with us long into the future if we look closer.
We lost a million people and lots of those were the working folks, either turning out the produce or moving it.
That meant lots of shortages and lots of experience either died off or simply left the workforce.
Look at something far more simple than manufacturing and see what has happened. Go to a restaurant and what experience level do you get, compared to 3 years ago?
Ask your mailman how long he has been on the job? Mine has changed 3-4 times in the last year!

Those are jobs which often can train new people and have them up to speed in a year or less while the folks operating machines to turn out parts for an engine may have 15 years experience and still have training to do!

I'm not meaning to put down the folks with less training as it takes time and during that time, we WILL suffer thorough some big time economics lessons!
For the first time in history, I'm now older that my doctor and dentist combined!

As for Winnebago quality? I have worked with Winnebago for a long time. They have problems but they also have a plan for building an RV. They put those plans online and we can see the detail of what and how they plan things. When I've owned other brands and there was no online info, I had to call to ask and got fairly odd answers to questions that Winnebago puts online.
Things like where is the other end of this cable? Thor told me it was just "generic" and they did not have any way to tell me where it went! Did they actually not have a written plan or did they simply blow me off as a customer?
Either way, I found it better to move back to Winnebago as they at least do try to please me, both before during and after the sale!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winnebago